Cape May, NJ, stupid pilot tricks

I’ve seen dumb stuff before, but this guy is just going to walk away from his airplane like it’s nothing and believe nobody will find out his identity?

I’ve seen dumb stuff before, but this guy is just going to walk away from his airplane like it’s nothing and believe nobody will find out his identity?

it made sense when he was drunk.

Good grief..... are people really that scared of their own shadow..???

Yelling to get out of the water like it is more safer 100 feet over.??

Oh, New Jersey.... never mind.

Is the plane missing the cowling.??

Is the plane missing the cowling.??

That's not too unusual on a banner tow plane. Hour after hour at a high power setting, low speed, and frequently a high angle of attack requires unusual steps to keep the cylinders from coming from together.

In place of the cowling you may find a ... well ... chute to encourage the airflow to where it needs to be.

-Skip

That's not too unusual on a banner tow plane. Hour after hour at a high power setting, low speed, and frequently a high angle of attack requires unusual steps to keep the cylinders from coming from together.

In place of the cowling you may find a ... well ... chute to encourage the airflow to where it needs to be.

-Skip

Ok, sounds right, thanks.

My only experience in banner towing was 2 attempts to pick up the banner and the guy "instructing" me let the hook hit the ground both times, putting the hook through the rear window once and hooking the elevator once, so I went to look for something safer to do.

Looking at the picture, the little bitty wheels sunk in the sand pretty good. The pilots intention might not have been to do a full stop.

Most of those banner operations are pretty sketchy anyway. When I lived in NJ years ago I was offered a banner tow job. I told him I didn't have a commercial, only a private, he said, "I don't care, I've seen you fly." But come to think of it, my flying back then (a twentysomething with a beat up old T-Craft) probably wasn't all that different from the guy in the video, I just had sense enough not to try to land in the beach.

Good thing I didn't take the job, one of the tow planes crashed a week later, an engine out during a banner pickup.

-Skip

That's interesting. I would think that you'd want the cowling in place to direct the airflow most efficiently over the areas that need cooling (cylinder fins). The banner tow near here uses a Pawnee with cowling in place. I can see that low speed/high AOA/high power could be a flight regime where the normal cowling isn't optimized.

Do they use any sort of baffling to direct airflow properly when they fly without a cowl?

Tim

That's interesting. I would think that you'd want the cowling in place to direct the airflow most efficiently over the areas that need cooling (cylinder fins). The banner tow near here uses a Pawnee with cowling in place. I can see that low speed/high AOA/high power could be a flight regime where the normal cowling isn't optimized.

Do they use any sort of baffling to direct airflow properly when they fly without a cowl?

Tim

Hah! I knew this subject sounded familiar. Search on POA for "Banner Tow engine cooling" and you will find a thread I started back in 2007. Lots of good information there - posted by others! I was just asking the questions. Holy Necropost, Batman!

-Skip

Last edited:
Back