Catalina Island, CA

Kenny Taylor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kenny Taylor
We finally made it to Catalina Island yesterday. Awesome trip all around. We'd intended to cross the LAX SFRA and buzz over LAX at 3,500. Established at 3,500, a few miles north of SMO, Socal handed us off, and we couldn't receive the SMO VOR to cross. We ended up looping back to the west side of the bravo shelf and shooting down across the ocean. In hindsight, that was way easier.

We went direct Two Harbors and joined the 45 for rwy 22. The approach and landing weren't bad at all. The advice I'd received was 2,100 ft when turning final and a steeper than normal descent. We caught a bit of a downdraft when approaching the runway and added some power to compensate. The first 1,800 ft of runway is sloped up, and it gives the illusion that you're running out of runway on the ground roll. Counting the taxiways is a sanity check--there are two between the runway ends, and we were down and slowing before the first.

Upon arriving, we went up to the 'tower' to pay the landing fee and chat. The restaurant was pretty good (burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs). We did a 2.8-mile hike around the airport. If we were there longer, we would have taken the shuttle bus down to Avalon. It's a bit pricey and only runs at specific times during the day. Awesome experience overall, and it's definitely getting added to the weekend fly to lunch list.

Attachments

• airport.jpeg
    airport.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 61
  • island-6.jpeg
    island-6.jpeg
    635.4 KB · Views: 52
  • island-7.jpeg
    island-7.jpeg
    634.8 KB · Views: 51
  • island-8.jpeg
    island-8.jpeg
    1,001.1 KB · Views: 52
  • island-9.jpeg
    island-9.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 58
  • kenny-shy-hike.jpeg
    kenny-shy-hike.jpeg
    689.9 KB · Views: 61
  • shy-dad-2.jpg
    shy-dad-2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
We finally made it to Catalina Island yesterday. Awesome trip all around. We'd intended to cross the LAX SFRA and buzz over LAX at 3,500. Established at 3,500, a few miles north of SMO, Socal handed us off, and we couldn't receive the SMO VOR to cross. We ended up looping back to the west side of the bravo shelf and shooting down across the ocean. In hindsight, that was way easier.

Thanks for sharing. Curious why you couldn't receive the SMO VOR? Was it a problem in your plane or do you suspect the VOR?

Nice! I've gone out to Catalina Island a couple times in rentals. Gotta get the new Colt out there soon, looking forward to not feeling pressed by a timeline to get the rental back. I usually fly the coastal route down to the Vincent Thomas Bridge reporting point then shoot out over the ocean to the Island. It reduces the distance of the water crossing and starts me at a higher altitude as I start over the water. LAX has given me the option on the return to fly the coast all the way back to the Oxnard/Camarillo area. That was a real pretty flight for my wife as I stayed just off the coast giving her a view of the PCH all the way home. Coming over Laguna Peak and looking at Point Mugu was impressive as that is my base and I have a connection to it.

Thanks for sharing. Curious why you couldn't receive the SMO VOR? Was it a problem in your plane or do you suspect the VOR?
Still unsure. Others were crossing, so I assume it was working. We tried both NAV radios, verified the frequency, volume, etc. and could not get it. On the flight back, I tuned the Camarillo VOR, and it came right up.

Still unsure. Others were crossing, so I assume it was working. We tried both NAV radios, verified the frequency, volume, etc. and could not get it. On the flight back, I tuned the Camarillo VOR, and it came right up.
Assuming either a panel or iPad GPS, you could simply go from the waypoint SMO direct VPLSR (this is the designated SMO radial)... no need for VOR nav.

