Car talk - maintenance

Hijacking the thread....

Jann's late 1980-something Volvo 740 that was her Dad's has the SRS light on.

Our local guy, of course, says he can't troubleshoot it without the computer. I called the Volvo dealer who says it would be $110 to look at it and then we can start talking about what it actually takes to fix it.

I told Jann to forget it. If it were me I'd fix it with a piece of black tape and take my chances that I might not get the air bag deployed in a crash. We wear the belts anyway and hey, it's a Volvo tank.

Izzat really dumb?

mikea said:
Izzat really dumb?

I recall all early airbag cars having a sticker saying the airbag must be inspected after 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Volvo programmed a counter in the computer to illuminate the light after 10 years.

I don't see this in newer cars, so I suppose the systems and connections have proven to be lifetime.

As a friend always tells me, you pays your money and takes your chances. If you're ok with the possibility of no airbag in a severe crash, then go for it.

Speaking of abuse, I told, and told, and told(!) the older son to always check the oil in the 68 Dodge Deerslayer (aka Dart) Slant Six when gassing up. It was a two-stroke that pretended to be a four-stroke, and the oil pressure switch wire was a little less than reliable. Well, guess what? That's right, engines do indeed quit running, especially when there's no oil.

This was the same Dart that he and his (then girlfriend) wife busted reverse in the Torqueflite--seems they got stuck in a field. Ahem.

Detroit iron does take abuse more than other makes, but I think even those days are coming to an end, as economics are driving out spare metal in crankshafts, e.g., and tuning/tweaking is extracting the most energy for the least cost, in weight, $$, &c.

BTW, Elisabeth: I have muscle control issues with my right foot too :rolleyes: . Fortunately, GPS and cruise control have kept me from financing the local gubm'nt.

Later,
Jim

Bill Jennings said:
As a friend always tells me, you pays your money and takes your chances. If you're ok with the possibility of no airbag in a severe crash, then go for it.
Or the possibility of the airbag going off with NO crash...like down the highway at 70mph.

For stuff like this, I'd rather pay the money than take my chances. Airbags have saved two of my immediate family members' lives (oddly enough, they were both in non-moving cars at the time). I don't mess with them.

Miss Woodstock/Elizabeth,

Unless you have some true attachment to the vehicle, I might think about relegating that accumulation of teutonic technology to an alternate universe. Boo MB. Prior bad experiences tell me, as my raven would say "nevermore"

For someone cool, such as yourself and me, might I suggest the legendary Lotus Elise. 2 seats, ~1400 pounds, 190 horsepower. Neck snapping acceleration, corners on a dime and gives you 9 cents change. It is especially attractive in Black. And it will certainly get you some second looks - not that you need enhancement or artificial stimulation.

Lucas, Prince of Darkness is no longer on staff at Lotus, and the cost is - reasonable - given todays market.

And if you want you can call me KP or Kevin, or Ken or whatever tickles your fancy.

W.O'Boogie said:
For someone cool, such as yourself and me, might I suggest the legendary Lotus Elise. 2 seats, ~1400 pounds, 190 horsepower. Neck snapping acceleration, corners on a dime and gives you 9 cents change. It is especially attractive in Black. And it will certainly get you some second looks - not that you need enhancement or artificial stimulation.

Nice car, but then would almost require her to own a second vehicle, unless her friends are going to drive all the time.

Bill Jennings said:
Nice car, but then would almost require her to own a second vehicle, unless her friends are going to drive all the time.
Driven a few Lotus's (Loti?) in my day. Always had to drive with one hand and hold it together with the other.

I'll stick to my Mercedes any day.

Hell, my Jag was more reliable than any Lotus I've ever seen.

The worst car was the Audi Fox I allowed my ex wife to keep.

Current crop:

'82 Mercedes 240D 250K miles
'85 Mercedes 300D 390K miles
'86 Mercedes 300SDL 180K miles
'89 Mercedes 300E 200K miles
'89 Pathfinder 212K miles
'91 Suzuki Sidekick ?? Miles (rivals the Audi in reliability)
'90 GMC 4X4 ?? Miles

NC Pilot said:
Driven a few Lotus's (Loti?) in my day. Always had to drive with one hand and hold it together with the other.

I'll stick to my Mercedes any day.

Hell, my Jag was more reliable than any Lotus I've ever seen.

The worst car was the Audi Fox I allowed my ex wife to keep.

Current crop:

'89 Pathfinder 212K miles
'91 Suzuki Sidekick ?? Miles (rivals the Audi in reliability)
'90 GMC 4X4 ?? Miles

Mark, that's quite a stable!

I won't get rid of this car until it quits running. although I'd definitely get a second car for fun stuff. (plus I need something down south anyway).

I have to say, I'm spoiled with my current gas mileage - I hadn't driven an SUV before but rented a Liberty in SC so I could buy furniture and stuff for the house on my last trip. That thing was a pig - and it's a small SUV. 18 gallon tank and I was on fumes at barely 250 miles. On the Benz the light comes on around 330 miles and it's a smaller tank.

woodstock said:
Mark, that's quite a stable!

Don't be too impressed. Two are purchased for childen to drive, two are purchased for distant rental property as something to drive when we fly in and one (Pathfinder) is for hauling crap and driving in really bad weather (snow, ice, etc.). Leaving one for Agatha and one for me...

woodstock said:
I won't get rid of this car until it quits running. although I'd definitely get a second car for fun stuff. (plus I need something down south anyway).

