cataract and 3rd class medical

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
will I pass if I had cataract surgery in one eye? I can use reading glasses to correct my vision to within passing standards (I think it's 20/40 from 16"), but I'm worried about it. I'm trying to set it up for this coming week.

will I pass if I had cataract surgery in one eye? I can use reading glasses to correct my vision to within passing standards (I think it's 20/40 from 16"), but I'm worried about it. I'm trying to set it up for this coming week.
See attached

Attachments

• Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners.pdf
    50.2 KB · Views: 35
If you are worried about failing your medical and having that on you record...go get an eye exam at any eye center before your medical. I was a bit concerned cuz I knew that my right eye is no longer 20/20 but I wanted to make sure I would still pass the 20/40 requirement...even being uncorrected...before I went in for the medical, which I am and have the medical tomorrow and feel less concerned.

Search the medical topics forum and avail yourself of the medical topics forum... I sorta remember cataracts being covered. Check with Bruce for sure, but I think it's self ground while you heal, and then once the eye-surgeon says all healed and will write a status letter to that affect, you're back in the air.

Again, confirm with Bruce on the correct details...

You can pass if you have only one eye, so your situation is a piece of cake.

Bob Gardner

that's good to hear, thanks!

If there is any impairment at all (which I doubt), you will have to take a SODA ride with an ops inspector to prove that you can fly.

BTW, I have had two cataract removal/lens replacement operations and see better than I ever did before.

Bob Gardner

I feel sooo 3rd class............but that's a good thing! I passed the exam, which I'm rather excited about...next step.....S O L O !!!!!! should be within the next 2 weeks, I'm guessing.

May require an 8500-7 and a status letter from the cataract surgeon.

If the cataract surgery was iwthing 2 years, and you were issued, the agency will eventually get around to demanding a note from the surgeon saying your vision is stable and that you had no complications.....unless you didn't tell us that your AME did that already.

See page 59 of the current AME guide.

Last edited:
If the cataract surgery was iwthing 2 years, and you were issued, the agency will eventually get around to demanding a note from the surgeon saying your vision is stable and that you had no complications.....unless you didn't tell us that your AME did that already.

See page 59 of the current AME guide.

surgery was 5 years ago and the AME said I may have to provide a letter or two if requested. that is all fine, I can do that if requested, but for now I'm holding a valid 3rd class medical/student pilot certificate!

Back