Car vs Airplane debate.

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
A previous poster mentioned to me that cars and airplanes are different which I agree but people are the same whether they drive a car of fly an airplane. I was at Whitted Airport today and I saw a few pilots make mistakes like taking off right behind someone who just took off. Buzzing past the control tower. These are mistakes that can and SHOULD be avoided but people don't do it....Why? When we all know that airplanes can be VERY unforgiving. The same applies to driving, People tailgate even though there isn't anybody else on the road, go way over the speed limit cut off people...etc

IMO part of it has a lot to do with arrogance, when was the last time you heard someone say, (I can't drive or I don't drive well at all)(Although I have over 10k flight hours I'm really not that good at flying).

What do you folks think?

It is a towered field, so unless you heard the controller on the radio say those pilots had made a mistake, none of the actions you saw were mistakes.

I think Hazardous attitudes (Anti-Authority, Impulsitivity, Macho, etc) have little to do with what type of vehicle a person is operating.

What do you folks think?

I think you should NOT go to Sun-N-Fun or Oshkosh as y ou will be apoplectic :D

Becoming a pilot has made me a far worse driver.

We can, and should, gawk around when flying. Now I seem to do it far more when driving than I used to.

No 12' wide lane when flying. Get 1/2 mile off course when flying, no big deal. Get 5' off course when driving, big deal!

I think someone forgot they were logged into their trolling account because a FloridaStudentPilot with over 10k flight hours just seems a bit out of whack. :)

(I know, you were just providing an example of an attitude, but that's how I read it!)

Last edited:
I think Hazardous attitudes (Anti-Authority, Impulsitivity, Macho, etc) have little to do with what type of vehicle a person is operating.
"Anti-authority hazardous attitude" makes a big difference which vehicle you are operating. Apparently the FAA made that one up. Google the phrase and see if you can find it in any context other than aviation.

"Anti-authority hazardous attitude" makes a big difference which vehicle you are operating. Apparently the FAA made that one up. Google the phrase and see if you can find it in any context other than aviation.

Thanks for pointing that out . I bristle when I hear the anti -authority card played, wait that could be a sign of anti-authority and Medically DQ nevermind.:D

Zombie(smart) phones are the problem. Or maybe if everyone just bowed to authority flying would all work out perfect. Everything is awesome.

It is a towered field, so unless you heard the controller on the radio say those pilots had made a mistake, none of the actions you saw were mistakes.

Why would a tower tell a pilot to fly 50 feet off of the ground with another airplane right behind him across the airport? IMO I think they were trying to relive Topgun the movie.

What do you folks think?

I think you should NOT go to Sun-N-Fun or Oshkosh as y ou will be apoplectic :D

I did go for one day, (Sunday) but IMO an airshow is the place to do that!

I think someone forgot they were logged into their trolling account because a FloridaStudentPilot with over 10k flight hours just seems a bit out of whack. :)

(I know, you were just providing an example of an attitude, but that's how I read it!)

I wish I had 10k hours! I would've filled the USA map like some of you guys on here. (You guys are so lucky).

Thanks for pointing that out . I bristle when I hear the anti -authority card played, wait that could be a sign of anti-authority and Medically DQ never mind.:D

I think it's more like: "I have so much experience flying that I can cut corners, I want to get in the air already because I have XYZ place to go and I need to be there now! Why is the person in front of me taking so long for the run up"

I think when you are a student it's different, you are trying to cover everything taught and you are a bit more patient.

A couple of weeks ago, someone with a PPL less than a year old accosted me after I returned to the FBO. I had been flying in the pattern practicing crosswind landings and takeoffs in a plane I had not flown in a number of months. This was at a towered airport. The gentleman was seething with rage.
Says he: "What the fxxx do you think you were doing out there!!"
Says me: "Pardon me?"
Says he: "You heard me! What the fxxx do you think you were doing out there!!!"
Says me: "I thought it was pretty obvious. Practicing crosswind takeoffs and landings."
Says he: "There was no WIND!!! !!!HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID!! It's pilots like you that give us all a bad name!. I'm going to report you to the FAA!!!!!" (all other expletives deleted for the sake of brevity.)
Says me: "Let me dial that number for you."

He brings the same level of rage to parking spots, traffic rules, typos and a number of other instances I've noticed in the past year or so.

The point is, everyone brings their attitude and personality to whatever they do, and a jerk is a jerk in or out of the cockpit. (IMHO But it seems to get amplified when they get a license to fly.) All the FAA buzzword driven programs in the world will never fix the problem. People who recognize they have a problem will fix it. people who deny they have a problem just keep on keeping on.

Last edited:
I would consider 1 out of 10 excellent drivers. 2 out of 10 are downright dangerous. I'm very uncomfortable riding next to them as a passenger.

Nothing suggests it's much different in aviation.

Last edited:
The guy who speeds up and passes you, cuts you off then dives for the off ramp. He may fly too and he's a real jerk. The girl in the mini van, with two young children, riding your bumper, talking on her cell phone or....possibly texting, she's a real danger. The guy in the pickup riding your bumper at 70 on the expressway. The list is endless and these nuts may also fly.

Flying affects my driving in that it has made the latter so mundane and lackluster of an activity by comparison, that I pursue it with great pastiness. It drives these impatient a-hole drivers crazy, and the best thing is, these inside-the-car-tough guys/gals won't do much past get all upset and be a danger to themselves and others.

My driving life would be complete when I can be the facilitator to one of these gems (skip to 01:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGbiHvArG0
:rofl::rofl:

Flying affects my driving in that it has made the latter so mundane and lackluster of an activity by comparison, that I pursue it with great pastiness. It drives these impatient a-hole drivers crazy, and the best thing is, these inside-the-car-tough guys/gals won't do much past get all upset and be a danger to themselves and others.

