Catalina Weekend trip

problematique

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jay G
I'm trying to set up a weekend trip to Catalina Island, possibly camping. Looking for some suggestions on what to do while over there (just me and the wife). Also would like some suggestions on transportation. Good time of year to camp. Upcoming event info. I plan on arriving on a Saturday morning hopefully on a 3 day weekend.
I'm well versed regarding the difficulties some pilots have landing on the runway, so no need to steer the conversation in that direction.
Thanks.

I’ve never camped there and am unsure how much of an option that is so no advice on that.

If you want to spend a weekend there, I’d suggest spending it in the town of Avalon. It’s touristy but a pretty nice place. There are good restaurants and bars. Fun little shops to browse and shop in. Snorkeling. Kayaking. People watching. Whale watching. And more.

And only since you mentioned it, the rumors about the runway are exaggerated.

If you want to spend a weekend there, I’d suggest spending it in the town of Avalon. It’s touristy but a pretty nice place. There are good restaurants and bars. Fun little shops to browse and shop in. Snorkeling. Kayaking. People watching. Whale watching. And more.
Last time I went there, we rode the ferry over from Long Beach for the day. A few folks on board said they were staying for a week! I was ready to leave by the time evening came around.

After you ride around Avalon on a golf cart, eat lunch, visit a few shops... there’s not much else to do. Beautiful place though, I just wouldn’t feel inclined to spend more than a day there. YMMV

Seems to be NOTAM closed until the end of April for the runway work.

which rumors?

There are threads about this... the runway was in "fair" condition, has a pronounce hump in the middle which messes with your view of the length, and the cliff in front of it can cause some altitude interpretation issues. That's why all the clubs and operators require CFI checkouts to go there.

There are threads about this... the runway was in "fair" condition, has a pronounce hump in the middle which messes with your view of the length, and the cliff in front of it can cause some altitude interpretation issues. That's why all the clubs and operators require CFI checkouts to go there.

I was asking skydog.

Airport will reopen late April. Don’t think they are fixing the hump though, just resurface.

As others said, make sure the runway is open again before planning to fly in. As far as camping options, check out Little Harbor campground. You can take the bus from the airport to the campground BUT make sure you check the bus schedule to plan your arrival.

As others said, make sure the runway is open again before planning to fly in. As far as camping options, check out Little Harbor campground. You can take the bus from the airport to the campground BUT make sure you check the bus schedule to plan your arrival.

Runway? Who needs a freakin' runway to go to Avalon? These guys don't.

:D

All of the ones that say the runway is difficult and dangerous, of which there are many.

But oops, I'm not Skydog either.

interesting. I've never really heard 'dangerous' before. 'difficult', meh, but I'm glad I brought an instructor with me when I landed there. I wouldn't need to again, I just thought it was the right thing to do (and for me it was). the main thing I've always heard was the CONDITION the runway was in. which, when I landed there in 2017, it was in pretty poor shape. odd that they repaved the runway if it was in such good condition. I wouldn't think they'd repave the runway if it was in good shape or just going off 'rumors' that it was in bad shape.

OK thanks for the tips!
Confirm completion of runway, check bus schedule, investigate Little Harbor campground, check out Avalon, watch out for tour float plane in area... dispel any rumors regarding landing difficulty on said runway :rolleyes: (just like I did when they said Sedona airport was tough :p)

I assume you mean all the southern California clubs. My club doesn't require an AVX checkout, presumably because it wouldn't be practical to do it at an airport that's 300 miles away.

interesting. I've never really heard 'dangerous' before. 'difficult', meh, but I'm glad I brought an instructor with me when I landed there. I wouldn't need to again, I just thought it was the right thing to do (and for me it was). the main thing I've always heard was the CONDITION the runway was in. which, when I landed there in 2017, it was in pretty poor shape. odd that they repaved the runway if it was in such good condition. I wouldn't think they'd repave the runway if it was in good shape or just going off 'rumors' that it was in bad shape.

Yeah, I was referring to the ones about it being difficult or tricky or dangerous. None of which I found to be true based on several trips over from TOA when I lived there. As to the condition of the runway, I recall it being just a little rough when I was there but nothing of real concern. But the last time I was there was in December 2010 so continued deterioration would definitely have made it much worse. So with no interim maintenance I could see it being in very poor condition in 2017.

I just heard the airport reopening ceremony will be held on Friday May 3rd, 2019. Circle the date on your calendar.

Back