Career Pilots - Need a way around the 1500hr rule?

KeyWestPhotog

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WingMan
Hot off the press! Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University has a loop hole!

--- Click here to be shown the Loophole ---

Embry-Riddle Students Earn Exceptions to New FAA 1,500-Flight-Hour Rule
Graduates Must Fly 1,000 Hours, Can Acquire Restricted ATP Certificate Earlier With University’s Full-Motion Simulation Training

A new rule recently announced by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) increases qualification requirements for first officers who fly for U.S. passenger and cargo airlines, but includes allowances for reduced hours for pilots holding Bachelor’s degrees from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Daytona Beach, Fla., and Prescott, Ariz., campuses.

Students at Embry-Riddle also have another advantage – access to full-motion simulation training like no other university in the United States.

The rule requires first officers – also known as co-pilots – to hold an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate, requiring 1,500 hours total time as a pilot. Previously, first officers were required to have only a commercial pilot certificate, which requires 250 hours of flight time. MORE.......

I don't see a loophole. I see a planned and intended credit for pilots acquiring training from certain aeronautical university training programs. There are other "restricted" ATP exemptions.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the first step back from a doofus law that should never have been introduced, let alone passed.

I don't see a loophole. I see a planned and intended credit for pilots acquiring training from certain aeronautical university training programs. There are other "restricted" ATP exemptions.

That's what I was trying to say. At the time they jammed it through I assumed it would take a couple of years for the industry to start chipping away at the experience rules by citing economic hardship. Stay tuned.

It was a step back
It's no step back. It was in the original law over a year ago.

Back