Catastrophic mechanical failure likely in another Reno crash

Why does it seem like mechanical failures have been so prominent in accidents lately?

Why does it seem like mechanical failures have been so prominent in accidents lately?

At Reno everything on the airframe is stressed to the max, and they do go fast. Not much time when things go south. Folks die racing just about anything that goes fast, no surprise it happens to aircraft.

At Reno everything on the airframe is stressed to the max, and they do go fast. Not much time when things go south. Folks die racing just about anything that goes fast, no surprise it happens to aircraft.

I was thinking the same thing. I imagine these planes have gotten faster over the years, and that gives less time to react.

...very sad. sounds like from that interview he wasn't all that sure about the reliability of the airplane. I wonder if by "mechanical" they mean his Frankenstein V8 engine he had in the plane?

What a shame. I am tempted to give cliches like "that's racing" and "at least he died doing what he loves" but the bottom line it is always sad to hear of a fellow aviator's passing.

My condolences to his friends, family, loved ones.

:(

+1

Sad day, but the show must go on

I was thinking the same thing. I imagine these planes have gotten faster over the years, and that gives less time to react.

They are not faster. Props are limited by their own prop drag. The crash from three years ago was an old guy that passed out on the G-forces he couldn't withstand...he had a stroke.

They are not faster. Props are limited by their own prop drag. The crash from three years ago was an old guy that passed out on the G-forces he couldn't withstand...he had a stroke.

You need to forward your inside information to the NTSB which appears to have assigned an erroneous probable cause - and they failed to mention a stroke:

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2012/AAB1201.pdf

And you know this how? I recall the report indicating something completely different, like mechanical failure.

I don't put many people on "ignore", but you are getting real close.

Don't put him on ignore!! That's half the amusement of the Interweb!!

Besides just makes ya look weak ;)

We should start a vote to change CTLS status to "un-pilot"

He was hit with 17G's instantaneously. That'll knock anyone out.

And you know this how? I recall the report indicating something completely different, like mechanical failure.

He is already there, now if you guys can stop quoting him, that would make me happy

They are not faster.

Actually, yes they are. The Galloping Ghost had quite a few mods done over the years to increase the speed. The wings were shortened by 10 feet, fairings redone, engine tweaked, more streamlined canopy installed, etc.

IIRC, the accident report cited some untested, unapproved mods that were done to the tail feathers and that led to the trim tab failure but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

Last edited:
That is speculation. How could you possibly know he had a stroke?

You must be a troll, nobody can be as stupid as you make yourself appear and survive.

Considering you could see the trim tab detach from the plane in the video in the milliseconds before the plane went out of control, I'd go for a mechanical as well.

You must be a troll, nobody can be as stupid as you make yourself appear and survive.

He does have a point.....you could say that the effects of pulling 17.3 G's when the tab started to fail would have put all the blood in his body in his butt, having essentially the same effects as a stroke....

Not only is he an expert pilot, but he's clearly a rock star coroner!

Of course he is a troll but he makes me laugh.

I open threads and try to imagine what ridiculous crap CTLSi is going to post. Kinda like "**** my dad says" but with CTLSi. And then he surprises me.

Of course he is a troll but he makes me laugh.

Yeah, he reminds me of the little redneck guys that drive the big, jacked up 4x4s around here in an attempt to make up for their shortcomings.

You know the type. They have the fake "big rig" vertical exhaust stacks. The "I'd rather be Cummin than Strokin'" artwork in their rear window. And the bull balls hanging from the hitch.

I laugh out loud every time...and not with them.

Oh you mean the type that coal roll cars on the freeway?? my wife and I get a good laugh out of them as well

Brodozers...driven by suburban twerps who have never driven (or lived) on a dirt road, let alone put it in four wheel drive. Mandatory uniform: Flatbrim ball cap, Metal Mulisha or MMA t-shirt, Dickies shorts, wallet on a chain, knee socks and Vans. And a carefully rehearsed slouch in their posture.

Back