Caught the wrong cat...now what? N/A

michael Killacky

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mikek
We live a rural area in upstate NY. The last coupla' weeks there has been a black and white kitten hanging out in the yard. He was here all the time and from the looks of him he was homeless. The girlfriend works for a vet and made a deal with a customer, If we catch and fix him, he'll take the cat. So I set up one of the humane traps and caught a different cat last night. No collar but seems nice. What the heck do I do with this cat? I don't want to steal someones cat, but it was -4f when I caught him. Does a resposible pet owner let a cat out at 1:00a.m. with no collar in -4f weather?
Keeping him is out of the question, We've got 4 dogs and they all voted to keep him, but you can't trust their motives.:)
Any Ideas?

take it to the shelter, maybe it has a chip implant.
Thats also the first place i will call if mine was missing.

Does a resposible pet owner let a cat out at 1:00a.m. with no collar in -4f weather?
Our cat would throw a collar in a matter of hours. We used those with the elastic on it and kept it tight (excepting the elastic portion) and one trip outside... naked cat. We used solid collars fitted a bit more loosely and the same result. This cat should have been named Houdini. We ultimately gave up on the collar and went with an early version of the chip.

We also had a cat door fixed to the basement window, so the cat could come and go as it pleased. Fortunately for us the cat preferred the outdoor plumbing. And yes, the cat was frequently out (for short periods!) in incredibly cold weather.

Result: I am not alarmed to hear of a cat outside naked late at night. More information is needed.

Have you seen this cat around during the day? Is it a stray or just on the prowl?

-Skip

Little bit of an update, He's a she and she's pregnant. Also has frostbitten ears and quite skinny. Once she was out of the cage, it was more apparent that she was not well-cared for, if at all. The unborn kittens aren't well and will probably be aborted.(they may already be dead). At any rate, the vet will fix the cat and she'll probably go to the shelter. The place was quite overcrowded when I was there yesterday to borrow the humane trap. It's just kind of a sad situation all the way around when nitwit people get a pet and won't take care of it.
Tonight, I'm going to reset the trap and try to get the one I started out for. I've got contingency plans for catching wild animals, I just hope I get the right cat this time.

when you said "wrong cat" and "black and white" I thought for sure the punch line was going to ask for remedies to remove skunk smells ...

Uh oh. :D

We've gotten much tamer. I remember someone on the old AOPA board answering a question like that by saying something like "Thinly sliced over beans and rice." :rofl:
Sigh.

Every time someone says something like this, we get 97 bad post reports from the slightly overly obsessed cat lovers.

*I*'m a cat lover, but at least I can laugh along with the jokes by those who don't like em.

Sigh.

Every time someone says something like this, we get 97 bad post reports from the slightly overly obsessed cat lovers.

*I*'m a cat lover, but at least I can laugh along with the jokes by those who don't like em.

Me too. We just lost our old guy last November (he was 18 1/2), but still have our son's two screwballs in the house. I love cats, but I can laugh at the jokes, too. Mainly because most of them are based on reality (which is why they are so funny).

heh, heh, heh.............

Easy Anthony. I'm sure we could both think of a myriad of uses for a displaced cat. :D However, in this era of politcal correctness, we must be respectful of feline lovers feelings!

Gary

heh, heh, heh.............

The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look like real cats - sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot. I had to wait till he moved on you before I could zero him.

Best,

Dave

Sheesh. How many bad post reports did I get? :rolleyes: I like cats and I love dogs. I have at various points in my life also had fish, frogs, rabbits, chickens, goats, and a pony as well as two wonderful dogs and countless cats in the family.

I still think it's funny. Would I actually cut a cat up and eat it? Heck no! And I didn't suggest anyone else do it either.

And yes, I can laugh at jokes at my expense too... As I figured people here could. I can't imagine people getting very far in life if they can't take a joke.

joke |j?k|
noun
a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, esp. a story with a funny punchline : she was in a mood to tell jokes.

(PS Chuck, this post is not directed at you, but at the "overly obsessed cat lovers" you mentioned.)

Last edited:
Sigh, I had a really long post, straight from the heart, but learned a new shortcut the hard way - CTRL-W closes the current window.

Basically, what I said was how good having a pound puppy feels, and that I wish more people would save animals from death.

Also - I would suggest aborting the unborn kitties because most pounds are over populated without a fresh litter of cats.

Good luck - and please people - consider the pound before you consider a breeder. Its great to have a purebred dog, but nothing feels better than saving an animal's life and taking care of it.

Good luck - and please people - consider the pound before you consider a breeder. Its great to have a purebred dog, but nothing feels better than saving an animal's life and taking care of it.

All of my animals have been from shelters (pound) except one which was a stray that adopted us.

All of my animals have been from shelters (pound) except one which was a stray that adopted us.

Feels good, doesn't it? I love my dog, pain in the ass he may be sometimes (its my fault, I'm not a very good master).

Basically, what I said was how good having a pound puppy feels, and that I wish more people would save animals from death.

Also - I would suggest aborting the unborn kitties because most pounds are over populated without a fresh litter of cats.

Ooohh.... cats + abortion. That could move this thread to spin zone (or oblivion) really fast... ;) ;)

Actually, I agree with your point: rather than breed new, we ought to take care of the ones that are here already.

The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look like real cats - sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot. I had to wait till he moved on you before I could zero him.

Dave,

I'll be back.......

Love it!

And Gary, the last displaced cat that I encountered ended up living with me for 18 years. I miss her. Tasted like chicken though. LOL!

Feels good, doesn't it? I love my dog, pain in the ass he may be sometimes (its my fault, I'm not a very good master).

It does. We adopted an older cat a few years back. She was so appreciative of having a home. We gave her toys and she would look up at us like, "toys for me? You guys are great!". She was older and had medical problems. Eventually it all went bad with a broken leg, cancer, and then a hernia. WE treated the leg with surgery, gave her chemo, and tried to have the hernia repaired but it was too much for her weak but huge heart. She died during surgery a little of 3 years since we had adopted her. But we cherished the time with her and still miss her.

Here's the update. The first (pregnant) cat was fixed,cleaned up, and taken to the shelter. Last night, I got the black and white one I was trying for. He was very skinny and beat up but very nice for a stray barn cat. He was also fixed and patched up a little and taken to the shelter also. I also gave the trap back to the Animal Control Officer as I am officially out of the cat trapping business. And personally, I like the jokes too. If people can't take a little cat humor, their life is way too serious.

Here's the update. The first (pregnant) cat was fixed,cleaned up, and taken to the shelter. Last night, I got the black and white one I was trying for. He was very skinny and beat up but very nice for a stray barn cat. He was also fixed and patched up a little and taken to the shelter also. I also gave the trap back to the Animal Control Officer as I am officially out of the cat trapping business. And personally, I like the jokes too. If people can't take a little cat humor, their life is way too serious.

You won't have a cat problem if you keep that up, the word will get out.

" Stay away from that house there, they act all nice, they feed you and clean you up, but then they take you to the Vet, now I am off balance and the girls just don't doing anthing for me anymore" :D

I think I liked Sniper Cat better ... but Dr. Evil Kitten is cute ... in a cat-evil sort of way ...

Back