Catalina Runway getting re-done!

I'll definitely christen that runway when it's done. Have been avoiding it so far due to pathetic surface.

I'll definitely christen that runway when it's done. Have been avoiding it so far due to pathetic surface.

hhmmm, weird, there was a guy on here who said the rwy was fine, odd that they would repave it if it was fine.

hhmmm, weird, there was a guy on here who said the rwy was fine, odd that they would repave it if it was fine.
It wasn't fine. We landed safely, but the cracks and debris were scary.

Our tax dollas at work? :popcorn:
There is some sort of program where the military trains by performing useful infrastructure work. At least that's better than them blowing things up and rebuilding them so they can blow them up again.

There is some sort of program where the military trains by performing useful infrastructure work. At least that's better than them blowing things up and rebuilding them so they can blow them up again.

But where’s the fun in that? Cool to blow stuff up!

The Chart Supplement entry doesn't sound so fine:

"Rwy 04–22 sfc rough with numerous potholes and soft spots. Potholes and
loose pavement fragments on rwy."

Once they fix it, I plan on visiting there again.

The Chart Supplement entry doesn't sound so fine:

"Rwy 04–22 sfc rough with numerous potholes and soft spots. Potholes and
loose pavement fragments on rwy."

yep, I'm mostly being a wise arse (shocker, I know). in all the other Catalina threads where people complained about the rwy there was always one guy who came on and said how the rwy is completely fine and everyone is overreacting.

yep, I'm mostly being a wise arse (shocker, I know). in all the other Catalina threads where people complained about the rwy there was always one guy who came on and said how the rwy is completely fine and everyone is overreacting.

That might have been me but when I said fine I meant fine for practicing off airport landings.

I was disputing them, not you!

“That guy” probably flies a cub with tundra tires....

I also made the comment that it wasn't that big a deal landing at Catalina. Also, said wish they would resurface it. It was not bad enough to stop me from enjoying going there many times in my non-tundra tired Comanche. Glad that they have figured out a way to make it much better. It had chunks of loose asphalt, a ski jump, in addition to the main hump. None of which stopped me or many other pilots from going there regularly. Never saw any damage to any planes. Just part of the adventure. I won't miss the ruggedness that it was. I usually buy the annual pass.

in my opinion, everyone should experience Catalina, shtty runway or not. it's a frackin awesome place to fly into. just do it.

Back