As long as you take care of it, your current car will last a very, very long time.

Ken Ibold said:
Although I am a cynic, I don't necessarily agree with your pessimistic view. People are so USED to just driving their cars, the idiot lights are reminders that a car does need periodic maintenance. My 04 Honda Pilot has just such an idiot light, and right there in the owners manual it tells how to reset it if you do the work yourself or a shop neglects to reset it for you. (Hold in the odometer set button and turn the key from off to on, wait at least 5 seconds before releasing the button.) I wish all the manufs would make resetting the light so easy, then perhaps you wouldn't perceive it as part of a ripoff scheme.

That's exactly what I do to reset it on my 2000 Volvo S70...

NC Pilot said:

I like the old Benz turbo-D cars, but most look pretty whipped. Can you still get decent ones that won't cost you an arm and a leg to get into shape?

Bill Jennings said:
I like the old Benz turbo-D cars, but most look pretty whipped. Can you still get decent ones that won't cost you an arm and a leg to get into shape?
They're good for a million miles. Just deal with the look.

mikea said:
They're good for a million miles. Just deal with the look.

So the ones that look like utter crap are most likely still great mechanically?

Bill Jennings said:
So the ones that look like utter crap are most likely still great mechanically?
The diesels are built to last forever. I had a 240D with 240000 miles on that was trouble free except the A/C didn't work. It just was so slow I overcompensated and bought a Mustang. I shoulda kept the 240, too.

Bill Jennings said:
You can still find decent one by keeping your eyes open. Check out Ebay, sometimes a good one shows up there as well. The nice thing about the old benzes is that everything can be rebuilt. It doesn't have to be replaced. From the seats to the brake calipers to the power steering pump to the vacuum pump, they all have rebuild kits.

As far as continued maintenance the parts are really cheap as long as you know where to look. The million mile MB diesel is somewhat of a myth. There are some that make it to 900K, but most are pretty whipped by the time they hit 500,000 miles. Replace the timing chain every 200,000 miles, adjust the valves and change the oil every 3000 miles and it will be a reliable car.

YIKES!!!! In the 2+ years we've owned our Hyundai Elantra GT it's cost us roughly $150 total in mx.... oil changes and a plug to stop a tire leak. True, it's getting ready to cost us a bit more in a couple months when I replace tires and probably brakes, but I think I'll still be well under what it costs you every six months. I like my humble little car more and more. :)

OK you Mercedes fans..
Dr Benz had two daughters. He used they're names in his endevors.
What were the two daughters names?

BTW;
Larry,
I've only gotten 1 year out of my front tires on my 'vettes...somehow the rears always need replacing sooner...:goofy:

CC

Bill Jennings said:

Absolutely. I've looked at quite a few, the most recent one for $900 without a spot of rust. The automatic trans kept me from buying it. I'm an idiot.

When the Silverado dies a non-turbo diesel 200-series or 300-series is my next car.

woodstock said:
Hi all

the semi-annual thread!

I sent my car in for its A service (the car tells you when it needs servicing - A or B.)

Supposely A is the less intrusive service - just a checkup.

The car checked out great (it should, it runs great).

It's almost 6 yrs old with 65K miles on it. (yes, I know, almost an old-lady car. I figure my NEXT new car will eventually become much coveted by young hot-rodders. a 10 yr old convertible with 30K miles on it...)

anyway, the standard must-dos (checkup, all fluids etc) come to around 800 bucks. no worries.

the dealer reco'd, due to the age of the car, to get new platinum tipped spark plugs (it already has these) replaced as well as a fuel filter. for another grand. I only use premium gas and no issues at all. He admitted it's not a mileage thing, it's the age.

waste of money right now? I told him I think it can wait until a later check up or when the car starts acting up. I get decent city mileage - around 24-25 mpg.

Right. With unleaded fuel and computer controlled engines, you shouldn't have to replace your plugs for at least 250,000 miles. Just occassionally pull them and check they are still good and the color (light tan) indicates the computer & injector system are doing their job properly. As to the fuel filter, it'll let you know when it's time. Besides, $1000 is about $850 too much even if they have to drop the tank.

woodstock said:
I told them to hold off on the other stuff. I know getting plugs and all done even through a mechanic isn't cheap. I can't believe the fuel filter is 350 of that though. they must do other things while replacing these things.

You bet, in this case booking vacations to Tahiti. They see you coming, but you are cute.

Grumman79L said:
OK you Mercedes fans..
Dr Benz had two daughters. He used they're names in his endevors.
What were the two daughters names?

BTW;
Larry,
I've only gotten 1 year out of my front tires on my 'vettes...somehow the rears always need replacing sooner...:goofy:

CC
Not sure about Dr. Benz's daughters names, but I do know that the comanies Benz and Daimler combined in 1926 to form Daimler Benz. It was a Daimler dealer named Emil Jellinek who used his daughters name, Mercedes, when entering his Daimler cars in races in the early 1900's. That lead to the use of the name in Europe.

NC Pilot said:
Not sure about Dr. Benz's daughters names, but I do know that the comanies Benz and Daimler combined in 1926 to form Daimler Benz. It was a Daimler dealer named Emil Jellinek who used his daughters name, Mercedes, when entering his Daimler cars in races in the early 1900's. That lead to the use of the name in Europe.
Yeah, and Bill Lear did not have any daughters named Shanda, Lava, or Gonda.

Back