Cat Rules

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetic]Cat Games:[/font]

• [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetic]Catch Mouse:[/font]
    The humans would have you believe that those lumps under the covers are their feet and hands. They are lying. They are actually Bed Mice, rumored to be the most delicious of all the mice in the world, though no cat has ever been able to catch one. Rumor also has it that only the most ferocious attack can stun them long enough for you to dive under the covers to get them. Maybe YOU can be the first to taste the Bed Mouse!
  • [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetic]King of the Hill:[/font]
    This game must be played with at least one other cat. The more, the merrier! One or both of the sleeping humans is Hill 303 which must be defended at all costs from the other cat(s). Anything goes. This game allows for the development of unusual tactics as one must take the unstable playing theater into account.
[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetic]Warning:[/font] Playing either of these games to excess will result in expulsion from the bed and possibly from the bedroom. Should the humans grow restless, immediately begin purring and cuddle up to them. This should buy you some time until they fall asleep again. If one happens to be on a human when this occurs, this cat wins the round of King of the Hill.

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetic]Toys:[/font]
Any small item is a potential toy. If a human tries to confiscate it, this means that it is a good toy. Run with it under the bed. Look suitably outraged when the human grabs you and takes it away. Always watch where it is put so you can steal it later. Two reliable sources of toys are dresser tops and wastebaskets. There are several types of cat toys.

• Bright shiny things like keys, brooches, or coins should be hidden so that the other cat(s) or humans can't play with them. They are generally good for playing hockey with on uncarpeted floors.
  • Dangly and/or string-like things such as shoelaces, cords, gold chains, and dental floss (& Q-tips) also make excellent toys. They are favorites of humans who like to drag them across the floor for us to pounce on.
  • When a string is dragged under a newspaper or throw rug, it magically becomes the Paper/Rug Mouse and should be killed at all costs. Take care, though. Humans are sneaky and will try to make you lose your dignity.
[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetic]Paper Bags:[/font]
Within paper bags dwell the bag mice. They are small and camouflaged to be the same color as the bag, so they are hard to see. But you can easily hear the crinkling noises they make as they scurry around the bag. Anything, up to and including shredding the bag, can be done to kill them. Note: any other cat you may find in a bag hunting for bag mice is fair game for a sneak attack, which will usually result in a great Tagmatch.

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetic]Food:[/font]
In order to get the energy to sleep, play, and hamper, a cat must eat. Eating, however, is only half the fun. The other half is getting the food. Cats have two ways to obtain food: convincing a human you are starving to death and must be fed now; and hunting for it oneself. The following are guidelines for getting fed.

• When the humans are eating, make sure you leave the tip of your tail in their dishes when they are not looking.
  • Never eat food from your own bowl if you can steal some from the table. Never drink from your own water bowl if a human's glass is full enough to drink from.
  • Should you catch something of your own outside, it is only polite to attempt to get to know it. Be insistent. Your food will usually not be so polite and try to leave.
  • Table scraps are delicacies with which the humans are unfortunately unwilling to readily part. It is beneath the dignity of a cat to beg outright for food as lower forms of life such as dogs will, but several techniques exist for ensuring that the humans don't forget you exist. These include, but are not limited to: jumping onto the lap of the "softest" human and purring loudly; lying down in the doorway between the dining room and the kitchen, the "direct stare", and twining around people's legs as they sit and eat while meowing plaintively.

no, two dogs. Newfoundlands. I just think cats are funny to watch, not own. ;)

Michael said:
no, two dogs. Newfoundlands. I just think cats are funny to watch, not own. ;)

You are making Newfies live in Arizona??? Those poor dogs! I hope you shave them and have a big air conditioner.

Much as I hate the things, you have to admit chihuahuas are adapted to their environment. Newfies are adapted for climates about 30 degrees poleward and 100 degrees cooler.

