Carburetor Intake Cessna 182

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
So in 1959, Cessna changed the 182 cowling. It makes it much easier to change the air filter, but much more difficult to pull the cowling. I recently had a gascolator leak, and when I pulled the cowling to fix it, I noticed the flexible piece between the intake and the carburetor had a huge hole in it.

I'm struggling to find the right P/N, and the closest I get to is this, "0752026-6 Cessna Carburetor Adapter Intake Assy w/ Boot". I nice used one on Ebay is $952!

My questions are, does anyone know the correct PN? Is there a way I can buy the material and have my A&P make a new one? If so, where do I find the material?

Mine looks like this one, but dirty and with a big hole in the top!
0752026-6 Cessna 182 P/Q Carburetor Adapter Intake Assembly W/ Boot (Good)(PPP) - Picture 1 of 7

0752026-6 Cessna 182 P/Q Carburetor Adapter Intake Assembly W/ Boot (Good)(PPP) - Picture 4 of 7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2552730530...5022512476&itmmeta=01HRZEEDBD3WKCXJ6VWYGRQZG0

Got to buy it. I don't know where you'd find that bellows, and Cessna likely has it made under contract, with an agreement that they are the only buyer.

I think the boot is available separately. Don't have the parts catalog handy right now.

Got to buy it. I don't know where you'd find that bellows, and Cessna likely has it made under contract, with an agreement that they are the only buyer.

I think the boot is available separately. Don't have the parts catalog handy right now.
I don't mind buying it, but I don't want to buy a used one for $1K!

You think the boot is bad, check out the trim piece below. For a new one Cessna want more than $3,000.

I had a guy weld and repaint it for $70.

2023-11-07 14.05.59.jpg

I have encountered those boots patched with red RTV. Really bad idea. If a bit of RTV breaks off and gets sucked into the intake, bad things happen. I know of a floatplane that had to abort the takeoff when a flake of paint from inside the intake duct broke off and got into the carb's secondary venturi, killing the vacuum that draws fuel from the main nozzle. The paint did not belong in there. The surface had not been prepped for it, but the painter did not mask it off and then shot paint into it, paint that didn't stick well at all.

Last edited:
That is a CRITICAL item.

IIRC there is an old AD that required checking the gasket for security.

Unfortunately ; it is a “ one- time inspection “ to assure the adhesive

is doing it’s task. Worth checking every time the cowl is off.

Is it the same part number for 1966? Mine seemed to be longer tia

All aircraft that utilize a flex duct to the Carb require careful inspection.

That includes some Cherokees, 172’s , Citabrias and Mooneys.

There are at least 2 failure modes that come to mind.

1. Collapsing of the Intake Duct.

2. Ingesting parts of the duct or gasket into the Fuel Metering Device.

There are many aircraft that do not have the proper duct installed.

#1 in my book for this category is the Cherokee 140. Often the proper Piper Duct has

been replaced by SCAT. It is NOT the same. The few bucks saved can put you in a field.

IMHO Repair via RTV is not really a “ repair “ but is masking a defect.

Non Intake Flex Ducting such as SCAT can be expensive if you buy minimum length and shipping etc.

Yet the installation is often very sloppy.

The clamp should capture the wire and outside string as well.

Generally I will run a bead of RTV lengthwise to reduce the possibility of the string shifting

and allowing internal wires to move and have the duct collapse.

IMHO Repair via RTV is not really a “ repair “ but is masking a defect.
I've never noticed any holes in mine before, but at this point, it would be 50% RTV if I tried to plug this hole!! I'll cheap out on a lot of things, not on my airplane.

Back