Canine Hearing Protection

Stewartb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
stewartb
A pirep. I've had Mutt Muffs for 10 years. One set when my dog was a pup and a lager pair shortly later as she grew. The second set has 9+ years on them and are beginning to show some wear on the velcro strap. Having read comments about 4 Paws I ordered a set and now have them in hand.

Well? I prefer the Mutt Muffs. The comments that 4 Paws are superior in hearing protection are unjustified. Mutt Muffs are built better. Mutt Muffs have a better chin strap. Mutt Muffs are easier to adjust to the head size. I can't find a single thing that's better with these 4 Paws muffs. If anyone needs a set on mediums I'll take 75% of the new price and I'll pay shipping. I'm buying another set of Mutt Muffs!

I know what you mean. I recently bought 4 paws based on what I read here and I am not happy with the difficulty in adjusting the fit to my dogs head. But I still need to see how my pup does with them when I finally take him up. So the final verdict is not in.

They are kind of "fiddly" in adjustment but I've had no issues once adjusted properly. The sound insulation and sealing cushion is definitely a grade above however. IMHO

Here are my well worn Mutt Muffs and the new 4 Paws. Mutt Muff ear cups are bigger. The foam is slightly lower density but Mutt Muff foam is thicker. The top adjustment straps are much easier to use with Mutt Muffs, as is the chin strap. The mini plastic clip on the 4 Paws catches my dog's fur and releases when she bumps the ear cups against the plane or cargo. I think both are better than nothing. Pick which you think suits you best.

Attachments

• IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3688.JPG
    IMG_3688.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3689.JPG
    IMG_3689.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 9
4Paws do come in different sizes.

Since you have both, please do a comparison for us. Go to a noisy environment, place each over your ears sequentially and report back which you believe attenuated the noise better. I'd be very interested to hear (no pun intended).

Done that. No recognizable difference. Both are just plastic earcups with foam. It isn't high tech and doesn't need to be.

Back