cardinal rg fuel tank leak

Phil Stahla

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fastglasair1
I have a 1974 Cardinal RG I just purchased, the right fuel tank is leaking, stains on the wind and by fuel drain. Any ideal how many hours it takes to reseal the tank.
Thanks
Phil Stahla Gillette, wy.

I have a 1974 Cardinal RG I just purchased, the right fuel tank is leaking, stains on the wind and by fuel drain. Any ideal how many hours it takes to reseal the tank.
Thanks
Phil Stahla Gillette, wy.

First, are you sure it is a leaking fuel bay? If the leak is near the wing root the leak may be a piece of rubber hose used to make line connections and the leak at the sump may just be a bad sump drain O ring.

Last edited:
First, are you sure it is a leaking fuel bay? If the leak is near the wing root the leak may be a rubber hose connection and the leak at the sump may just be a bad sump drain.

Yup, could be as simple as those spots, which are cheap to fix and not all that uncommon.

Check the easy things first but when the time comes the 177 series needs some engineering approvals to add additional fuel tank access panels to make fuel tank sealant repairs easier, access is so freaking poor that nobody wants to do them.

My 68 doesn't leak… yet

Back