Car Repair Thread

Question...

Is it possible that a really nasty air filter could cause this?
I opened the casing that contains it to check it. It was pretty filthy and somehow got distracted and forgot to close it. Meaning now the engine was breathing freely.

I went to drive the car to the shop and as soon as I started it, the Service engine light went off. No issues driving the car for about 20 min. Remembered that I forgot to re latch the intake. Stopped in at the autozone (not really autozone but I can never spell Oreiliyes so for this post it is autozone but between you and me it was the other one) Got a new air cleaner, popped it in and got on with my life.

The car never hiccuped or anything. Is it possible that a seriously nasty air cleaner could lead to random misfire?

Question...

I opened the casing that contains it to check it. It was pretty filthy and somehow got distracted and forgot to close it. Meaning now the engine was breathing freely.

I went to drive the car to the shop and as soon as I started it, the Service engine light went off. No issues driving the car for about 20 min. Remembered that I forgot to re latch the intake. Stopped in at the autozone (not really autozone but I can never spell Oreiliyes so for this post it is autozone but between you and me it was the other one) Got a new air cleaner, popped it in and got on with my life.

The car never hiccuped or anything. Is it possible that a seriously nasty air cleaner could lead to random misfire?

Yes....

If the incoming air is drastically reduced,,, The mass airflow sensor will not understand that low value, and the puter might say "fug it"...:confused:

IMO A/C leak may not be where you show in video.

Best to have a black light to find where leak is. Engine doesn't need to be running. Your vehicle would have had dye already in the system based on year. Sometimes A/C leaks are not too hard to find without a black light, as there is an oily residue left behind from PAG oil escaping too.

The P300 is probably an intake leak...fairly common with that engine. But the diagnostic tools you need to be sure....you probably don't have.

Question...

Yes..

Personally I do all my own AC system work. Replace hose, replace o-rings, replace accumulator, replace expansion valve, pull a vacuum, turn pump off and see if it holds over night, if so vacuum some more then charge. I have a 30 lb tank of R-134A, vacuum pump, refrigerant scale, and manifold set.

You really want to charge by weight of refrigerant. Just adding some with some gauge is a recipe for disaster.

You can get completely setup for AC work for a few hundred bucks.

Last edited:
Question...

Yes, if it's filthy enough.

Rich

Question...

Newer cars usually come with a MAP/MAF (Manifold Absolute Pressure/Manifold Absolute Flow) sensor that samples the pressure/flow of air, and adjusts the fuel flow accordingly. 90% of the time, a dirty air filter will just inform the computer that less air is getting into the engine, so less fuel is required. Obviously if you drive through a sand storm and clog your filter so much that no air can pass, you've got a problem (unless you have copious amounts of vacuum leaks:)

First issue: Nissan had a problem with A/C lines for many years. I have seen a several brand new lines from the dealer fail within a short time. Since it doesn't sound like you are going to DIY this, I would make SURE I had a shop that will warranty the repair do the work.

Second Issue: P0300. As others have said an intake leak is a big possibility. I would check the manifold, intake and resonator, etc. carefully for anything obvious. If you take it to a well equipped shop they will have a smoke machine that is used to apply low pressure and smoke into the intake system and show any leaks. Don't just pay someone to "look" for a leak. On this issue at least you can be an educated consumer.

On the fuel filter: I agree strongly with the above poster, leave it alone. Don't create another variable.

Newer cars usually come with a MAP/MAF (Manifold Absolute Pressure/Manifold Absolute Flow) sensor that samples the pressure/flow of air, and adjusts the fuel flow accordingly. 90% of the time, a dirty air filter will just inform the computer that less air is getting into the engine, so less fuel is required. Obviously if you drive through a sand storm and clog your filter so much that no air can pass, you've got a problem (unless you have copious amounts of vacuum leaks:)

No car since 1995 uses MAP.

All cars now use MAF and have a BARO sensor integrated within MAF sensor.

MAP was the old useless technology with early fuel injection systems. It took a barometric pressure reading at startup(technically closed loop...when reached ect parameter) and used that for fuel strategy. It never changed fuel strategy unless it saw a WOT signal(wide open throttle). Which meant if you started at sea level and (went up pikes peak for instance)and never put the pedal to the floor....your vehicle was having serious performance issues.

MAF is called MASS AIR FLOW....it meters all incoming air no matter what elevation...so even with a clogged air filter....it still is only metering the air that flows through the filter regardless. It also has has Barometric pressure sensor built into it. All new cars have this. So the car knows exactly the best mixture at any given point even with a clogged air filter.

Now....any leak past the MAF....and we have a problem. Hence the P0300. Granted it's a missfire monitor code...but those don't always indicate what u unexperienced folks think a missfire would be.

You can also have partially functioning MAF....with a bad BARO sensor....meaning MAF isn't perfectly functioning since they are integrated within the same part. (it will never throw a code for the MAF). Technicians in a certain elevation know what the baro parameter should be....and on a scan tool this is very obvious.

Like I stated before the P0300 isn't an easy one for a shade tree mechanic.

Last edited:
Good catch on my acronym flub...correct, Mass Air Flow.
My automobile diagnostics stopped around 2000, so my term of "newer cars" is relative, but 2000-current cars can have either MAP or MAF (even the new Altima's have a MAP, although the 07 had a MAF).

