Car talk - maintenance

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hi all

the semi-annual thread!

I sent my car in for its A service (the car tells you when it needs servicing - A or B.)

Supposely A is the less intrusive service - just a checkup.

The car checked out great (it should, it runs great).

It's almost 6 yrs old with 65K miles on it. (yes, I know, almost an old-lady car. I figure my NEXT new car will eventually become much coveted by young hot-rodders. a 10 yr old convertible with 30K miles on it...)

anyway, the standard must-dos (checkup, all fluids etc) come to around 800 bucks. no worries.

the dealer reco'd, due to the age of the car, to get new platinum tipped spark plugs (it already has these) replaced as well as a fuel filter. for another grand. I only use premium gas and no issues at all. He admitted it's not a mileage thing, it's the age.

waste of money right now? I told him I think it can wait until a later check up or when the car starts acting up. I get decent city mileage - around 24-25 mpg.

woodstock said:
Hi all

the semi-annual thread!

I sent my car in for its A service (the car tells you when it needs servicing - A or B.)

It's almost 6 yrs old with 65K miles on it. (yes, I know, almost an old-lady car. I figure my NEXT new car will eventually become much coveted by young hot-rodders. a 10 yr old convertible with 30K miles on it...)

anyway, the standard must-dos (checkup, all fluids etc) come to around 800 bucks. no worries.
Woah. That's some expensive fluids.

woodstock said:
]the dealer reco'd, due to the age of the car, to get new platinum tipped spark plugs (it already has these) replaced as well as a fuel filter. for another grand. I only use premium gas and no issues at all. He admitted it's not a mileage thing, it's the age.

waste of money right now? I told him I think it can wait until a later check up or when the car starts acting up. I get decent city mileage - around 24-25 mpg.
It sounds like a waste of money. Do you have any faint memory of when they installed the platinum plugs in the first place they promised they would be good for 35,000 (50,000? 100,000?) miles?

My suggestion is you stop going to the dealer and find a good local independant mechanic. You'll save a lot of money and have less chance they'll tell you need $1000 worth of spark plugs.

Speaking of Car Talk..you can find a good mechanic on the Car Talk web site. http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/
I found two great shops using those recommendations.

I can buy a lot of Motorcraft spark plugs and air filters for $1,000.

Of course, I haven't changed spark plugs on my diesel truck for 200,000 miles. ;)

If it running well. Forget it.

Also, at 60K if the car has a timing belt I would worry about that. What kind of car is it

wow - a fuel filter and spark plugs run you a grand?

Methinks either you're being ripped off, or your platinum tipped spark plugs are actually diamond tipped.

FWIW - last month, I:

Changed Spark Plugs
Replaced Distributor Cap
New Rotor
New Wires
Changed Oil
Flushed Radiator
Replaced Belts
Checked Timing
Lubed Chassis

And probably another 10-15 small things. Cost me about $110 tops. This is with Iridium Plugs.

The neat thing about today's cars, is most of them tell you when something is wrong.. The platinum plugs are supposed to be a 100,000 plus mileage plug. Check the owners manual for manufacturers recommendations, because the dealer usually goes a little short of those.

btw - did he suggest a new muffler bearing too?

SkyHog said:
This is with Iridium Plugs.

Iridium? Wow can you phone home from your spark plugs? http://www.iridium.com/

Really! what was the selling point on these? Iridium metal has basically the same properties as platinum as being an element that is not attacked by acids.

I buy Autolite regular plugs for my 150k Jeep. Runs great.

smigaldi said:

Really! what was the selling point on these? Iridium metal has basically the same properties as platinum as being an element that is not attacked by acids.

The selling point was that I had disposable income at the time, and felt like being fancy. I usually buy the Bosch +2s. I've had Champions and Autolites foul on me too often (I abuse my truck at times).

smigaldi said:

I want to get Iridums for the plane. They're supposesd to resist lead fouling.

They are BTW, the last I checked, $75 each, or $900 for 12. I guess for $1000 they would throw in a few spares.

I've read some things that say you are better off buying the cheap Autolites...as the platnium tip ones are extremely easy to damage and a good majority of them are damaged by your average mechanic just putting them in.

Of course. I can't really vouch for that statement because I've never bought the things and have never even held one to look at how crappy it may or may not be.

Autolite plugs for my car.
NGK plugs for my bike.

woodstock said:
Hi all

the semi-annual thread!

