Carrying Gasoline?

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
is it legal to fly with a tank of gasoline? I feel there are some regulations for it but I can't find any. Would someone care to enlighten me? Just curious because I was wondering if it would be okay to carry a moped

is it legal to fly with a tank of gasoline? I feel there are some regulations for it but I can't find any. Would someone care to enlighten me? Just curious because I was wondering if it would be okay to carry a moped
I think it actually violates some Haz Mat rules... There's an FAA inspector near to me that made it clear to me that there are some other rules that apply besides the FARs in part 61 and 91.

Ryan

I think most if us fly with at least two.

For a moped, you'll need to vent it overboard. I don't think it's a very good idea for that reason.

There is no specific FAR on this, although if you hauled gasoline or any other equally flammable liquid in unapproved containers, they'd probably have a good case for 91.13 careless/reckless, especially if a fire started -- see this accident for why. The Title 49 rules on this are generally not applicable to noncommercial operations, but if you're a commercial operator, you'd need DoT-approved containers. In addition, I've seen 2-wheeled motor vehicles tip over and leak fuel more than once. All things considered, if you're going to carry a moped, I think you'd be extremely unwise not to empty and vent the fuel tank before flight.

Last edited:
If you want real data look for tiltle 49 part 175 subpart C.

175.310 transportation of flammable liquid fuel by aircraft

I considered carrying two 5 gallon jerry cans of gas. Being a good engineer, my first question was "what's the worst that could happen". The answer was "sparks from the flap motor would explosively ignite the gas vapors".

I didn't and don't carry gas in the back of the airplane.

I thought about this too- why not an electric moped?

Or, what I'm leaning towards, a folding electric bicycle. Not fast but no gasoline, pedal power if the battery runs out, and it's legally a bike so no registration or anything to worry about.

Or, what I'm leaning towards, a folding electric bicycle. Not fast but no gasoline, pedal power if the battery runs out, and it's legally a bike so no registration or anything to worry about.

Yea good idea I'll look into them.

If you want real data look for tiltle 49 part 175 subpart C.

175.310 transportation of flammable liquid fuel by aircraft

175.1 Purpose, scope and applicability.

(a) This part prescribes requirements that apply to the transportation of hazardous materials in commerce aboard (including attached to or suspended from) aircraft. The requirements in this part are in addition to other requirements contained in parts 171, 172, 173, 178, and 180 of this subchapter.

I carry a drained out Sundiro Mantis in the back, it runs fine on Avgas from my wing drain.....

Back