Carry On Regs

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
OK folks I am gonna be on the human mailing tube later this week to go to the SSA convention in Little Rock. Can any of you frequent flyers out there give me an idea of what the current carry on situation looks like? Can I still have the legal roller bag and laptop bag, or is the underseat accessible luggage now verboten?

OK folks I am gonna be on the human mailing tube later this week to go to the SSA convention in Little Rock. Can any of you frequent flyers out there give me an idea of what the current carry on situation looks like? Can I still have the legal roller bag and laptop bag, or is the underseat accessible luggage now verboten?
Yes you can have that stuff. But be aware if you are a low time frequent flier you may be boarding last. Often because of the charging for checked luggage the overhead bins are filled to capacity. If that happens then you have to gate check your bag, but at least it is free at that point. If your computer bag can still fit under the seat in front of you then that can stay on board. Make sure all valuables are in your computer bag and use a TSA lock on your carry on to reduce theft. Even having your bags on baord is no guarentee that you will not have a theft issue. Just last week someone was stealing from the overheads while the plane was in flight. They did not catch who it was.

It also depends if you are on an RJ or not since some of them don't have much overhead space, especially for a roller bag that is on the larger side, even if it is technically legal.

It also depends if you are on an RJ or not since some of them don't have much overhead space, especially for a roller bag that is on the larger side, even if it is technically legal.

Actually, an RJ is even better in most cases. You gate-check the larger bag (meaning you hand it over when you board the plane, and you pick it up when you leave) and you carry the computer bag on-board.

Scott is correct: 22" roller bag plus personal item. If you're on mainline aircraft, and an infrequent flyer, there may be no overhead space. Depending on the airline, if the bins are full you can check it at the gate for free and avoid the $25 charge to check.

If you're on Southwest, you can work it out to board in the early group and have no trouble at all.

. Even having your bags on baord is no guarentee that you will not have a theft issue. Just last week someone was stealing from the overheads while the plane was in flight. They did not catch who it was.

Actually they did catch him it was a flight from California to PHL. They arrested the guy who happend to by Cybil Sheppards son so it made the 11:00 local news mish mosh.

Actually, an RJ is even better in most cases. You gate-check the larger bag (meaning you hand it over when you board the plane, and you pick it up when you leave) and you carry the computer bag on-board.
But isn't this the same situation as on a bigger airplane when you are boarding last? If there is no room in the overhead compartments they gate-check your bag.

But isn't this the same situation as on a bigger airplane when you are boarding last? If there is no room in the overhead compartments they gate-check your bag.

Slightly different. On an RJ, you pick up the bag planeside (iow, you don't have to wait at baggage claim) - you can watch them load/unload the bag (same as a corporate jet). On mainline, a checked bag will be checked through and you may never see it again.

Just flew on the human mailing tube last week from XNA to LAS. On the way out flew United through DEN and then Continental back through IAH. Didn't have any trouble at all with carry-ons. I had a roller bag, small lap-top and small purse. Hubby had a roller and briefcase. We did have to gate check the rollers for the regional jets, but not on the big planes. We don't have any miles on either of these carriers and didn't have any trouble stowing bags even though both big planes were full. I was actually really surprised at how easy it was to just take carry-on luggage. Heck, they even sell nail clippers in the airport now - with the little 3/4" file - :yikes:.

Actually they did catch him it was a flight from California to PHL. They arrested the guy who happend to by Cybil Sheppards son so it made the 11:00 local news mish mosh.
I forgot about that one. I was thinking of the Air France flight on the 10th
French police have launched an investigation into the theft of a large sum of money from business-class passengers on a Tokyo to Paris Air France flight.

It is thought that a pickpocket managed to steal 4,000 euros (£3,600) from five people while they were asleep on the plane, according to a report in the Le Figaro newspaper.
http://www.enjoyfrance.com/content/view/2416/36/

Slightly different. On an RJ, you pick up the bag planeside (iow, you don't have to wait at baggage claim) - you can watch them load/unload the bag (same as a corporate jet). On mainline, a checked bag will be checked through and you may never see it again.
i like flying on RJ because of the gate check and gate pick up.

I see. I almost always checked my bags the normal way up until about 6 months ago when I started traveling more frequently and figured it took up too much time. I haven't been on an RJ since then and I also have never had them run out of space for my bag in a larger airplane.

Cool I was just worried about the recent Captain Underpants incident. This trip will be on Delta RJs so thanks for the info.

>and an infrequent flyer, there may be no overhead space.

The lack of overhead space is a potential problem for most
passengers that board last (frequent or infrequent). Figure out
how to board just after the medallion (or whatever your airline
calls those poor souls having to fly in the aluminum tube a million
miles per year). Avoid boarding zone 8.

>and an infrequent flyer, there may be no overhead space.

