Captain Phil suffers a stroke

He got sick last year as well...and he smoked like a chimney...hope he gets better..his sons might be getting the Cornelia Marie alot sooner than later.

Too bad, When he threw that blood clot last year or the year before that almost got him. I wish him the best and hope he recovers.

Those aren't fun. Trust me.

I hope he recovers, too.

If it winds up in the lung ( pulmonary Embolism ) It can be fatal. I was on an ambulance run one night and the lady we were transporting had this and she was frantic. No oxygen and she was having a terrible time.

If it winds up in the lung ( pulmonary Embolism ) It can be fatal. I was on an ambulance run one night and the lady we were transporting had this and she was frantic. No oxygen and she was having a terrible time.
That is what happened to him year before last. He was at sea when it occurred.

UPDATE:

Phil Harris, known to fans of Discovery’s Deadliest Catch as captain of the crab fishing vessel Cornelia Maria, awoke Tuesday from the medically induced coma he was placed in following surgery for the stroke he suffered last Friday off-loading his boat in Alaska. “No one ever said Captain Phil Harris wasn’t tough,” his sons Josh and Jake say in a new statement released by the network. “Today, dad showed some good signs of improvement, squeezing our hands and even summoning his trademark Captain’s bluntness by telling the doctors and nurses, ‘Don’t f— up.’ We are encouraged but still very cautious.
http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/02/03/captain-phil-harris-stroke-recovering/

Get well cards can be sent to the following address, where they’ll be handled by a good friend of the captain and delivered to him at a later date. Another good friend has taken over relief skipper duties on the Cornelia Marie. Captain Phil Harris
PO Box 32466
Amarillo, TX 79120-2466

3 clots in my right lung 4 weeks after my prostatectomy. The ICU wouldn't give me the code to access the wireless network, so I had to wait until I got home to scare the he77 out of myself. One web site said that without treatment they are fatal 30% of the time, and even with treatment they are fatal 10% of the time. And I was doing a guy thing and trying to ignore the whole thing. My wife and dad finally convinced me to let them take me to the emergency room. 4 days of quality time in the ICU and they let me go home. 6 months on the rat poison (as my doctor calls Warfarin - it is a key ingredient) and no recurrence. I waited until that was all done before submitting the paperwork to get the SI for the cancer so I didn't have to mess with the additional hassle of an SI for the Warfarin. Told the FAA about it, anyway. They yawned as I was off the stuff by that time.

BTW, those things HURT.

4 days of quality time in the ICU and they let me go home. 6 months on the rat poison (as my doctor calls Warfarin - it is a key ingredient) and no recurrence.

At least now you know you are not a rat :D

Yep, pulmonary embolism kills, every day, all day.

I hople 'captain Phil' makes it through this and if he does, kicks the smoking habit. Doesn't help for either the lungs or the risk of stroke.

Ahem... why did an ambulance not have oxygen? Or am I misreading this?

...as for "can be fatal", most pulmonary embolisms ARE fatal, and are discovered post mortem. Its the little ones that give you a kick in the rump and a run for your money.

...as for "can be fatal", most pulmonary embolisms ARE fatal, and are discovered post mortem. Its the little ones that give you a kick in the rump and a run for your money.

Oh, thanks. I feel even better now. Mine must have been small, then.

Just for background/correctness sake: Pulmonary embolism is a reasonably common condition with a degree of severity that goes from 'unnoticed' to 'a bit short of breath' to 'some chest discomfort' and 'severe crushing chest-pain' to 'sudden death, he didn't know what hit him'.
Given that only a small percentage of deaths are investigated by autopsy, I don't think we can draw much of a conclusion from postmortem data these days. Also, the cases that tend to be autopsied are the sudden unexplained ones, in that subgroup there will be a higher proportion of pulmonary embolism deaths as it is one of the common causes for sudden death.

So: Don't smoke, don't sit on your bum all day, don't fly/drive 8hr legs without getting up, if you have calf pain see your doc asap, if you have chest-pain go to the ER, if you have surgery follow the thrombosis program provided by your surgeon/hospital.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017776437?Captain%20Phil%20Harris%20Of%20Discovery%27s

Anchorage, AK, United States (CNS) - Captain Phil Harris of Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch" has died on Tuesday. The F/V Cornelia Marie master, who helmed the ship for 18 years, passed away after spending a few weeks at the hospital.
cp.gif
Harris was 53.
Harris was hospitalized late Jan. after suffering a stroke while in port off-loading the vessel. He was found unconscious in a stateroom, and was taken to an Anchorage hospital. He underwent a 12-hour emergency surgery. He had shown signs of improvement after a few days until he ultimately lost his fight.
His sons and deckhands, Jake and Josh, said in a statement, "It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers."
Discovery also sent their condolence, saying, "Discovery mourns the loss of dear friend and colleague Captain Phil Harris. He was more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart. We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move."

Darn!

Here is the AP report with a little more background info. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gWu2Q1VfGem6SQE1C0GqIlmFa4owD9DP5EOG0
He was 7 when he started fishing. WOW!

From the FV Nrothweastern, a tribute.
http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/

Last edited:
The Deadliest Catch aired the "stroke" episode last night. Sadly, we know how it ends. At least both sons were with him.

The Deadliest Catch aired the "stroke" episode last night. Sadly, we know how it ends. At least both sons were with him.
I fell asleep and only woke up right as they were bringing him out of the lower deck area. I am hoping to catch a replay or streamed highlight.

BTW
A record 5.54 million people tuned into Tuesday’s “Blown Off Course” episode of Deadliest Catch, making it the most-watched episode in the show’s history. The episode was the first of several addressing the passing of Capt. Phil Harris, the beloved captain of the Cornelia Marie.
The episode finished the night as the No. 1 ad-supported cable telecast in almost every demographic, including men and women ages 18-49, and in viewers. In addition, the original episode of After the Catch was the No. 2 ranked ad-supported cable show among persons and men ages 18-49 and men 25-54.
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/06/23/deadliest-catch-captures-biggest-audience-ever/

That was a tough phone call, "We just lost dad"
I have made similar calls. I ain't easy.

The harder one was where I called my step-brother and sister who had 10 minutes earlier decided to go to lunch to tell them to rush back, dad had suddenly taken a turn for the worse.

I enjoy the television program. Boats and planes are a lot different. But there are some things that are shared. On a boat, you are on your own. In an airplane, you are committed to your flight.
On the show, the crew speak their minds freely. They are not constrained. It is good to feel that free.

I guess he meant to say "no oxygen was getting into the patient's bloodstream".

And that fact made her frantic.

Oxygen is mandatory in ALL ambulances (BLS / ALS).

Alon

Back