I have a car with MAF and a blowoff valve that escapes to the atmosphere...not an ideal combination for the fuel ratio since the air that is already accounted for through the sensor is escaping, changing the ratio (this wouldn't happen with a MAP sensor). Just a little puff of smoke out the back while I row through the gears.

No car since 1995 uses MAP.

All cars now use MAF and have a BARO sensor integrated within MAF sensor.

MAP was the old useless technology with early fuel injection systems. It took a barometric pressure reading at startup(technically closed loop...when reached ect parameter) and used that for fuel strategy. It never changed fuel strategy unless it saw a WOT signal(wide open throttle). Which meant if you started at sea level and (went up pikes peak for instance)and never put the pedal to the floor....your vehicle was having serious performance issues.

MAF is called MASS AIR FLOW....it meters all incoming air no matter what elevation...so even with a clogged air filter....it still is only metering the air that flows through the filter regardless. It also has has Barometric pressure sensor built into it. All new cars have this. So the car knows exactly the best mixture at any given point even with a clogged air filter.

Now....any leak past the MAF....and we have a problem. Hence the P0300. Granted it's a missfire monitor code...but those don't always indicate what u unexperienced folks think a missfire would be.
MAP costs less than MAF and you see a lot of engines going back to it.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

Dunno what the OPs vehicle uses.

Carb cleaner doesn't work anymore, it's all non flammable these days. Starting fluid however is still effective.
Bovine scat. I used carb cleaner on an old gasoline tractor this weekend to get it started after sitting all winter.

Bovine scat. I used carb cleaner on an old gasoline tractor this weekend to get it started after sitting all winter.

If propane is used as the aerosol propellant then it'll work.

You can close this thread.

I found the solution to all of my car problems.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DoneWithShittyCars.jpg
    DoneWithShittyCars.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 85
You can close this thread.

I found the solution to all of my car problems.

attachment.php

Damn dude. Overreact much? :)

(Or just a really nice signing bonus?)

I got rear ended in the 2000 Subaru the other night. Repair estimate: $880. What a tank.

For the moment, the muffler got slammed around enough it has a hole in it or got busted partially off the tailpipe so I have one of those cool "fart cars" the rice modders like so much. LOL!

You gotta be spittin' me. You took and bought two new Mitsus?

Something suggests to me that Bryan's new job has been selected.

Took hers in today after I had replaced just about everything and they said it was the head gasket.

They quoted $2500 to fix it.

I decided screw it. Trade it in.
While there, I asked if I buy two and they can get me one that matches my current payment and they did.

Traded in two 120k mile cars for 2 <20 mile cars w/ warranties.

Just easier to not have to worry about this stuff.
Taking too many hours out of my life constantly repairing them.

Something suggests to me that Bryan's new job has been selected.

Oh yes, I Start Tuesday. I should have changed jobs years ago.
I am plane shopping now ;)

Edit: I am building up my plane shopping fund I should say.
That is still after I am settled in and know there are no surprises at the new gig.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I Start Tuesday. I should have changed jobs years ago.
I am plane shopping now ;)

You can have the 'kota fer about what you paid for the cars....there might be just a touch more maintenance though...

So B took my car to get assessed, and they came back and said head gasket and $2500 repair. Time to pull the plug. It's barely worth that.

So he tells me to go test-drive this afternoon. He's had an Outlander for several years, and we like it. Plus the safety ratings are excellent, and it comes with a great warranty. And the price is right.

So I go. And drive. And pick one out. Then I send him up to do the haggling.

AND THEN SOMEHOW WE END UP WITH TWO NEW OUTLANDERS!!! :yikes: :hairraise:

I am actually really glad. I had 121k on my car, he was at 118k. He was having issues too. We didn't have to trade his in today, but we probably would have in a year or so. And they gave us a really, really good deal buying both. And they gave me $3000 for my car, which we think great.

And now maybe that our cars both have 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranties, Bryan won't have to spend so much time posting on PoA. Right? Right?!? :lol:

You can have the 'kota fer about what you paid for the cars....there might be just a touch more maintenance though...

She wants a 172.
I don't get much say since I can fly the cirrus

I looked at the MiEV but the backseat wont accommodate growing kids well.

Do you need two full family haulers? I'm thoroughly impressed with them especially at the price point. My buddy hasn't had any issues with his except adding some bubble wrap for insulation for St Louis winter performance. I drove the sucker, it hits a limiter at 80, but it doesn't take that long to hit it. Even in economy mode it has decent performance. He's had it since they first came out and it costs him 1/3 to operate what his Honda Insight did, and that sucker only got 50mpg. He commutes 60 miles a day on his overnight charge.

Do you need two full family haulers? I'm thoroughly impressed with them especially at the price point. My buddy hasn't had any issues with his except adding some bubble wrap for insulation for St Louis winter performance. I drove the sucker, it hits a limiter at 80, but it doesn't take that long to hit it. Even in economy mode it has decent performance. He's had it since they first came out and it costs him 1/3 to operate what his Honda Insight did, and that sucker only got 50mpg. He commutes 60 miles a day on his overnight charge.

You need kids. ;)

It is a crap shoot who is hauling them on a given day

Back