455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
IFD-540
KX155
KMA24

When we transmit, it’s carrier only, no voice. Both radios, both PTTs. Intercom works fine. No blown breakers.

My favorite avionics guy is on vacation.

Any ideas?

I’m not an avionics expert, but I’ll hazard a guess. Does the hand mic work? If so, I’d bet the problem is between the intercom and the hand mic jack, as I think for the KMA24 the signal flows from the intercom through the hand mic jack to the KMA24. If it doesn’t work, I’d suspect the wire from the hand mic to the KMA24 might be loose, or something in the KMA24 gave up the ghost.

If it's affecting both radios then it almost has to be the audio panel.

I was guessing the it was the headset. One of my quiet halo headsets can talk on the intercom but the conductor in the tip of the microphone cable that allows it to connect when the push to talk is enabled does not work. I bought a replacement microphone tip.

Is it a straight KMA24 or a 24H? If an H put the mic selector on EMG, select COM1 audio and check.
Does the XMIT indicator light up when transmitting?
Do you get receive audio from both COMs?

Straight up 24.
I believe the TX lights up w/PTT, we were able to activate RWY lights and tower kept telling us “carrier, no voice”.
Yep, audio RX both coms.

We had 2 headsets both plugged in. Maybe one is fubar. Will disconnect both and try a different one, on both sides.

and try with & without hand mic

Bell is right. If you pull the power on the intercom, two relays directly connect the pilot and copilot microphones direct to the output (which should go to the audio panel in). A third relay connects the audio input (from the audio panel) directly to the pilot headphone jack.

Back