Catalina, KAVX

DrPappy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrPappy
I will be going on a business trip to Laguna Beach, CA. I have one day free (and zero interest in Disney) so I thought it would be really cool to fly to Catalina Island. So I would like to find a CFI and plane to accomplish this. It looks like John Wayne (KSNA) would be the closest to me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for flight schools out of KSNA or somewhere close?

Just gave Garrett a call, seems like a friendly guy. I am scheduled to go buzzing around with him; watch out SoCal. Thanks again.

Tell him Robert in Fort Worth says hi! [He won't know who Ravioli is]

I will be going on a business trip to Laguna Beach, CA. I have one day free (and zero interest in Disney) so I thought it would be really cool to fly to Catalina Island. So I would like to find a CFI and plane to accomplish this. It looks like John Wayne (KSNA) would be the closest to me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for flight schools out of KSNA or somewhere close?
They have a great buffalo burger!!

They say everything is more expensive in Cali, well their 172 rentals are definitely cheaper than Georgia's
Having lived in CA and now Virginia, with the exception of hangars, General Aviation is MUCH cheaper in SoCal than many places on the east coast. But that is largely due to the volume of activity in SoCal compared to other parts of the country.

Still wouldn’t want to be a resident of that state though.....

Having lived in CA and now Virginia, with the exception of hangars, General Aviation is MUCH cheaper in SoCal than many places on the east coast. But that is largely due to the volume of activity in SoCal compared to other parts of the country.

Still wouldn’t want to be a resident of that state though.....
Well that's a coincidence, because I wouldn't want to be a resident of Virginia! ;)

They say everything is more expensive in Cali, well their 172 rentals are definitely cheaper than Georgia's o_O

I noticed that at Fullerton with the Griggs several years ago ... their rental rates were lower with better equipped 172s than our west Texas schools. That'd be a great place to get an IR rating.

Virginia is far from perfect, but having lived in both states, I feel much better paying taxes to the Commonwealth than the Bureau of Equalization.
I'm happy for you. Got any recommendations for flying into KAVX?

Nauga,
when everything looks like a nail

I'm happy for you. Got any recommendations for flying into KAVX?

Nauga,
when everything looks like a nail

fly by the numbers, specifically TPA and a nice normal pattern if you can. you will probably question your altitude in the pattern but if your numbers are right, it'll be just fine.

Fly to Two Harbors then head towards AVX. Report on CTAF over Two Harbors. At least that was what they wanted when I lived in SoCal and flew there.

On the way over and back keep an eye out for whales in the channel. I was lucky to see a few grays and one huge blue.

Do not balk at the landing fee. It is worth it.

Eat a buffalo/bison burger.

If the flowers by the patio are in bloom, hummingbirds are likely to be flying around them. Lots of hummingbirds. I forget the time of year they are there.

If you have time, take the bus down to Avalon for a couple of hours or more.

Enjoy!

You need to find Lou!

Back