CAP Form 5 and the FAA Flight Review

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
So, looking at my logbook notes for my CAP Form 5 checkride, the CFI noted that this was a CAP standard Form 5 SEL. I know that also counts as a FR (or BFR for those of us clinging to the past), but it doesn't explicitly state that it is Flight Review even tho the CAP Form 5 satisfies the FAA reqs and beyond.

Do I need to go back and have him fix the logbook entry? I also have my FR noted in WINGS.

I don't think Form 5 ride counts as (B)FR. You can ask the Form 5 examiner to perform the additional work to make it FR legal, but Form 5 does not equate to FR.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/533/~/cap-form-5-process-does-not-satisfy-far-section-61.56:-flight-review

Ah, okay, so it CAN fulfill the BFR but the CFI has to make a note of it. We definitely did it with the intention of it satisfying by flight review as well. I'll need him to fix my logbook I guess. Thx.

I thought the Form 5 only counted for the flight portion of a flight review based on a Wings Phase. You still need to do some FAAST Wings ground courses and then submit the Form 5 portion to your CFI via the FAAST page.

You never have to do just FAAST courses - there are many other ways to satisfy the ground training requirement.

The issue I've heard expressed by some CAP check pilots is that 61.56(a) requires that the flight be a "training" flight where the pilot demonstrates proficiency. However a CAP Form 5 flight should be run as a checkride, not an instructional flight.

I think the question comes down the individual instructor - can a checkride to PTS standards be considered a training flight? I am of the opinion that it can be, but I'm pretty sure my opinion on this carries about zero weight.

I thought the Form 5 only counted for the flight portion of a flight review based on a Wings Phase. You still need to do some FAAST Wings ground courses and then submit the Form 5 portion to your CFI via the FAAST page.

A VFR Form 5 counts as 5 of the 6 activities for Basic WINGS. You have to take care of the remaining one -- and it's a CRM seminar. Go on the WINGS page and look up CAP activities. You'll find a bunch. Do all six "activities," (counting the actual Form 5 as five of them) and you can complete a phase and count it as a flight review.

An IFR Form 5 counts as all of a phase of Advanced WINGS.

A Form 91 also counts.

Your check pilot will have to validate your WINGS activity, like any other instructor. It's pretty simple, and as a CAP pilot, it's pretty silly not to use it. You DO get a lot of useful recurrent training as part of a Form 5.

Quite a lot of us CAP pilots take advantage of this, and accomplish a WINGS phase every year, sometimes even more often. I got WINGS phases in the last year for a VFR Form 5, instrument rating, Form 91, and IFR Form 5.

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds right. I did my FR via the Form 5 once several years ago when I was active in CAP. Dropped out for a few years for personal reasons but am starting to get involved again.

Back