Carrying Digital Copy of Medical Certificate?

vdehart

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
vdehart
Would it be in accordance with the FARs to carry a digital copy of one's medical certificate on Foreflight in lieu of the paper original, for example? I've searched the forum to see if this question has been asked before, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As a fairly new new pilot, and out of curiosity. Why not?
The FAA's main reason is that they want to be able to physically take your only legal certificate away from you if they suspend or revoke it. In this day of instant database checks, that might seem unnecessary, since an Inspector could check on your medical/airman certificate status instantly via cell phone 24/7, but it's no different in that regard than DL's and cops, where you must have the actual original DL with you when you're driving.

The FAA's main reason is that they want to be able to physically take your only legal certificate away from you if they suspend or revoke it.

Nice guess. :rolleyes: The FAA hasn't updated to the technology of electronic certificates as there is no real need for it. Medicals are still on paper. It would literally take an act of congress to change the format, just as when certificates went from paper to plastic.

In this day of instant database checks, that might seem unnecessary, since an Inspector could check on your medical/airman certificate status instantly via cell phone 24/7, but it's no different in that regard than DL's and cops, where you must have the actual original DL with you when you're driving.

Don't disagree with that.

Whatever you do don't laminate it. I think they send you to Gitmo for that.

Or is that the Social Security Administration?

:D

As a fairly new new pilot, and out of curiosity. Why not?
Thanks
Same reason that a digital of your drivers license and inspection sticker won't if you are stopped for a traffic violation.

Same reason that you can't buy a cup of coffee with a copy of money on your iPad.

Same reason that a digital of your drivers license and inspection sticker won't if you are stopped for a traffic violation.

Same reason that you can't buy a cup of coffee with a copy of money on your iPad.

You can come close enough the last one. And I can deposit pictures of checks via the internet. So there's really no good reason we have to carry around paper medicals except inertia and congress.

Whatever you do don't laminate it. I think they send you to Gitmo for that.

Or is that the Social Security Administration?
Must be SSA, because the FAA is perfectly happy with a laminated medical certificate (asked and answered by the Chief Counsel) once it's been signed by AME and the holder. Only exception is the back of a Student Pilot certificate, which must be endorsed by your CFI for solo (each make/model) and solo XC (unless you won't need any further solo endorsements).

You can come close enough the last one. And I can deposit pictures of checks via the internet. So there's really no good reason we have to carry around paper medicals except inertia and congress.
I don't think Congress mandated original pilot/medical certificates (that's up to the FAA) but Congress could (if they wanted to) order the FAA to go to (or at least allow) e-certificates. Only problem is Congress would also have to provide funding for a system for that, too, or the FAA could ignore that unfunded mandate (like they ignored the Congressional mandate to put pictures on pilot certificates for lack of funding), and they're a bit short of funds these days for things that aren't going to result in a lot of votes for reelection (this, I think, not being such).

Part of it comes down to the ******* factor when asked.

I've been stopped when I forgot my DL at home for a short trip. If you're an ******* to the cop, well, you'll get written up 100% of the time for that. If you explain "Hey, I left my wallet at home, can you look me up in the DMV database?" my experience is that 99% of the time no further action will be taken, or at most they'll say "Drop by the station tomorrow and show it to me..."

My bet is that if you were ramped, and for whatever reason you didn't have your medical but had an electronic scan of if, and humbly begged the inspector's pardon, he might just be "OK, well, make sure you have it next time."

Part of it comes down to the ******* factor when asked.

I've been stopped when I forgot my DL at home for a short trip. If you're an ******* to the cop, well, you'll get written up 100% of the time for that. If you explain "Hey, I left my wallet at home, can you look me up in the DMV database?" my experience is that 99% of the time no further action will be taken, or at most they'll say "Drop by the station tomorrow and show it to me..."

My bet is that if you were ramped, and for whatever reason you didn't have your medical but had an electronic scan of if, and humbly begged the inspector's pardon, he might just be "OK, well, make sure you have it next time."

Also depends on the state and what they say about carrying a DL. As far as I can tell, in Michigan, you have to *have* one, but you don't have to carry it, unless they changed the law since I last looked.

Just to be an a-hole, my financial guy used to purposefully not carry his DL because it wasn't law that you needed to have it while driving just that you had to have one. He would get pulled over, go through the whole song and dance, even get hauled down to jail, and then file a suit for wrongful arrest - and win. And he did it more than once.

Also depends on the state and what they say about carrying a DL. As far as I can tell, in Michigan, you have to *have* one, but you don't have to carry it, unless they changed the law since I last looked.

Just to be an a-hole, my financial guy used to purposefully not carry his DL because it wasn't law that you needed to have it while driving just that you had to have one. He would get pulled over, go through the whole song and dance, even get hauled down to jail, and then file a suit for wrongful arrest - and win. And he did it more than once.

When I got my DL in Saskatchewan, the rule was that the police were permitted (not required...again the a-hole factor comes into play) to give you 24 hours to present yourself at the local RCMP detachment and present your license if you didn't have it on you.

I've seen that happen. OTOH, I've also seen it result in a more in-depth check to see if that was the only issue, whereas if the initial document check had been in order, that would have been the end of the check. YMMV, but I suspect the least painful ramp check happens when the Inspector gets bored quickly by everything checked in the first five minutes being in order.

I've seen that happen. OTOH, I've also seen it result in a more in-depth check to see if that was the only issue, whereas if the initial document check had been in order, that would have been the end of the check. YMMV, but I suspect the least painful ramp check happens when the Inspector gets bored quickly by everything checked in the first five minutes being in order.

Concur entirely on that. But what I'm trying to say is that if, for whatever reason, you end up without your medical, the odds on you spending an extended vacation in Leavenworth is infinitesimally small, and get much smaller if you just admit "My bad, sorry." rather than "I'm an American! I don't have to put up with your gubmint intrusions!"

Here in Texas we can show a digital copy of our car insurance on a traffic stop.

I have a photo of my medical on my phone. That does not mean that I don't also carry the paper medical, but if I ever forget to I can at least show the photo. Will it help? Who knows, YMMV.
Jim

Last edited:
...(like they ignored the Congressional mandate to put pictures on pilot certificates for lack of funding)...

I'm thinking that one legal justification for that might be the provision in the Constitution that prohibits money from being drawn from the U.S. Treasury without an appropriation made by law.

Last edited:
Concur entirely on that. But what I'm trying to say is that if, for whatever reason, you end up without your medical, the odds on you spending an extended vacation in Leavenworth is infinitesimally small, and get much smaller if you just admit "My bad, sorry." rather than "I'm an American! I don't have to put up with your gubmint intrusions!"
And I concur entirely with that. :)

I'm thinking that one legal justification for that might be the provision in the Constitution that prohibits money from being drawn from the U.S. Treasury without an appropriation made by law.
'Zactly. Gives the FAA an out when Congress passes an unfunded mandate.

You're right on the Drivers License, but I recently learned that a digital copy of my auto insurance is promoted by USAA and acceptable in CO, at least according to my friend in Jeffco Sheriffs Dept.

Back