Caution!! Pilots are drunks

Fox "News" fear mongering.

End of the day, if you believe 90% of what you hear on fox you got bigger problems.

You think anything else is better?

There are a few, between a mash up between Reuters, al jazeera and NPR you can get a slightly better idea of what's going on, still first hand experience is and always will be the only truly reliable news.

"radio news is to be regarded as a commodity, only acceptable when saleable, and only when packaged to fit the advertising appropriation of a sponsor, then I don't care what you call it — I say it isn't news."

It happens and the ones with a serious problem eventually get caught and dismissed from the airline. ALPA has a program to help those who need it but those people have to enter the program before they "get caught". Had a few I knew at my airline.

Last edited:
You think anything else is better?

Greg, dude, anything else is better. Anything.

Well, except MSNBC anyway.

Numerous polls indicate that Fox "News" viewers (those who say they ONLY get info from Fox) are the most misinformed lot. Not uninformed, mind you, but misinformed.

But everyone wants to have their prejudices validated. Including me. Fox excels at this.

Oh, and BTW, regarding the thread title..."pilots are drunks." You mean the rest of the world is just now figuring this out? :)

Don't reward click-bait "news" titles by clicking on them....

It's an absurd allegation and simply sensational journalism.........I spent 38 years in airline operations and dealt with thousands of crews and I saw exactly one Captain that made it to the airport with a smell of alcohol on his breath going thru security. He was subsequently let go, and from all accounts deserved it. But that was it........so the story is BS.......

Greg, dude, anything else is better. Anything.

Well, except MSNBC anyway.

Numerous polls indicate that Fox "News" viewers (those who say they ONLY get info from Fox) are the most misinformed lot. Not uninformed, mind you, but misinformed.

But everyone wants to have their prejudices validated. Including me. Fox excels at this.

I suspect those polls are by Media Matters and the DNC?

I am not an alcoholic, I am a drunk.....
There is a difference.

Don't click on the click-bait links. Problem solved.

I recall one of those polls that was based on 70% of Fox News viewers believing that there were chemical weapons in Iraq prior to the Iraq war. What I don't recall is whether they updated the study after the NYT acknowledged chemical weapons in Iraq to correctly state that Fox News viewers were actually the most informed.

Get news from your local source and turn off the national stuff all together.
You can make an impact on things locally and there is a lot less pandering for clicks. <- I realize that looks like "dicks" but it is c licks.

As far as pilots being drunks...
Some probably are. Most probably are not.

Edit: in unrelated news, come check out my new band "Pandering for dicks"

Spoken like someone whose never watched fox News

Oh heck! I watch a decent amount of fox, I love o'reilly's character, the best ones are where they put o'reilly against his arch nemesis Moore, it's like a retard fight! Great entertainment!

It's very entertaining and somewhat funny, but it's FAAAAAR from being anything one would consider "news", I mean it's basically the right wing version of the today show or South Park, good TV, but not somewhere to gather facts.

Basically it's narrowcasting/entertainment.

Cable News is an oxymoron.

I stream a lot of BBC. They do a far better job covering our current events than we do. They're far less slanted also.

Most of the remainder of my info comes from the AP and Reuters Aps.

The implication from the headline is that *many* pilots are flying drunk. You have to read down into the the article to see only 0.2% of pilots have been busted for flying while drinking. But I guess the headline of "99.8% of pilots don't violate drinking rules" doesn't catch the eye quite as well...

You all know the difference between a drunk, and an alcoholic, right?

Alcoholics go to meetings :D

people do stuff,
pilots are people
pilots do stuff

what the..... geniuses

Sensationalism sells. US commercial is still the safest form of transportation ever invented.

Didn't they read "The Right Stuff"? .... Haven't they heard of Jeremiah Weed? Is this really news?

There are bad apples in every basket. Is this such a surprise? No. But sensationalism sells.

Last edited:

Not much partisan about it. The same surveys indicate that MSNBC runs a close second in the disinformation campaign.

One survey was run by a conservative economist who served in both the Reagan and Bush admins. IIRC, it was thT survey that found that Fox Viewers were more likely to believe that Saddam was involved in 9/11 by 40 points...or somesuch. Other surveys found that Fox doubled down on propaganda after 9/11 in support of our govt's actions.