That means they look at the fluids, brakes, belts, etc. to see what they can sell you more of to increase their profilts.

woodstock said:

WOW!! YOu should have just gotten an oil change from one of those quicky places. You would have had the same service and same inspection.

woodstock said:
the dealer reco'd, due to the age of the car, to get new platinum tipped spark plugs (it already has these) replaced as well as a fuel filter. for another grand. I only use premium gas and no issues at all. He admitted it's not a mileage thing, it's the age.
He smelled estrogen. No reason for that stuff.

woodstock said:
IMHO yes it is a waste of money right now. If everything is running well there is no reason to change. Keep your oil clean, do a tune up each year, watch your belt wear and you will be fine.

I have three cars and one airplane
Cars: 1994 Jeep Cherokee, 150K miles and going stong. I replace the spark plugs each fall allong with the distributor and rotor. Oil change every 3k-4k miles, and radiator fluid once a year, usually summer.

1997 Honda Accord, 78k miles. Same thing as the Jeep, never a problem

2000 BMW M-Roadster 38k, dealer gets it for everything because it is free.

1980 Piper Cherokee, 4k TTAF, 1047SMOH, I WISH it was as maintenance free as my cars ;);)

as far as i know, my car still has original plugs in it. 87000ish miles on it. Ive had it since 50000ish.
it still runs.

It's a Mercedes, and it's being done through the dealer. the checkup alone (diagnostics, etc) is 400 bucks, the fluids (all fluids) another 400. plus wiper and other odds and ends.

I told them to hold off on the other stuff. I know getting plugs and all done even through a mechanic isn't cheap. I can't believe the fuel filter is 350 of that though. they must do other things while replacing these things.

Dan, they checked all that stuff and it's fine. supposedly these checkups are very comprehensive.

The plugs should be originals. When the car was under warranty EVERYTHING was free, so I only started paying for these items a year ago. I don't recall them replacing the plugs before although since they would have been free I don't recall.

I'll check the manual to see if they give a mileage on these items. 65K miles isn't enough to start replacing everything especially if it's running well. once the mpg starts slipping then it's something to think about.

Cut her some slack, guys. Yes, service at a Mercedes dealership costs more than at Joe's garage. But that's not her question.

Re the new plugs, I would take a pass as well. The service techs at lux car dealerships are all about making sure the car continues to give good service AND that it requires maintenance on your terms rather than the car's terms. They were simply erring on the side of continuing serviceability of the car and gave it as a recommendation. Last time my Beemer was in, they recommended I have new tires put on, even though the tires are still serviceable. When I asked them why, they said many owners are open checkbook folks who simply want the car to be without issues, and they want to keep folks apprised of what MIGHT go wrong as well as what's wrong. I'm sure they don't mind if they make a few extra bucks along the way, but a Mercedes is not supposed to break down, and they see this as a potential source of failure.

ps. it is 12 plugs. anyway - not doing it now. I do think 100K sounds right. which means another 4 years...

Ken Ibold said:
Cut her some slack, guys. Yes, service at a Mercedes dealership costs more than at Joe's garage. But that's not her question.

Re the new plugs, I would take a pass as well. The service techs at lux car dealerships are all about making sure the car continues to give good service AND that it requires maintenance on your terms rather than the car's terms. They were simply erring on the side of continuing serviceability of the car and gave it as a recommendation. Last time my Beemer was in, they recommended I have new tires put on, even though the tires are still serviceable. When I asked them why, they said many owners are open checkbook folks who simply want the car to be without issues, and they want to keep folks apprised of what MIGHT go wrong as well as what's wrong. I'm sure they don't mind if they make a few extra bucks along the way, but a Mercedes is not supposed to break down, and they see this as a potential source of failure.

Ken - right on. I don't mind paying extra to have a dealer do it, I really don't. it's all on record that everything was kept up to snuff and I figure all the free work done until the warranty expired made paying extra not a big deal. and I would rather have maintenance on my terms.

but I do think new plugs right now are silly - I know people with 3 year old cars with more miles on them.

We had a saying in the Navy for that kind of stuff .... BOHICA!!!

Find an independent mechanic and tell the dealer adios and good riddance! If they try the scare tactic about voided warranty because of required scheduled maintenance being done, remind them that there's no warranty requirement to have the work done at a stealer, er dealer.

gkainz said:
We had a saying in the Navy for that kind of stuff .... BOHICA!!!