The lack of overhead space is a potential problem for most
passengers that board last (frequent or infrequent). Figure out
how to board just after the medallion (or whatever your airline
calls those poor souls having to fly in the aluminum tube a million
miles per year). Avoid boarding zone 8.
Frequent flyers get early boarding and that was to whom I was referring by my comment. The unwashed masses that follow are the most likely to encounter a lack of overhead space.

Frequent flyers get early boarding and that was to whom I was referring by my comment. The unwashed masses that follow are the most likely to encounter a lack of overhead space.

Sounds like "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIA) ;) ;)

Rules on size and number of carry-on bags vary by airline, and between majors and regionals. The airline web sites all have detailed guidance on these points. Look there first.

I disagreed with your characterization of "often" in that a lack
of overhead space does not frequently occur for most of the
unwashed. I don't fly enough to qualify for the annointed status
of "frequent flyer" but I do fly enough to be able to say that
overhead bins are often not filled... even on BOS-MCO, BOS-IAD,
BOS-DCA, BOS-LAX flights

"more likely" would be more accurate

I disagreed with your characterization of "often" in that a lack
of overhead space does not frequently occur for most of the
unwashed. I don't fly enough to qualify for the annointed status
of "frequent flyer" but I do fly enough to be able to say that
overhead bins are often not filled... even on BOS-MCO, BOS-IAD,
BOS-DCA, BOS-LAX flights

"more likely" would be more accurate
Hmm I have been on 4 flights in two weeks and 3 of those flights had filled overhead bins with people having to gate check luggage. The two flights on was in in December both times had filled overheads. If you seldom are sitting up in the front rows you may not see that many times the FAs stop people at the door and tell them they cannot bring their carry-ons on board. It happens often enough. Those in the last groups to board are the most affected.

In other words it helps being the peon in the back of the plane where all the untouchables sit :D

Hmm I have been on 4 flights in two weeks and 3 of those flights had filled overhead bins with people having to gate check luggage. The two flights on was in in December both times had filled overheads. If you seldom are sitting up in the front rows you may not see that many times the FAs stop people at the door and tell them they cannot bring their carry-ons on board. It happens often enough. Those in the last groups to board are the most affected.

Ok . you get me thinking...

I think I understand how the RJ carry on procedure works... You walk out on the ramp, hand the bag to the gate person, he/she puts it on the rack thats parked right next to the stairs that leads into the plane.They roll that rack back and load those into the storage area of the plane. Off you go... When you arrive the opposite happens and you walk into the terminal with your carry on.... Seems simple.

With a full sized plane I assume you surrender the bag like on an RJ. Do they give it back as you deplane ? on are you stuck waiting for it at the luggage carosel? And ya carosel looks speeled wrong but its early.:rofl:

With a full sized plane I assume you surrender the bag like on an RJ. Do they give it back as you deplane ? on are you stuck waiting for it at the luggage carosel? And ya carosel looks speeled wrong but its early.:rofl:
The answer is sometimes it is like an RJ but most times you have to go to the luggage pick up carousel.

Some items are dropped and picked up at the gate, like stollars, personal wheel chairs,a nd some muscial instruments. But most of the time if you are in an 'no room in the overhead' situation your bag is checked through to your destination and will be placed with the bags that go to the luggage carousel.

The answer is sometimes it is like an RJ but most times you have to go to the luggage pick up carousel.

Some items are dropped and picked up at the gate, like stollars, personal wheel chairs,a nd some muscial instruments. But most of the time if you are in an 'no room in the overhead' situation your bag is checked through to your destination and will be placed with the bags that go to the luggage carousel.

Thanks for the explaination.....

Now that I see the word carousel,,, for some reason I have a craving for cotton candy .:yesnod::eek:

If this is the case, do you wind up getting slapped with the charges for bags?

No. Which is part of the issue. People don't want to pay those charges, so they carry on great loads, if they have to check at the gate they get to do it for free. There is no real incentive to check at the counter. This then slows down the lines through security.

I carry on, A LOT. I carry a back pack and a small, 17" wheelie bag. I can carry business clothes for the week in that bag and still have room left over. The problem is people bringing 22" and bigger bags through to the gates. I have seen UAL start to actually use their carry on sizing racks at the gate to try and speed up the boarding process. Kudos to them for that. But I think if you want people to check baggage then make it appear cheap and easy. IOW don't take on the charge, keep it in the ticket price, and charge for carry-ons!

I would hate having to pay for a carry-on but I would consider that a value add if I knew for sure I would have space for it above and not at my feet.

Last edited:
There is no real incentive to check at the counter.
Sure there is. That way you don't have to drag your bag through security and the terminal. That was always my incentive until recently when I decided that even though it was more trouble to carry on it saved time waiting to check in and at the carousel.

Sure there is. That way you don't have to drag your bag through security and the terminal. That was always my incentive until recently when I decided that even though it was more trouble to carry on it saved time waiting to check in and at the carousel.
i am pretty mobile and organized when it comes to packing. I do not experience a down side with dragging my bag around. I think generally most frequent flyers are more organized for the airports than infrequent flyers.

