Carb. Ice Incident - I Said the "E" Word

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
A few days ago I was doing a ferry of a 1961 172B with a Continental O-300. Unfamiliar airframe and power-plant; I guess I've been a bit jaded flying mid-2000s throughout my career, with the exception of a couple here and there...

So I depart AMA towards ABQ, climbing up to 10,500. During the climb, there was a temperature inversion, and I remember it still being quite warm, around 65-70, through about 8.5-9. I level-off and set cruise power doing a rough lean, and check all engine gauges. Carb. temp. is good. During that scan, departure hands me off to ZAB. After check-in, I fine-tune the mixture. Engine starts to cough; OK, a bit too lean, no big deal, just richen some. No joy. Richen more, and she stops. :eek:

Tell ZAB I lost engine power, stop the prop and trim best glide, then turn back towards AMA. I switch to the individual mags and try a restart. No joy. Glance at the carb. temp. and ****! it's at the bottom and OAT is 42. I yank the carb. heat out, but without airflow, that doesn't do much. ZAB switches me back to approach and he asks which runway I want with the winds (<10 so strait-in to whichever runway is my plan) to have the trucks rolled and ready.

Through about 7.5-8 I remember the higher OAT and sure enough, the carb. temp. is a bit higher. Bump the starter to try to get some of the warmer air pulled through, and sure enough she coughs once or twice and roars back to life. :rockon:

I begin a climb and tell approach that I regained power and am climbing but still heading towards AMA. Level-off at 10.5 again, and set up for cruise with some carb. heat, and it's just fine. Just to confirm that the problem was indeed carb. ice, I turn off the heat and closely watch the carb. temp; Sure enough it starts decreasing and at the first cough, add the heat. Now no doubt in my mind that it was preventable carb. ice, so I tell approach that I am no longer an emergency and turning back towards ABQ. At every hand-off (3 more ZAB controllers, approach, and tower) I get asked if everything was OK and if I needed any assistance... :blush:

Lessons learned:

1- Macho-ism. This was a last-minute ferry so I didn't have time to really do some research on the unfamiliar engine, or talk to an instructor to refresh my carb. knowledge. But oh well, I'm a professional flying turbine-powered aircraft, I can handle a dainty little 172...

2- In training with the Lycoming, about all that was taught was 'power below the green arc, carb. heat full'. Well, in climb and cruise, the power was above the green arc, so I didn't touch the carb. heat. In doing some research now, apparently the Continentals are also a bit more susceptible due to the placement of the carburetor. More reading/research is on my to-do list.

3- Impulsivity. I was just touching the mixture, therefore that had to be the problem and I focused on that until after it completely quit. Wasn't until a bit after that I thought of the carb. heat, and not until later still that I checked the fuel selector and confirmed the primer was locked. All of which are listed on the emergency placard directly above the throttle.

Final question: I'm assuming there is nothing required on my part since the emergency was cancelled and I wasn't given a number to call? I do figure an ASRS report would still be beneficial though...

Last edited:
Yeah, my wife was flying the Navion and had been at a nearby airport (2W5) and we were on our way back to VKX. She flew it all at a reduced power setting as to not get too far above the gear speed as these airports are close together. Just about the time we got to the pattern the engine started to gag on us. She just headed straight for the numbers and landed. Rolling out I told her to give a little throttle while I hit the carb heat...sure enough...carb ice.

It was strange because we were always told that the pressure carb on the Gopher engine was relatively immune to carb ice and it was a fairly nice day (shirtsleeve weather). We just hit the right temperature/RH sweet spot coupled with low power settings and a short flight...

It happens. And if you aren't ready for it, you may not recognize it.

With the turbocharged engine, carb ice is not an issue - compressing the air raises the temperature enough - but induction icing can be a problem in the right conditions even when the airframe won't ice. BTDT, used the alt-air.

Carb ice can happen on nice warm summer days. Check the temp/dewpoint spread when you're checking the weather; that's where the warnings are. At altitude, OAT is lower and if the dewpoint is the same as on the ground, you could get ice. Carb ice is responsible for many engine failures after which the investigators can find nothing wrong with the engine. A carburetor is an effective little refrigerator that can drop the temperature of the incoming air as much as 70°F.

