Carolinas Aviation Museum

SkyDog58

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Canis Non Grata
I visited the Carolinas Aviation Museum at CLT today. Even though I have lived here for a little over two years, I had yet to check it out mainly because most aviation folks I know said it really wasn’t all that worthwhile. They were right.

I was wanting to fly today but the crappy weather kept me on the ground but I felt compelled to do something aviation related and the museum was just about all that came to mind besides reading about the stoichiometric ratio and how it affects urine on airport ramps and whether mass or volume makes it stink more and whether a UFO or monkey was involved. I think that was the discussion. Maybe I conflated a bit. Not sure.

Anyway, I make the relatively short drive to the museum, pony up my $12, and make my way around the far too few aircraft and the far too many uncontrolled & loud kids. Well… Big disappointment. A very large portion of the museum is dedicated to the A320 that Sully splashed down into the Hudson. And I mean a very, very large portion, including the aircraft along with a large portion of its parts that came off during the crash. Then there were several monitors displaying videos about the accident and several other displays about it. I would venture to guess that it took up 1/3 of the floor space in the hangar. Way too much.

Meanwhile outside they have this lovely DC-7 parked. Pictured below. I think the wrecked POS airbus needs to be hauled off to the salvage yard and the DC-7 brought inside. Or find some other more historic or interesting aircraft to fill the space.

It seems less of an aviation museum and more a shrine to that one short flight or Sully. Not really what I expect or want to see in an aviation museum.

Anyway, if you are ever in these parts and are tempted to drop some money doing something. Pick something else. Unless you are totally into beat-up airbuses.

thumbnail.jpg

Too bad you guys never got a chance to visit the Florence Air and Missile Museum. Some unique birds there, but it was closed a couple decades ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Air_&_Missile_Museum

The "curator" was T.C. Griffin. Quite a character. Miss that guy.

I been thar! We used to fly scheduled service into FLO from ATL. One time we had an hour or two to kill before we headed back to ATL. Walked over and they let us in, for free. They did have an awfully lot of planes for sure.

I knew TC from my days as a newspaper reporter there. He collected some interesting space materials as well. He had several "space suits" on display, a few old NASA control consoles, a Mercury capsule and some genuine moon rocks. Wish I'd taken photos!

I knew TC from my days as a newspaper reporter there. He collected some interesting space materials as well. He had several "space suits" on display, a few old NASA control consoles, a Mercury capsule and some genuine moon rocks. Wish I'd taken photos!

Yes I remember the capsule, and some other space stuff.

Have relatives in the area,flew into CLT,but missed the museum. Glad I did,thanks for the heads up.

Back