Fox and MSNBC are to News what MMA is to sports. But, instead if kicking the **** out of each other they simply shout at each other and never try to listen to or understand the other side. Such BS...but sporting! And it's fun entertainment...but not news.

As I said earlier, Cable News is an oxymoron. And the popularity of "mouthpiece stations" proves that the old term "ignorance is bliss" is still quite apt.

Last edited:
I'll miss Al Jazeera America. Say what you want about the source, but it certainly didn't take sides in American domestic politics. I tend to believe what I read on the BBC about our politics. They've no dog in the hunt.

sonofa... I need a drink

off topic here, but is it just me or is anyone else tired of all the dang beards! (over 50 crew you're grandfathered in, just the current wave of bearders really starting irritate me). :)

I'll miss Al Jazeera America. Say what you want about the source, but it certainly didn't take sides in American domestic politics. I tend to believe what I read on the BBC about our politics. They've no dog in the hunt.

The BBC is certainly better than the more partisan American channels, but speaking as a Brit I have found them to be overall pretty biased in favour of the left. They are a government funded institution and so, to them, higher taxes and bigger government is always better.

The implication from the headline is that *many* pilots are flying drunk. You have to read down into the the article to see only 0.2% of pilots have been busted for flying while drinking. But I guess the headline of "99.8% of pilots don't violate drinking rules" doesn't catch the eye quite as well...
Yep, .2% is a small fraction. But if that holds (and I have no idea), then a pilot is drunk on ~56 of the >28,000 airline flights everyday in the U.S. Despite the fact that it's only .2%, that would still be very frightening if true.

I recall one of those polls that was based on 70% of Fox News viewers believing that there were chemical weapons in Iraq prior to the Iraq war. What I don't recall is whether they updated the study after the NYT acknowledged chemical weapons in Iraq to correctly state that Fox News viewers were actually the most informed.
I had a sarin artillery shell used against me as an IED in 2004. Good thing it wasn't used properly and didn't mix. We also knew and spoke to many command level members of the Iraqi Army that requested permission to engage with chemicals during the invasion of 2003.

I don't trust any news source that describes an event with more than simply saying something like "a store was robbed today, and now the weather".

That article in the OP is nothing more than sensationalistic BS. I love the "industry expert" that they quote, who has never spent a minute of time working in the airline industry. I'm betting that he got turned down by the majors....

I have been in the airline business for almost 30 years, and other than the few widely publicized events, many of which end up being BS, I have never seen, or even heard about, one of my co workers showing up for work under the influence. Ever.

I knew ONE guy back in the '80's with a cocaine problem, and he didn't last long in the industry, even after rehab. And that was long before the mandatory drug testing days.

As for Fox "news".....

Why are pilots so fascinated with it? It must be a contractual thing, because every single one of my airline's crew lounge TVs are tuned to Fox News 24-7. The old TV in my base lounge had the Fox logo so burned into the lower corner of the screen, that you could almost see it with the TV off. If I am there by myself, I either turn the channel to something more entertaining, or just turn off the TV and hide the remote. I had an unscheduled, 4 hour sit in another domicile last month, so I put the TV on CNBC, hid the remote in a drawer, put my headphones on and enjoyed the "show". It was like watching addicts jonesing for a fix...... Sorry, but I can only take so much of the Megyn Kelly leg humping. ;)

Oh, and it's not a political thing with me...... What sane person wants to watch ANY news 24-7?

No such thing as an unbiased human.

And no such thing as "news" when one doesn't care.

Embrace the "don't give a ****" in you. Cultivate the "this is none of my business".

And turn off the "news". They're all paid to say something.

The circle-jerking over BBC is hilarious. Yup, no western biases there... Or NPR! Bwahahaha.

Accept it. There is no unbiased news source left. And most of what they're telling you is news, simply isn't.

Nobody needs give a flying **** about most of the stuff published as news these days.

But everyone wants to, because they've figured out that every one of the special snowflakes needs a "cause" to root for.

Selling fear. Hey, have you heard? We have something new for you to freak out about. For no reason at all.

Back