Can't buy computer desks

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
I was looking to buy a desk to setup a new station for my flight simulator. But it seems desks are the latest casualty of covid. Our local walmart is all out, and Amazon only has a limited selection. The ones still available are more expensive than the 34" curved monitor I was going to buy.

The vacating of downtown offices in numerous cities, abandoned leases, bankrupt companies has the used office furniture places overflowing with whatever you might want. Where I live they can't even give the stuff away.

Supply chain interruptions are all over the place anytime there is even a hiccup in demand one way or the other for new items.

Alternative markets can be rife with deals. The challenge is finding the outlets.

Consider creating a desk to your personal preference.
Great way to go, if you've got the time, tools, and capability. Built this about ten years ago, out of oak plywood and a few boards. Lotsa storage, and it's got built-in Ethernet, USB, and power. It's mounted on wheels so it's easy to pull out if I have to access anything behind it.
desk2.jpg
Ron Wanttaja

Check the ReStore locations (Habitat for Humanity). I've scored some decent stuff from there for cheep.

At a local thrift shop, they even provide steep discounts for educators. Originally done for the school teachers, my Ground Instructor certificate worked. Got a bookcase that was marked $45.00 for less than $25 including sales tax.

but, if you want to build your own, you might find stock in short supply at places like Home Depot or Lowes.

Around me, a local plywood supply house has a good supply of plywood (you would have hoped, eh?)

The vacating of downtown offices in numerous cities, abandoned leases, bankrupt companies has the used office furniture places overflowing with whatever you might want. Where I live they can't even give the stuff away.

I’ll second that. If you’re in the market for desks, chairs or whatever, used office furniture stores are like a candy store. Recently shopped at one in Knoxville for a small desk, office chair and lateral file cabinet for our hangar home.

50270919112_a9e39dd724_z.jpg

My Jespersen desk that matches the rest of my home office collapsed about a month ago (the problem with having been moved too many times). It had five monitors on it and I only lost one.
The top was still in good condition, so I bought a Monoprice electric base for it. I can now use the desk sitting or standing (the latter being good if I want to have a good view of the runway).

My nephew works for FEMA. Whenever we talk I ask him about lumber prices. FEMA keeps tabs on that stuff. He says the prices have shot up as housing starts are through the roof (pun intended) and there is a shortage of plywood. They are scurrying to get supply to NOLO now.

Tried to find a basic wired router yesterday. Shelves of network gear at BestBuy and Target looked like the fresh chicken counter in April.

There are plenty of desks available online. The trick is to not pay attention to the prices.

My wife just replaced hers. I have no idea where she ordered it from and I know not to ask questions if I'm not prepared to hear the answer so never asked what it cost. It showed up on a tractor trailer and took two men and a small boy to wrestle the skid off the truck and onto the loader of our tractor for the trip up the driveway. I don't think she had any trouble finding them online. But I also don't think she was looking for bargains.

You are in Dayton?

Try Larricks. Also Mendelson's is closing down. They probably have something you could use.

There's also about 50 of them on Dayton Craigslist.

Last edited:
Similar story with desk chairs. In my study at home I have an old, old banker style chair that I like from a decor standpoint, plus it has some sentimental value as it came from the old church office where my mom worked many years ago. It was fine for occasional use, but now that I'm working from home for 10 hours every day it's a problem.

I need a chair with better ergonomics, especially adjustable arm rests, but the pickings are pretty slim at the local box stores. I'd like to find one that doesn't look like a space-age intrusion into a traditional-styled room.

I also need to find a better computer table that has room for dual monitors and a keyboard tray, but also doesn't clash with the room.

Here's where I'm spending my days:

upload_2020-8-26_10-51-46.png

Tried to find a basic wired router yesterday. Shelves of network gear at BestBuy and Target looked like the fresh chicken counter in April.

well, basic wired routers have been in short supply even before covid-19 panic hit. Seems everyone wants wifi rounters.

well, basic wired routers have been in short supply even before covid-19 panic hit. Seems everyone wants wifi rounters.
I just rewired my house with CAT 6e gigabit Ethernet off the back of a 1-gigibit cable modem to get off wifi for more reliable WFH set-up. Should have done this ages ago.

Some 2 drawer file cabinets to provide height, 5/4 ply cut to whatever size you want, some molding to pretty it up, some cheap off the shelf book cases to provide vertical stacking for stuff. I get wire mold from Amazon and various sizes of heavy duty surge protector power strips, usually 5 foot in length. All the electrical plugs into a big semi homemade UPS that will keep running for about 2 hours.
My work area changes so often a store bought desk is just a waste of time and money.

Last edited:
I managed to get one from Office Depot; some assembly required. :eek: I sold off my old one through Facebook Marketplace and it disappeared in an hour; as in they picked it up within 60 min of me posting it.

The WFH thing has hit the office equipment inventory hard. Fortunately I've always had a home set-up. While I typically work at the office, I have my personal computer, home office, printer, and more. Plus computers for everyone else in the family. Right after the COVID WFH crush started I read about laptops and other office stuff selling out as people were getting a set-up they didn't have before. Many companies and most government agencies didn't have WFH, so often people had desktops and no VPN. Lots of changes due to COVID. My employer has had a WFH policy for many years. Most of my teams work from home 3 days a week, some are totally remote. We were ready for this, at least the IT portion of the company was. ;)

While some parts of the economy have been crushed (movies, shows, sports, restaurants, and more), other parts are going gang-busters. The bike shop couldn't get parts for my bike. I found and ordered the parts, but it took some work and they aren't the same grade. Now it will take them over 2 weeks to do the work as they are back-logged. Stacks of new bike boxes in the shop that they are assembling for buyers. o_O Yeah, I'm not ready to toss down $3-4k (or more) for a new bike.

Ordered some Sonos speakers. The big soundbar is back ordered. Same issue for furniture. Some of it will arrive soon, just purchased this past weekend. Some of it will be here in late September or maybe early October. :(

Seen piles of desks offered on FB Marketplace and Craigslist lately. People moving.

All ugly old stuff but plenty functional.

The business furniture auction houses here are starting to get stuff from the closed businesses that aren’t coming back, or are never going back into commercial office spaces, too.

Future home of soon-to-be new build. Few 2x4s and two 11” wide planks.

upload_2020-8-28_19-59-47.jpeg

Back