It depends on the flight - on a recent flight from LAX-IAD the gate agents were announcing that anyone in Boarding Group 3 or later would have to check their bags - there would be no space in the overheads. She was right.

*()$& A319s. On a transcon.

(This was not my usual carrier, so no upgrade for me and only there were only half the number of seats up front that my usual carrier has).

Not usually, though I have heard reports of one carrier's gate agents trying to do that.... I imagine that's next, and that it will happen before pay toilets are installed. ;)

It depends on the flight - on a recent flight from LAX-IAD the gate agents were announcing that anyone in Boarding Group 3 or later would have to check their bags - there would be no space in the overheads. She was right.

I took a LAX to BOS red-eye in Nov and the gate agent in LAX was really really ****y (the b word would be more accurate) about not having overhead space. Maybe it's something about LA...

I took a LAX to BOS red-eye in Nov and the gate agent in LAX was really really ****y (the b word would be more accurate) about not having overhead space. Maybe it's something about LA...

Yeah, LA women are pretty bitchy.:D

On the other hand, when you sit in back you get to see that
the flight attendents close the overhead bins after they get filled
and you can see when this happens. On my flights (22 flights in
the last 12 months), they don't get closed until after everyone is sitted.

Of course, it would help if people actually put one item under the seat
in front of them and didn't put both carry-ons and their coat in the
overhead. (get off my lawn!)

On the other hand, when you sit in back you get to see that
the flight attendents close the overhead bins after they get filled
and you can see when this happens. On my flights (22 flights in
the last 12 months), they don't get closed until after everyone is sitted.

Of course, it would help if people actually put one item under the seat
in front of them and didn't put both carry-ons and their coat in the
overhead. (get off my lawn!)
How do you manage to do 22 flights in 12 months and not have any status on the airlines?

How do you manage to do 22 flights in 12 months and not have any status on the airlines?

That would be easy.

1) 22 short flights w/o status earns actual miles - let's say 250 miles each direction. That's less than 10,000 EQM, so no status. Even at high fares, that's 15,000 EQP: no status. 22 segments: no status.

2) Split longer flights between multiple airlines. Easy no status.

3) Fly a discounter like B6 or WN: for WN, 22 segments is not enough for A list. B6, it really doesn't matter.

Then there are those of us with corporate preferred carriers.

I'm already at 10,000 qualifying miles on one airline, 5,000 on another, and 31,000 on another. (OK, some of those 31,000 rolled over from last year, but still). And another 15,000 already booked. And it's not the end of January yet.

Sigh.

That would be easy.

1) 22 short flights w/o status earns actual miles - let's say 250 miles each direction. That's less than 10,000 EQM, so no status. Even at high fares, that's 15,000 EQP: no status. 22 segments: no status.

2) Split longer flights between multiple airlines. Easy no status.

3) Fly a discounter like B6 or WN: for WN, 22 segments is not enough for A list. B6, it really doesn't matter.

Then there are those of us with corporate preferred carriers.

I'm already at 10,000 qualifying miles on one airline, 5,000 on another, and 31,000 on another. (OK, some of those 31,000 rolled over from last year, but still). And another 15,000 already booked. And it's not the end of January yet.

Sigh.
I got 10k for January's travel. SIGH!

I'm luck in that the only place I ever go is Miami and I've got plenty of
clothes there. So I never have any baggage .. just a small backpack with
my laptop and reading materials in it.

My fiancee on the other hand packs all sorts of stuff in her carry on and
invariably ends up having to check it and hassle with baggage claim. I've been telling her to mail it. That's what I do when I have stuff to get back and forth. She tried it and it was great .. no junk to lug around.

Just go to Office Max and Fed Ex it. 3 days. Costs about $15 or so for
the stuff you'd put in a roll on.

RT

I'm one of those strange people that think the company that pays for
the flights should get the miles.

And think about it wrt frequent flying - by the time I fly enough to earn
stuff I'm waaaay too tired of flying in the back of the aluminum tubes.

Besides, the flights were spread across Southwest, Jetblue, Delta, and American.

I'm one of those strange people that think the company that pays for
the flights should get the miles.

Well, I'll disagree with you on that. It's my bod that is wedged into that seat, risking blood clots in the legs and dealing with all the other wonderful attractions associated with riding pressurized aluminum mailing tubes, not the "company". Yes, my employer paid the fare, but I pay the rest of the cost.

Well, I'll disagree with you on that. It's my bod that is wedged into that seat, risking blood clots in the legs and dealing with all the other wonderful attractions associated with riding pressurized aluminum mailing tubes, not the "company". Yes, my employer paid the fare, but I pay the rest of the cost.
I agree with you Gherry, as does the airlines and the IRS.

On the airlines I ride most frequently, status is more important than award seats. Not that I don't take advantage of the award seats, but for the tired travel warrior the minor perks and upgrades make a big difference.

And given that most airlines have a variety of miles needed for awards (gouge, super gouge, and stratospheric), it's pretty tough to put a value on the miles.

Back