Cargo Loading for Mooney

FLABrewer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FLABrewer
I'm considering the purchase of a Mooney. F or J model (I like the stretch). When the wife and I travel, we take folding bikes. I've never loaded through the high door (been flying an Archer). My question is, is it a pain? The bikes are about 30 lbs. each. With two of them and a couple of pieces of luggage, would going in through the front into the back seat be easier?

go to mooneyspace and do a search. I know that topic was discussed a few times. I remember people saying to use towels to keep grease off the back seats.

My Mooney's an '84 J model, so can't comment on how an F is set up. But if it's just the two of you, the backs of the rear seats easily come out giving a totally flat surface from the rear of the luggage area to the back of the front seats. Easy enough to put a large towel or a sheet down if you're worried about dirt or grease. I've had a LOT of stuff in that area.

Whatever you do, do NOT load it like this! Yes, that's 5 people in a Mooney, with one of them in the baggage compartment.

Attachments

• Screenshot952015-04-18-22-59-20.png
    Screenshot952015-04-18-22-59-20.png
    942 KB · Views: 145
Gw 2740, my empty weight 1850, 64 gallons usable total. This for a 1981 J.

Assuming the bikes would fit the door, I think it'd be fairly easy to load / unload. Depends on how the bikes fold up, if at all.

If you want me to measure something let me know. I'm flying today and tomorrow.

Whatever you do, do NOT load it like this! Yes, that's 5 people in a Mooney, with one of them in the baggage compartment.

Ok I give...what is the backstory of this? Did they actually fly like that? I'm no Mooney expert but that seems a little overloaded

A little?

2740 (gross weight) - 1850 (empty weight) = 890 lbs. Before fuel.

5 er, um, "healthy" adults. 890 / 5 = 178lbs, each. They look heavier than that. Fuel goes where?

To the OP, if you have Dahon type folding bikes, they will fit. You will need to bring them through the main door, not the baggage door. Some of the F models like mine (1975), you can recline the rear seats to give you more room in the back seat area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are folding bikes (Citizen) and about the size of a Dahon. I've got no issue going in through the main door if they fit that way. Hope the one I select has the removable seats. Sounds like maybe the F's recline and the J's come out. I'll research that more and check out mooneyspace. Thanks for all of the help.

Gw 2740, my empty weight 1850, 64 gallons usable total. This for a 1981 J.

Assuming the bikes would fit the door, I think it'd be fairly easy to load / unload. Depends on how the bikes fold up, if at all.

1850? My 1978 J weighs in at 1787, you must have installed some heavy stuff.

They are folding bikes (Citizen) and about the size of a Dahon. I've got no issue going in through the main door if they fit that way. Hope the one I select has the removable seats. Sounds like maybe the F's recline and the J's come out. I'll research that more and check out mooneyspace. Thanks for all of the help.

Most Mooneys have been customized, you have to check, my 78 has fold down rear seats, not standard on a 78.

1850? My 1978 J weighs in at 1787, you must have installed some heavy stuff.

Interesting. I know -I- didn't... it's just what's in the paperwork. It's an updated figure. I wonder if any of it is the IO390 upgrade. Dunno.

A little?

2740 (gross weight) - 1850 (empty weight) = 890 lbs. Before fuel.

5 er, um, "healthy" adults. 890 / 5 = 178lbs, each. They look heavier than that. Fuel goes where?

This accident flight was in a shirt body C model, 2575 gross with 52 gal tanks. My empty weight is 1607, giving 969 useful and 312 in fuel. They had to have been 900 or more in people . . . Also, the baggage area is placarded for 120 lbs max weight . . .

Can't wait to read the Final Report. They usually include weight and balance info. At least nobody died, mostly due to luck.

Only the 1982+ J models came with the removable seats. Some earlier ones might be retrofitted/modified. The fixed bench seat can be made to fold down, but it prevents the front seats from sliding fully aft, and it won't be as flat as the ones with removable seats.

I've carried a pair of folding bikes easily in mine. They load through the main door.

Back