My driving life would be complete when I can be the facilitator to one of these gems (skip to 01:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGbiHvArG0
:rofl::rofl:

It's true, knowing myself I would still probably get out of the car and try to help the guy. Maybe the experience would make him change or maybe not, but I wouldn't sleep well at night if I just laughed and kept driving.

A couple of weeks ago, someone with a PPL less than a year old accosted me after I returned to the FBO. I had been flying in the pattern practicing crosswind landings and takeoffs in a plane I had not flown in a number of months. This was at a towered airport. The gentleman was seething with rage.
Says he: "What the fxxx do you think you were doing out there!!"
Says me: "Pardon me?"
Says he: "You heard me! What the fxxx do you think you were doing out there!!!"
Says me: "I thought it was pretty obvious. Practicing crosswind takeoffs and landings."
Says he: "There was no WIND!!! !!!HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID!! It's pilots like you that give us all a bad name!. I'm going to report you to the FAA!!!!!" (all other expletives deleted for the sake of brevity.)
Says me: "Let me dial that number for you."

He brings the same level of rage to parking spots, traffic rules, typos and a number of other instances I've noticed in the past year or so.

The point is, everyone brings their attitude and personality to whatever they do, and a jerk is a jerk in or out of the cockpit. (IMHO But it seems to get amplified when they get a license to fly.) All the FAA buzzword driven programs in the world will never fix the problem. People who recognize they have a problem will fix it. people who deny they have a problem just keep on keeping on.

People like that, I just let them vent and just walk away...Not worth it!

And you would be much older too . ::D
500 hrs /year x 20 years = 10000 hrs

I believe my flying goals can be achieved in less than 10,000 hours. If I wanted to hit that number I would have to work for the airlines but in my opinion it would take the fun out of flying when I want to.

If I had folks do to me in the aircraft what they do in cars just about every day I'd have hung up flying long ago.

Why would a tower tell a pilot to fly 50 feet off of the ground with another airplane right behind him across the airport? IMO I think they were trying to relive Topgun the movie.

"Mustang 1 Bravo Zulu, flight of two, cleared low approach, then enter left downwind, runway 35 Left."

You still haven't articulated what the so-called "mistake" was.

"Mustang 1 Bravo Zulu, flight of two, cleared low approach, then enter left downwind, runway 35 Left."

You still haven't articulated what the so-called "mistake" was.

The point of this whole thread is to compare the mental similarities between a person that drives a car to a person that flies an airplane.

The point of this whole thread is to compare the mental similarities between a person that drives a car to a person that flies an airplane.

The average car driver doesn't drive, they aim.

2a3e2ymy.jpg

Crappy iPhone photo but you get the idea. Karen's side of the garage. ;)

I take off behind other airplanes all the time, and sometimes there are even 2 airplanes on the same runway landing!

Its also all under the guidance of a control tower.

Becoming a pilot has made me a far worse driver.

Lately, it's had exactly the opposite effect on me, and probably for the better. I'm doing an instrument rating now, and trying to do all of my VFR flying as precisely as we do during the training. It's carried over to driving. "Ok, I'm going to be exiting left, then turning right, woops, not exactly in the center of the lane, check speed (nailed it), engine gauges, tach, back to check traffic around me, 2 miles to go" repeat.

Once you really try to be a good driver, almost everyone else looks incompetent.

I take off behind other airplanes all the time, and sometimes there are even 2 airplanes on the same runway landing!

Its also all under the guidance of a control tower.

Excuse me for my ignorance but isn't there a thing called wake turbulence? Even if the control tower told you that you can go wouldn't you be a little concerned all it takes is one time.

Excuse me for my ignorance but isn't there a thing called wake turbulence? Even if the control tower told you that you can go wouldn't you be a little concerned all it takes is one time.

"Caution, wake turbulence. Departing Cherokee".

Ain't gonna happen. The wake behind our GA planes is no big deal.

-Skip

Lately, it's had exactly the opposite effect on me, and probably for the better. I'm doing an instrument rating now, and trying to do all of my VFR flying as precisely as we do during the training. It's carried over to driving. "Ok, I'm going to be exiting left, then turning right, woops, not exactly in the center of the lane, check speed (nailed it), engine gauges, tach, back to check traffic around me, 2 miles to go" repeat.

Once you really try to be a good driver, almost everyone else looks incompetent.
Of course, just like pilots, bad drivers generally don't know they are bad drivers.

Actually, you may have missed the most useful parallel thought: anticipating and planning your move to the right lane enought in advance of your exit to make the exit a non-event/don't have the airplane go somewhere your brain hasn't been earlier.

Wake turbulence is only an issue when a much larger aircraft takes off or lands in front of you.

Wake turbulence is only an issue when a much larger aircraft takes off or lands in front of you.

It can be an issue even if the heavy is not taking off or landing. There were cases of wake turbulence en route. I think actually one broke an aircraft en route to Oshkosh last year (there was a thread about it around here).
It is true however that it's usually more of a problem (and definitely more likely) during take off and landing.

Of course, just like pilots, bad drivers generally don't know they are bad drivers.

Actually, you may have missed the most useful parallel thought: anticipating and planning your move to the right lane enought in advance of your exit to make the exit a non-event/don't have the airplane go somewhere your brain hasn't been earlier.

That is good stuff Mark! Thanks!

I read somewhere that it happens with smaller airplanes too. I have to go and look it up!

Smaller planes generate a wake too, it's just that it's not a problem to anyone because it's not strong enough to cause trouble (maybe to insects and birds, or some small RC plane).

When you do steep turns you'll hit your own wake and see it's not very strong.

Back