Judy

judypilot said:
Newfies are adapted for climates about 30 degrees poleward and 100 degrees cooler.
I must be a newfie... :D I am SO glad our heat wave is, at least temporarily over... high today is supposed to be in the low 70s, after oh too many days of triple digit temps (I know, no sympathy from the AZ crowd) ...

gkainz said:
I must be a newfie... :D I am SO glad our heat wave is, at least temporarily over... high today is supposed to be in the low 70s, after oh too many days of triple digit temps (I know, no sympathy from the AZ crowd) ...
Yeah, we'll be thinking about you in January. ;)

Brian Austin said:
I LOVE January!!! I can always put on another sweater for January, but can only take off so much for July and August... :hairraise:

gkainz said:
I LOVE January!!! I can always put on another sweater for January, but can only take off so much for July and August... :hairraise:
Ah...but it's so much fun sitting around the outdoor malls in July...watching the young ladies. The dress code is rather lax around here. :D

Put another sweater on while you're shoveling your driveway and paying a chiropractor for daily visits. BTDT. I'll pass.

Boy, this thread got hijacked. One more dig at Arizona - it's great fun to come down in February for meetings when the temperature is in the 70s. We haven't seen 70s in months and the locals are wearing coats and complaining about how cold it is. 70s? Cold? Am I missing something here? :D

gkainz said:

January in Denver is a non-event. 50 - 55F is the norm and the abundant sun and low humidity makes it feel like 70F. Skiing in the morning and golf in the afternoon is a regular pastime. July/August in Denver is also comfortable. We just had record setting heat for the last week and it ws not oppresive here. However, in Arizona they can't use their pools because the water IS TOO HOT. Ha Ha. :)

Brian Austin said:

Good, come up and visit and realize you don't need a jacket most of the time, unless you go up in the mountains. Denver is a high plains desert not in the mountains and offers one of the best climate in the U.S. year round. But, please don't tell anyone, its a secret. :)

P.S. The 3 - 4 inches of snow we get at any one time melts the same day as soon as the sun comes out. My wife was concerned she needed a 4 wheel drive car when we moved out here, but now realizes she should of had one back east instead.

Last edited:
Brian Austin said:
Ah...but it's so much fun sitting around the outdoor malls in July...watching the young ladies. The dress code is rather lax around here. :D
I went to San Diego State. San Diego State in September. Use your imagination.

jkaduk said:

John is right, California has a wonderful climate. The problem is....its in California. :rofl:

jkaduk said:
Been to SD twice in the last month. I don't NEED my imagination. Oceanside Beach, anyone? :rolleyes:

Anthony said:
John is right, California has a wonderful climate. The problem is....its in California. :rofl:

Anthony,

You got that right. And I'm a third generation Californian. I feel like I got driven out by all the immigrants from elsewhere.

Well, about an hour and a half ago, I landed in Palm Springs. I stepped out of the airplane, and whammo! Not that I ever needed reminding, but it's a good reminder of why I left southern Arizona (yeah, I know that technically, PSP is in California, but climatically it's in S AZ). I'd almost managed to forget that the heat here is like a hammer blow.

Had a GREAT flight down from PUW. What a contrast to last month, when I flew from PUW to Reno and was beaten black and blue by turbulence! Smooth as glass almost the whole way, with occasional light chop once I got south of Ely. Nellis Approach was great--they flight followed me through the MOAs north of Las Vegas so that I could (a) go more direct and (b) avoid fire TFRs and T-storm buildups on my original route farther east. I made it through Las Vegas just in time. There was a convective sigmet between LV and Phoenix, and they weren't kidding. Skirted some nasty-looking cells, but had plenty of clearance. Airlines were having to deviate all over the place. Once I got about 50 miles SW of LV, it was all clear, but looking back, I could see that I'd really gotten through right before the door shut.

Judy

Brian Austin said:
Put another sweater on while you're shoveling your driveway and paying a chiropractor for daily visits. BTDT. I'll pass.

teenagers were created to shovel the driveway.

and after they are succesfully booted out of the house, hiring the in-shape bronzed guy that mows the lawn in the summer to do the shoveling whilst drinking hot buttered rum inside and watching is the way to go....:D

mmm, maybe sitting in the hot tub with a hot toddy while watching the shoveling .....