Find an independent mechanic and tell the dealer adios and good riddance! If they try the scare tactic about voided warranty because of required scheduled maintenance being done, remind them that there's no warranty requirement to have the work done at a stealer, er dealer.

actually there isn't any warranty anymore - this is just peace of mind. plus I get a free Mercedes loaner! :)

what is BOHICA?

I mean this in the nicest way possible Ken, but you are also getting ripped off, primarily because there is nothing that a dealer knows about working on the cars that an ASE mechanic at a non-dealer garage doesn't know.

Why? Because they are both ASEs and likely went through the same training. There is next to no reason to put dealer only parts on a vehicle and certainly no reason to spend $1000 on spark plugs and a fuel filter (as was said by the dealer mechanics). Mercedes or Gremlin, an ASE is an ASE.

That said, its your money.

I'm gonna derail this thread for a minute...

Nick, WHAT is up with your sig being so big? Its VERY visually distracting to the discussion.

woodstock said:
actually there isn't any warranty anymore - this is just peace of mind. plus I get a free Mercedes loaner! :)

what is BOHICA?

There ya go - thats is the best reason possible. I was under the impression you felt you had to go to the dealer. If you choose to go to the dealer for the rental car, thats as good a reason as actually wasting money on anything other than 87 octane gas in a "luxury" care with the same engine as a non-luxury car.

:D Was hoping it was choice, and not a forced decision by a bogus warranty claim.

Greebo said:
I'm gonna derail this thread for a minute...

Nick, WHAT is up with your sig being so big? Its VERY visually distracting to the discussion.

Yeah...it is isn't it? Change is on the way.

fwiw - its smaller than my last sig :D

woodstock said:
ps. it is 12 plugs. anyway - not doing it now. I do think 100K sounds right. which means another 4 years...

There is no reason that a car cannot go well past 100k. All that is needed is to do the maintence that needs to be done on the wear items. My cars usually are sold when I really just get tired of doing maintenance on them. I despertly want to replace the Jeep but the darn thing runs great, has only one tiny spot of rust on it, does what it need to, and has been paid off for almost 3/4s of a decade now.

Keeping on top of the maintenance is the right thing to do. Just shop around for who does it. At 6 years old I am assuming you are out of warrenty? See if there is a Mercedes mechanic that is an independant around that can do the service for you.

SkyHog said:
I mean this in the nicest way possible Ken, but you are also getting ripped off, primarily because there is nothing that a dealer knows about working on the cars that an ASE mechanic at a non-dealer garage doesn't know.

Why? Because they are both ASEs and likely went through the same training. There is next to no reason to put dealer only parts on a vehicle and certainly no reason to spend $1000 on spark plugs and a fuel filter (as was said by the dealer mechanics). Mercedes or Gremlin, an ASE is an ASE.

That said, its your money.
Joe's Garage ASE's don't go through factory training nor receive the same bulletins and announcements that the dealerships do. The additional training and equipment the dealerships get for their mechanics is part of what she is paying for.

This is why no one touches my truck except a certified Ford DIESEL mechanic. Yes, it costs more but it's done right the first time and I don't have to mess with two mechanic's arguing the best way to replace something (seen that happen, too).

BOHICA ... Bend Over, Here It Comes Again ... usually muttered after receiving a "career enhancing assignment" or other such wonderful news.

smigaldi said:
Keeping on top of the maintenance is the right thing to do. Just shop around for who does it. At 6 years old I am assuming you are out of warrenty? See if there is a Mercedes mechanic that is an independant around that can do the service for you.
Yeah but recommending new platinum plugs which, if I understand correctly, have a 100k mile life, at 65k miles (65% of their lifespan) is, well, its the dealer trying to sell a little more, if you ask me.

But I agree - someone earlier said basically if its not broke dont fix it. Thats a recipie to have to replace a car in a few years. If you want a car to last a lifetime, you have to treat it like you treat an airplane - REGULAR maintenance w/o skimping.

Brian Austin said:
Joe's Garage ASE's don't go through factory training nor receive the same bulletins and announcements that the dealerships do. The additional training and equipment the dealerships get for their mechanics is part of what she is paying for.

This is why no one touches my truck except a certified Ford DIESEL mechanic. Yes, it costs more but it's done right the first time and I don't have to mess with two mechanic's arguing the best way to replace something (seen that happen, too).
However, your Ford does not have a Ford diesel, so what's that position based on? My Dodge truck doesn't have a Dodge diesel, but there's plenty of guys that are a wiz with the Cummins, probably way more outside a 5 star dealership than inside. BTW, the spark plugs for your truck are a special order item! :D

Brian Austin said:
Joe's Garage ASE's don't go through factory training nor receive the same bulletins and announcements that the dealerships do.