And yes, Continentals will ice up much quicker than Lycomings. The Lyc's carb is bolted to the hot oil sump; the Cont's carb is on a separate intake "spider" that isolates it from the hot crankcase.

Dan

Live and learn. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

CarbIceV1.JPG

Also, here is a nifty reference chart to keep at your disposal.

Let's review;

Fatalities - 0
Machinery damage - none
FAA enforcement/cert action - negative
Mission completed - yes
Lesson learned - very much so

Go forth, and sin no more. I can't image how many mistakes I would make sitting in the big ole elec jet. I'd prolly bend it just getting to the runway.

Lessons learned:

1- Macho-ism. This was a last-minute ferry so I didn't have time to really do some research on the unfamiliar engine, or talk to an instructor to refresh my carb. knowledge. But oh well, I'm a professional flying turbine-powered aircraft, I can handle a dainty little 172.....

:lol::lol::lol:

I know what you mean......been there, thought the same thought...but without as much excitement.

And no, a ASRS isn't necessary unless you just want peace of mind.

I miss the carb temp guages in the 70s era 172s. But I've been flying mostly fuel injected in the desert. Except for the O-540 on the Pawnee. Rarely get carb ice with that. But it's always full throttle climb and partial power descents.

There is also a placard in that plane by the fuel valve that warns to go to a single tank above 5000'. A friend was unaware and had to declare when the engine stopped due to vapor lock. Something to do with how the tanks are plumbed.

There is also a placard in that plane by the fuel valve that warns to go to a single tank above 5000'. A friend was unaware and had to declare when the engine stopped due to vapor lock. Something to do with how the tanks are plumbed.
I hadn't considered that but I dis switch to the left tank once leveled off, then switched left/right every 30 minutes. In this situation, I already had the selector in the "left" position, and switched to "right" after following the placarded checklist above the throttle.

But thanks for the insight. I hadn't heard of that before; I usually just go to single-tank operation just to ensure one doesn't get too unbalanced.

Last edited:

No one has ever, to the best of my knowledge, explained why that placard is there on a gravity-feed fuel system that is pretty much immune to vapor lock.

Does anyone have any official explanation?

Dan

Having trouble seeing what the op did wrong. Engine took a dump, he turned to his nearest while he still had the altitude. Hindsight is always 20-20. Didn't have to be carb ice, it was an unfamiliar airframe.

Everything worked out for the good,and you learned a valuable lesson. Even the lowly 172 can bite you if you take it for granted.

I miss the carb temp guages in the 70s era 172s. But I've been flying mostly fuel injected in the desert. Except for the O-540 on the Pawnee. Rarely get carb ice with that. But it's always full throttle climb and partial power descents.

There's been a few times I've used partial carb heat to get my Carb Temp needle out of the orange zone flying in IMC. Love it!

But my descents are always made at cruise power until it's time to slow for pattern entry. It's my payback for the slow, WOT climb. Never experienced carb ice . . .

Having experienced carb ice on more than a few occasions in my 182, I'm hairtriggered to pull carb ice if the engine seems sluggish or lacking. That said, it's not a familiar airplane to you, so you treat it like an emergency until you're satified that you solved the problem.

The only issue with declaring an emergency, or requesting actions that would indicate an emergency, is ATC starts asking lots of questions. That's OK, just reply "standby" and prioritize their question accordingly.

So I depart AMA towards ABQ, climbing up to 10,500. During the climb, there was a temperature inversion, and I remember it still being quite warm, around 65-70, through about 8.5-9. I level-off and set cruise power doing a rough lean, and check all engine gauges. Carb. temp. is good. During that scan, departure hands me off to ZAB. After check-in, I fine-tune the mixture. Engine starts to cough; OK, a bit too lean, no big deal, just richen some. No joy. Richen more, and she stops. :eek:

Glad everything turned out alright. I lost a mag and had a sick engine nearly stop with mixture adjustment (similar type circumstance). I was in the pattern so not as exciting as your trip;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back