For Sale Carlson Saprrow Ultralight

Scott Lennard

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Scott in Montana
Greetings from Libby Montana! I love my Carlson Sparrow but am putting it up for sale so I can get a 2 place light sport. My wife is interested in flying with me now that she sees how much fun I'm having. anyway here's a video of the Sparrow. I also have a partially built Sparrow kit for sale. If you have any questions I can send additional photos and info. See video. Happy Flying!

Greetings from Libby Montana! I love my Carlson Sparrow but am putting it up for sale so I can get a 2 place light sport. My wife is interested in flying with me now that she sees how much fun I'm having. anyway here's a video of the Sparrow. I also have a partially built Sparrow kit for sale. If you have any questions I can send additional photos and info. See video. Happy Flying!

Nice airplane! However I don't see an N number and it appears to be well over the limit to be an ultralight ... o_O

Looks like a cool little plane! I watched the video, very well done. Curious as to why the throttle is mounted on the right side of the cockpit?? Is this something you chose to do or is it by design...Good Luck with the sale!

Nice airplane! However I don't see an N number and it appears to be well over the limit to be an ultralight ... o_O

Part 103 is actually pretty generous:

§ 103.1 Applicability.
This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles in the United States. For the purposes of this part, an ultralight vehicle is a vehicle that:

(a) Is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant;

(b) Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;

(c) Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and

(d) If unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds; or

(e) If powered:

(1) Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;

(2) Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons;

(3) Is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and

(4) Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed.

Part 103 is actually pretty generous:

(1) Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;

First I will say that it is an absolutely gorgeous airplane. I've seen the video before and the plane appears to be a great performer. But I'm quite well aware of the ultralight restrictions and have found many aircraft that claim to be under the 254 lbs. limit and clearly are not. I've owned a CGS Hawk & a Challenger and have flown a Legal Eagle, Rans S-4, FightStar, & X-Air to name a few. The only ultralight that I have ever seen that could make true ultralight weight with a 447 Rotax is the Kolb Firefly. None of the above mentioned planes can do it.

Most of the true ultralights are making weight with a one lung 28 HP (or so) two stroke engine. Most Legal Eagles aren't legal. But the thinking among many is that the FAA don't care if it looks like a duck and quacks like one. When you crash one with a five gallon fuel tank, & a single seat ... many times they don't even care to know about it and let the local sheriff handle it as it's not really an airplane but rather a "recreational vehicle."

So if you have no certificate to lose then flying a something that is illegal won't cause you to lose what you don't have if there's an accident or a ramp check.

I was simply making an observation that I believe is valid.

Back