Poppycock. The bulletins are put out by the dealer and received by anyone who subscribes (note, any decent shop or a subscriber to a product like Mitchell).

The additional training and equipment the dealerships get for their mechanics is part of what she is paying for.

Nope - the name is what she is paying for. That is it.

Suit yourself, but the argument still happens, Brian, you just don't see it because the dealerships are so big. And if you want to pay the extra for the same service - more power to ya, but you're not getting anything more than a bloated bill.

gkainz said:
However, your Ford does not have a Ford diesel, so what's that position based on? My Dodge truck doesn't have a Dodge diesel, but there's plenty of guys that are a wiz with the Cummins, probably way more outside a 5 star dealership than inside. BTW, the spark plugs for your truck are a special order item! :D
You're assuming that only the engine is being serviced here...

Greebo said:
Yeah but recommending new platinum plugs which, if I understand correctly, have a 100k mile life, at 65k miles (65% of their lifespan) is, well, its the dealer trying to sell a little more, if you ask me.

But I agree - someone earlier said basically if its not broke dont fix it. Thats a recipie to have to replace a car in a few years. If you want a car to last a lifetime, you have to treat it like you treat an airplane -
I am completely in agreement with you up to a point. That point being this statement:
Greebo said:
REGULAR maintenance w/o skimping.
Spending more does not necessarily mean that you getting something better. You point this out yourself with the platinum plug observation. A person could spend less for regular plugs and still have good service and life expectancy of their vehicle.

Spending more does not necessarily mean that you getting something better. You point this out yourself with the platinum plug observation. A person could spend less for regular plugs and still have good service and life expectancy of their vehicle.
Good point. Let me change the statement:

Regular, well-educated maintenance.

Better?

Brian Austin said:
Joe's Garage ASE's don't go through factory training nor receive the same bulletins and announcements that the dealerships do.

I know many that came form the dealerships, have had the same training and subscribe to the bulitens for the cars that they have decided to put in their 'practice'. That is why I suggested to Elizabeth to find a mechanic that works on Mercedes as part of their business. they probably will know more about the car than the dealer as they are working on it longer.

SkyHog said:
Poppycock. The bulletins are put out by the dealer and received by anyone who subscribes (note, any decent shop or a subscriber to a product like Mitchell).
Note the qualifier in your sentence: any "decent" shop. With a dealership, I KNOW they have the stuff. Without it, I have to do the research and due diligence. I also have a channel back to the manufacturer since, as a dealer, the manufacturer has a stake in the outcome of the transaction. Not so at a third party shop.

SkyHog said:
Nope - the name is what she is paying for. That is it.
So the training is the same? That's what you're saying here. The MB/BMW/GM/Ford/whatever factory training that the manufacturers provide the dealers has no advantage over someone graduating from an ASE school?

SkyHog said:
Suit yourself, but the argument still happens, Brian, you just don't see it because the dealerships are so big. And if you want to pay the extra for the same service - more power to ya, but you're not getting anything more than a bloated bill.
I'm 38 years old and have owned almost 20 cars since I was 19. I've dealt with everything from a backwoods mechanic who did a great job (literally 10 miles of gravel roads just to get to him) to a crappy Porsche dealer (who another dealer actually covered his mistakes through Porsche).

I know what works for me and my cars, Nick, and that's all I care about. Once upon a time, I used to do the work myself. Now with the computers and crap that's inside them, it's easier to deal with the one mechanic I always get at the dealership (and yes, I know him personally after he started taking care of my truck).

SkyHog said:
There ya go - thats is the best reason possible. I was under the impression you felt you had to go to the dealer. If you choose to go to the dealer for the rental car, thats as good a reason as actually wasting money on anything other than 87 octane gas in a "luxury" care with the same engine as a non-luxury car.

:D Was hoping it was choice, and not a forced decision by a bogus warranty claim.

sometimes it's a Jag, sometimes a Saab - once they offered me a Hummer but I declined. :)

hmm this has got to be one of the fastest expanding posts ever. 1 hour and 39 replies. you guys keep stats on this sort of thing?

tonycondon said:
hmm this has got to be one of the fastest expanding posts ever. 1 hour and 39 replies. you guys keep stats on this sort of thing?

I was wondering that myself. It was is a fast growth thread to be sure!!

Back