CANOGA.1 DP from KVNY

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I am reviewing the King DVD for the KLN-94 and as example, Martha is using the above Departure Proc (RWY 16) to explain how to setup and fly a DP in the GPS.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but she explained that after crossing the VNY160-2.2DME turn heading 210 at or below 1700 (BTW, the current chart has a few changes, but its similar enough for my question to apply). I'm following sofar.

Then she says ATC Radar vectored clearance is to intercept the VNY 255 to SUANA. She says to scroll the GPS >D SUANA and that's what didn't make sense, you'd never intercept the radial, instead passing directly over the fix.

Did I misunderstand Martha or The procedure? Is that valid? Is it also valid to do D>IPIHO D>SUANA (albeit longer)

FWIW, IPIHO wasn't named at the time the DVD was made it wasn't on the gov't chart but was on Jepp as VNY04 (if that matters to anyone).
[edit: added link to proc]

Last edited:
Aha! after continuing more, she says to set the Nav1 OBS TO 255.

Is that the missing piece? Is there a shorter way to do it?

That does seem to the be the missing piece. I'm not very familiar with the KLN-94, but that's how you'd do it in other navigators. Would also require a push of the "OBS" button on many, for example the 430/530.

Now that I think about it, The CDI deflection would not be affected by the OBS setting if guidance from the nav select button is pressed to send directional steering info from the GPS to the CDI.

I think I am still confused and something is missing here.

Last edited:
If you have a legitimate copy of the DVD (i.e., one you purchased from them), why not call or write them and ask. They have a staff of instructors to answer such questions and is part of the deal when you buy stuff from them.

I don't know what exactly was on the video, but I would think I'd hit the leg in the flightplan and confirm Activate leg. That should get you on the section between IPIHO and SUANA.

If you have a legitimate copy of the DVD (i.e., one you purchased from them), why not call or write them and ask. They have a staff of instructors to answer such questions and is part of the deal when you buy stuff from them.

I don't know what exactly was on the video, but I would think I'd hit the leg in the flightplan and confirm Activate leg. That should get you on the section between IPIHO and SUANA.

Yes, I bought it legit. I did not know they offered additional support for their products.

If the KLN-94 works like other GPS units I've used, once you have the next waypoint in there (such as by pressing Direct to SUANA), then you would press the OBS button (which I see from a pic the KLN-94 does have) and turn the CDI to 255. This will tell the GPS that you want to fly that course to the waypoint, not a direct course. However, that may suspend auto-sequencing, so you may have to then press the OBS button again to resume auto-sequencing, but it should still guide you on that 255 course to SUANA.

The exact process should be spelled out in the manual, look for something like "intercepting a course to a fix".

Yes the KLN-94 defaults to LEG mode, which provides waypoint sequencing. But my question in this thread was about the process that Martha used and the fact that she (as I perceived it) was advocating going D> SUANA vice joining the 255 radial > SUANA. Is there a distinction either way? I don't know.

In the video, she didn't say to turn the GPSs OBS mode to 255, she used the external OBS to do so. The CDI wouldn't care what was at the 12 o'clock position of the OBS as it would provide the same steering with a >D entry.

If the clearance is to fly an assigned vector (like 300) to intercept the 255 radial to SUANA, then going direct to SUANA is clearly incorrect, as it does not comply with the clearance.

And, yes, turning the OBS on your CDI does nothing to the course indication if your GPS is in LEG mode.

To fly a course to a fix, on (most?) GPSes you have to first have that fix as the next in your flight plan. One easy way to do this is to tell the GPS to go direct to that fix. Once that is done (since you don't really want to go direct), you need to put the GPS into OBS mode and then turn the OBS on the CDI to 255 - that is then fed back to the GPS to tell it what course you want, thereby telling the GPS that you actually want to fly 255 to that fix, not go direct.

This is true on the Garmin products, if it is in fact different on the KLN-94 I apologize for the confusion.

If the clearance is to fly an assigned vector (like 300) to intercept the 255 radial to SUANA, then going direct to SUANA is clearly incorrect, as it does not comply with the clearance.

And, yes, turning the OBS on your CDI does nothing to the course indication if your GPS is in LEG mode.

To fly a course to a fix, on (most?) GPSes you have to first have that fix as the next in your flight plan. One easy way to do this is to tell the GPS to go direct to that fix. Once that is done (since you don't really want to go direct), you need to put the GPS into OBS mode and then turn the OBS on the CDI to 255 - that is then fed back to the GPS to tell it what course you want, thereby telling the GPS that you actually want to fly 255 to that fix, not go direct.

This is true on the Garmin products, if it is in fact different on the KLN-94 I apologize for the confusion.

In the example video, no vector was assigned. ATC only provided radar vectors after the turn to 210, following the procedure. That's what confused me.

I'll go back to that section again. Perhaps I missed something.

The KLN-94 also has a built-in OBS that is moveable. I'm not certain if it works the same as a VOR by selecting a fix and then using OBS to navigate a radial from that fix. It may be covered in the video, or I'll review the manual, which is at home on my iPad.

After watching that section again, Martha's make-believe ATC gave vector 320 to intercept the R-255. The next waypoint was SUANA as the scenario vector would put the airplane beyond the VNY04 (now known as IPIHO) intersection. This technique was used to allow the GPS to sequence to the next WPT, SUANA. The GPS was in the OBS mode because she had to manually insert the VNY VORTAC into the flight plan, which wasn't in the database stored procedure and she didn't want the GPS to sequence to the next waypoint.

It also shouldn't matter that the DP was called CANOGA.8 at the time the video was made. Is there a way of finding out when the procedure name was changed?

Interestingly, I also found this ASRS report of a PD on the CANOGA.8

Back