Anthony said:
Good, come up and visit and realize you don't need a jacket most of the time, unless you go up in the mountains. Denver is a high plains desert not in the mountains and offers one of the best climate in the U.S. year round. But, please don't tell anyone, its a secret. :)

P.S. The 3 - 4 inches of snow we get at any one time melts the same day as soon as the sun comes out. My wife was concerned she needed a 4 wheel drive car when we moved out here, but now realizes she should of had one back east instead.
My wife was visiting her son there 2 or 3 years ago when you got 72 inches. She used it as an excuse to stay an extra day or two.
Gary

sierra said:
teenagers were created to shovel the driveway.

and after they are succesfully booted out of the house, hiring the in-shape bronzed guy that mows the lawn in the summer to do the shoveling whilst drinking hot buttered rum inside and watching is the way to go....:D

mmm, maybe sitting in the hot tub with a hot toddy while watching the shoveling .....

what about inviting the in shape bronzed guy to the hot tub, locking the door, and paying the teens to shovel whilst watching the interior scenery?

terry

But there are no bronzed guys in my neighborhood, particularly in the winter. :(

No teenagers in my house either. :p

And the cats don't do a good job shoveling snow.. :no:

Everskyward said:
But there are no bronzed guys in my neighborhood, particularly in the winter. :(

No teenagers in my house either. :p

Ditto on the above, and I'll take an airplane over a bronzed guy, who would probably just whine and complain when it got down to -35 on the frozen tundra whether or not I gave him a preheat. :rofl: :rofl:

but it was a nice thought. :)

EDIT - I typed one of my cat attack stories that these rules reminded me of.

I then determined that while funny, its not appropriate for this board. My apologies.

Ghery said:
Boy, this thread got hijacked.
That's because no one has anything good to say about cats. :rofl:

BTW, has anyone seen the promo for "The Dead Zone" on the USA channel? John Smith (psychic who "sees" when he touches things) pets his cat at the table. When he does, John sees the cat using up his 9 lives -- chewing the light cord, being chased by a big dog, climbing in a dumpster, getting locked in the fish market freezer, chewing the light cord again...

Finally, he lets go and mutters "I'm getting a dog."

Bwahahahahaha! :rofl::rofl:

-Rich

Everskyward said:

Ahahahaha! You win this thread! The minute I read that, a perfect mental image formed!!!

-Rich

P.S. But they're good snipers....

gturner said:
My wife was visiting her son there 2 or 3 years ago when you got 72 inches. She used it as an excuse to stay an extra day or two.
Gary

It happens, but is rare and it melts right away. But you're right, we can get dumped on. Hasn't happend in a while. Might be fun to get a couple days off.

NickDBrennan said:
EDIT - I typed one of my cat attack stories that these rules reminded me of.

I then determined that while funny, its not appropriate for this board. My apologies.

Ooh, I'll bet I know that story. It involved human dangling bits, right? I thought of it, too, when I read that, but didn't think I could reconstruct the whole thing. It was hilarious. Maybe you could get special dispensation from the forum gods. Of course, maybe it was only hilarious because I'm female. ;)

Judy

Funny thing is, if we're talking the same bits, I have a true life story of the same ilk.....

So my date says "Please don't kill my cat.... you can tell your friends you did though". No, really. I'd forgotten that story until you two brought up the memory :eek: . Ouch. (yes, the kitten lived........)

T Bone said:
Funny thing is, if we're talking the same bits, I have a true life story of the same ilk.....

So my date says "Please don't kill my cat.... you can tell your friends you did though". No, really. I'd forgotten that story until you two brought up the memory :eek: . Ouch. (yes, the kitten lived........)

The Vietnamese restaurant near me prefers Siamese cats. Don't know why.

Last edited:
Everskyward said:

And I bet you'd have to pay extra to have them shovel snow with no shirt on! :hairraise:

Everskyward said:

Maybe you should sharpen them, or install a longer handle. :D

Everskyward said:

And I bet you'd have to pay extra to have them shovel snow with no shirt on! :hairraise:

Everskyward said:

flyingcheesehead said:

Man, you can sat that again! :D

Anthony said:
Use your imagination. :)

Careful, I think my cat heard you, and he has secret super powers....like laser-beam eyes...he'll come get you, I swear !

laser_eyes.jpg

Back