Others may have been using their GPSs to make the crossing. The waypoints are SMO (on the north end) and VPLSR (on the south).

edit: Wayne’s post went up as I was typing mine!

did any of these apply to your flight:

1. VOR & DME UNUSBL 070-080 BYD 30 NM BLO 7000 FT; 265-275 BYD 25 NM BLO 14000 FT; 275-005 BYD 30 NM BLO 14000 FT.
(sorry, didn't feel like reading and figuring stuff out on my own)

did any of these apply to your flight:

1. VOR & DME UNUSBL 070-080 BYD 30 NM BLO 7000 FT; 265-275 BYD 25 NM BLO 14000 FT; 275-005 BYD 30 NM BLO 14000 FT.
(sorry, didn't feel like reading and figuring stuff out on my own)
This is a little easier to figure out:
!SMO 06/026 SMO NAV VOR U/S 2306190153-2310182000EST CREATED: 19 Jun 2023 01:53:00 SOURCE: POCC

Last edited:
Assuming either a panel or iPad GPS, you could simply go from the waypoint SMO direct VPLSR (this is the designated SMO radial)... no need for VOR nav.
Forgot about VPLSR.. We didn't have a GPS in this plane, and my EFB (iFly) didn't recognize VPLSR, so we planned for VOR. But that would explain why we say others transiting it.

Forgot about VPLSR.. We didn't have a GPS in this plane, and my EFB (iFly) doesn't recognize VPLSR, so we planned for VOR. But that would explain why we say others transiting it.
Does your EFB have an OBS mode?

Looking back and my WX brief, under the VNY ILS procedure notes:
SMO VOR OUT OFSERVICE. 202306082040-202309202040EST

I own that one. :confused: Other than that, it was a great flight.

do you wear life vests for that trip?
We didn't, and looking at others out there, it doesn't look like many do. It's normally a pretty quick hop across from shore to the island, as long as one doesn't go the long way around the bravo, and that water is full of recreational boating. If I was carrying a passenger who wasn't a competent swimmer, I'd pack a vest for them.

When I went there, I spiraled up tp a high enough altitude so that we were only out of gliding distance from land for a relatively short portion of the crossing.

Thanks. I'm planning a trip there in a few months but am unfamiliar with the LAX area. So, from SMO you head west past Point Dume, and turn south on V27? Or is that "the long way around the bravo"?

Thanks. I'm planning a trip there in a few months but am unfamiliar with the LAX area. So, from SMO you head west past Point Dume, and turn south on V27? Or is that "the long way around the bravo"?
From SMO use the LAX Special flight rules to head south towards Point Fermin. Then head west to the island. The special flight rules will have you at 3500 ft over LAX so you'll get a great view of it as well.

This might help.
As mentioned above - you can do this with GPS instead of VOR. Use SMO as the starting waypoint when entering the special flight rules corridor over Santa Monica and VPLSR as the exiting waypoint over the intersection of the 405 freeway and Hawthorn Blvd. Squawk 1201 while making the transition and make position calls using 128.55. Speed limit is 140 knots indicated.

You didn't mention where you are starting your flight from. If you're coming from the central valley, then I'd probably use the Hollywood Park route instead

LAX SFR.png

Many YouTube videos out there as well covering multiple approaches.

According to the Mini Route portion of the chart, SMO-VPLSR is the SMO 128deg radial. The SFRA says to use the SMO 132deg radial. Is the 4deg difference close enough?

1691353112524.png

According to the Mini Route portion of the chart, SMO-VPLSR is the SMO 128deg radial. The SFRA says to use the SMO 132deg radial. Is the 4deg difference close enough?

Since a VOR receiver can be off by as much as six degrees and still be legal to use, my guess would be yes.

This might help.
As mentioned above - you can do this with GPS instead of VOR. Use SMO as the starting waypoint when entering the special flight rules corridor over Santa Monica and VPLSR as the exiting waypoint over the intersection of the 405 freeway and Hawthorn Blvd. Squawk 1201 while making the transition and make position calls using 128.55. Speed limit is 140 knots indicated.

You didn't mention where you are starting your flight from. If you're coming from the central valley, then I'd probably use the Hollywood Park route instead

View attachment 119647

Thanks, this is all incredibly helpful. I'm coming from norcal so I could go over the water and miss the bravo entirely but not sure if that's best either.

Thanks, this is all incredibly helpful. I'm coming from norcal so I could go over the water and miss the bravo entirely but not sure if that's best either.
Coming from the north, I'd recommend the coastal route over LAX. You'll be at 5500 ft until Point Fermin area and have a shorter water crossing to the island. If you want to fly higher there are quite a few VFR corridors through the LAX airspace.

