Cancer and Amputation...how do I get back in the left seat?

3Y3Flyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
3Y3Flyer
I am basic med, diagnosed with a rare cancer in my knee this summer. Self grounded and treated the cancer with radiation, then ultimately an above knee amputation to my right leg. My BM expired in Oct, along with my BFR and all currencies. I am instrument rated as well. I am cancer free now, so I believe I can start the BM renewal process again...I am looking at January before I get a new leg. I then need to learn to fly with it. Once I do that and obtain a SODA, is the process to becoming current again the same as a "rusty" pilot, or do I need to do something different regarding my IR and BFR?

Amputation and cancer are not disqualifying conditions for basic med. Take the AOPA or Mayo course, then if your doctor signs you off you can continue on basic med. No SODA is required. Then you have to go get current again. Fly enough with an instructor to satisfy yourself and the instructor, get your flight review signed off.

Wow, glad you beat cancer, congratulations. You kicked cancer's butt, this will probably be easier IMO. Hopefully @bbchien will check in.

Amputation and cancer are not disqualifying conditions for basic med. Take the AOPA or Mayo course, then if your doctor signs you off you can continue on basic med. No SODA is required. Then you have to go get current again. Fly enough with an instructor to satisfy yourself and the instructor, get your flight review signed off.
I like this news....I thought I would need that SODA for sure. So basically it's a local decision between my instructors and myself regarding competency and proficiency.

You…your doctor and CFI…sort of the way it should be in my opinion…good luck in your journey!

A SODA is associated with a medical certificate. You no longer hold one.

Get back in the plane, get some training and get used to flying with one leg. The process of completing the flight review will demonstrate that you can safely operate an aircraft with one leg. You'll want that evidence to share with the doctor when you take your comprehensive medical examination.

Good luck!

first off, congratulations of beating it. I would say take a bit of time and get use to your new leg when you get it, from what I have been told it does have a learning curve. there may be some things that you will have to work out once you discover what range of motion you have with it. one thing that comes to mind is, will you have the motion to work the brake pedals which take a rotation motion of the ankle. if there is will there is a way. once you feel confident with your adjusted motor skills get a instructor and get out there and fly.

Congrats on throwing that cancer in the dumpster where it belongs! Grrrrr! (Insert powerful snarl sound effect)

i went to my basicMed doctor a few months ago, towards the end of going through the whole cancer triumvirate (chemo, surgery, radiation). He treated it as a non-event. “Not disqualifying” he muttered a few times before signing the form. It was very easy.

It took a while before I felt enough “like myself” again after all those treatments. I don’t have any specific advice, just well wishes, and the assurance that the sky is waiting for you when you’re ready!

first off, congratulations of beating it. I would say take a bit of time and get use to your new leg when you get it, from what I have been told it does have a learning curve. there may be some things that you will have to work out once you discover what range of motion you have with it. one thing that comes to mind is, will you have the motion to work the brake pedals which take a rotation motion of the ankle. if there is will there is a way. once you feel confident with your adjusted motor skills get a instructor and get out there and fly.
I own a Cherokee 180, so as I understand the hand break is primary and the toe brakes are optional. So fortunately I think the breaking issue might be moot in the set up I have. If I ever switch planes, it will become a thing to overcome. Rivet an attachment point to the toe with a push rod to the knee and boom, your pushing on the brake with your hand.

Plenty of planes don't have toe brakes. The Navion for example comes with only a hand brake. Mine has an STC to add toe brakes to the pilot side but occasionally I fly one with the hand brake. The only time I really have problems is I find myself standing on the rudders during runup to keep the thing from creeping forward (the hand brake sometimes won't hold it on high power).

A good friend of mine has a bit of palsy on one side and is learning to fly Light Sport. His determination is amazing!

We have another gentleman that comes to our airport that has a prosthetic leg. He flies a paramotor and to see him run and walk you would never know he uses a prosthetic until you see him in shorts. He's another amazing guy that just has a great attitude and drive to succeed.

Congrats on moving ahead ...

Seems like an Ercoupe might be a good airplane for an amputee. Might be something to look into!

Congrats on beating cancer, that’s the most important thing here!

Congratulations on beating cancer. As a survivor myself (different one, no amputations to speak of) I know that it sucks. As others have noted, for Basic Med there is no impact on BM. Just you, your doctor and CFI are in the loop. Go for it and best of luck to you.

Back