Coming from the north, I'd recommend the coastal route over LAX. You'll be at 5500 ft until Point Fermin area and have a shorter water crossing to the island. If you want to fly higher there are quite a few VFR corridors through the LAX airspace.
I noticed that the Class B ceiling is only 10000MSL. I would imagine that going over the top would give you even more gliding distance.

I noticed that the Class B ceiling is only 10000MSL. I would imagine that going over the top would give you even more gliding distance.
Good point, as I live in the area climbing to 10K isn't realistic. But if coming from farther away it would keep things simpler while giving you more glide distance. I imagine you'd start your descent into Catalina almost as soon as you get off the coast.

We went direct Two Harbors and joined the 45 for rwy 22. The approach and landing weren't bad at all. The advice I'd received was 2,100 ft when turning final and a steeper than normal descent. We caught a bit of a downdraft when approaching the runway and added some power to compensate. The first 1,800 ft of runway is sloped up, and it gives the illusion that you're running out of runway on the ground roll. Counting the taxiways is a sanity check--there are two between the runway ends, and we were down and slowing before the first.

Upon arriving, we went up to the 'tower' to pay the landing fee and chat. The restaurant was pretty good (burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs). We did a 2.8-mile hike around the airport. If we were there longer, we would have taken the shuttle bus down to Avalon. It's a bit pricey and only runs at specific times during the day. Awesome experience overall, and it's definitely getting added to the weekend fly to lunch list.
DSCN0033.JPG

This is about 20 years ago. The entire island was, for years , owned by the Wrigley family of gum and Wrigley Field . They owned a beautifully maintained DC-3 in its original airline configuration. Spent some time with their chief pilot. His explanation , " those jet guys tried to sell the old man a jet but he told them he wanted an airplane where he could walk back to the bar." The pilot had worked for the family for several decades

This is about 20 years ago. The entire island was, for years , owned by the Wrigley family of gum and Wrigley Field . They owned a beautifully maintained DC-3 in its original airline configuration. Spent some time with their chief pilot. His explanation , " those jet guys tried to sell the old man a jet but he told them he wanted an airplane where he could walk back to the bar." The pilot had worked for the family for several decades
I’d like to see photos of that airplane.

I’d like to see photos of that airplane.

1wrigleyjohnsonherlindatony.jpg

Oh no, I guess I can't fly to Catalina today because the SMO VOR is out of service! How will I ever find my way through the SFRA?

Good grief. Just stay between the freeway (405) and the beach and you're fine. Is says so right on the chart. You don't need any nav equipment at all.

I'll give the out-of-towners a pass because the airspace can be intimidating, but the rest of you should be embarrassed. You're in good company, though. I watched one popular YouTuber fly all the way around the east end of the Bravo because she didn't think she could transit the SFRA without a NAV radio installed in the airplane. And she is supposed to be a CFI. Wasn't clear if she thought it was legally required, or just couldn't navigate the airspace without it. Either way, someone needs to brush up.

C.

Speaking of Catalina island….what are they doing to the southern end (south of Avalon)?

e955084bf68d79c50fc7a58430786a56.jpg

“Condos over there! Plenty of parking!”

Speaking of Catalina island….what are they doing to the southern end (south of Avalon)?
on the sectional, it shows mining there... and the Wrigleys still own 90+% of the island... but it's in a 50 year public-benefit conservancy so they don't have to pay the property tax bill.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

This goes back some years but you could go west out to near Pt Dume and request direct cat harbor from LA Approach with an altitude inside the TCA provided it was VFR conditions They would provide advisories

on the sectional, it shows mining there... and the Wrigleys still own 90+% of the island... but it's in a 50 year public-benefit conservancy so they don't have to pay the property tax bill.

Paul
They may be gathering fill for something or it might have been winter storms. Catalina used to provide ballast for ships departing the area having delivered their cargos . There was an era when the route from San Francisto to Boston went around the south tip of South America ( Cape Horn) . Without cargo or ballast the sailing vessels are going to have a tough time.

That pic of the southern end of Catalina is showing where they pull gravel and sand for construction. That's been there for as long as I've been flying over Catalina (20+ years) and I'm sure it was there before that.

Just stay between the freeway (405) and the beach and you're fine. Is says so right on the chart. You don't need any nav equipment at all.
Are you sure about that?
1693675246692.png

Back