Cancel your flight after departure?

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
Just wondering how often or if this ever happens.

Say, you planned an IFR flight 300 nm or so where it was VFR at departure and reported at destination. But, there is a weather in between say 100 to 200 nm wide and there is an icing airmet for the between area from say 8k to12K ft. MEA's are in the 12-13K range. Your plan is to climb up high (aircraft has 20K ceiling and non fiki) and go over the weather.

So, you depart IFR and climb high, but 50 to 75 miles out, you see the weather is much higher than you expected. Would you cancel IFR and return to the departure field. I am wondering how many IFR pilots have experienced such...

I haven't had to do such a thing, but yes I would cancel and return home VFR if I didn't have a way to get around / through the weather safely.

You can return home IFR if you want the option, just tell the controller the situation and advise him you would like to return to whatever airport you came from.

Remember you can divert to whatever airport or change your route to avoid weather under IFR at any time (as long as you have fuel/weather mins/alternate figured out). Just tell the controller what you want to do.

Yes,you have the choice of requesting a new destination,or a return to your starting point.You have to give the controller some warning.On my way back from OSH had to divert to South Bend ,due to weather not improving in Ohio as planned. Have also filed IFR in flight for deteriorating VFR weather .

You can cancel if you want but it's not not necessary. It takes the approach controller or his flight data guy all of 5 secs to amend your strip to your dept airport now as your destination. If you give weather as a reason they might not even send a report up on it. Even if they do, nothing will amount to it.

Just called up and asked to return to XXX when I lost my tachometer on an IFR flight, no issues

Just be prepared for ATC to ask why you are changing your plans -- post-9/11 security thing.

This weekend I didn't even bother to pick up my clearance back to VLL from FNT because the ceilings were too low. Instead, I asked to go to PTK, and I was cleared there without question or issue.

I don't really see that this situation is different, or that it would have been any different if I'd already picked up my clearance to VLL and realized enroute that I wouldn't be getting in there, and if I'd wanted back to FNT instead of PTK. Just let ATC know what you want to do with enough advance warning for them to accommodate you.

Just be prepared for ATC to ask why you are changing your plans -- post-9/11 security thing.
Yep, I figured it was a post-9/11 thing but didn't know. The question caught me by surprise the first time or two.

I have never had to return to base, although for some missions, my filed alternate is back at home and I've come close to going missed and heading back.

On the other hand, there have been several times when, on a lengthy trip, I had to divert to wait out WX (southern thunder, not ice); almost always, you get to meet great new people that way, and (of course) you stay safe.

Always, always, always have an alternate plan in mind- that way, you never feel trapped into pressing a bad hand.

I've canceled plenty of flights prior to going to the airport, as have we all.
I've canceled upon arriving at the airport. (wx)
I've canceled during/after preflight. (mx)
I've canceled after the engine was running. (wx)
I've canceled after taxiing to the runway. (wx)
I've canceled shortly after takeoff ("Contact departure..." "Nope, I'm comin' back.") (mx)

I've diverted due to weather, but generally not to the departure airport. No reason you can't, though - If the mission depends on you being there by a certain time, there may not be any point in going anywhere but home.

Yeah, and what a crock. The answer can be anything... And I've said "because I felt like it" when asked. I'm sure a terrorist is gonna tell them the truth, too. :rolleyes:

Yep, I figured it was a post-9/11 thing but didn't know. The question caught me by surprise the first time or two.

I changed my destination while solid IFR in smoke. ATC asked why? "reported smoke in the mountain airport has lowered visibility for the approach. It's only a fuel lunch stop, I'll take the valley airport with better visibility and less rocks."

My stock answer is passenger comfort. All ATC needs is an answer.

I've cancelled twice shortly after departure, and one was actually due to passenger comfort. The other was mechanical.

We don't even do reports on it, we're just required to ask. If it isn't an obvious red flag like a hijack we just tell the supervisor or controller in charge, tell the next controller down range (or amend your flight plan, though I'm a TRACON guy, our flight plan computer is circa 1977, Center has Windows 95 like technology I'm told) and that's the end of it.

If its mx related or (more commonly) bodily function related, let me know and you'll be number one.

If its mx related or (more commonly) bodily function related, let me know and you'll be number one.

So basically, "Arrow 3SA, you're number one for number two?"

I can't remember how many times I've changed IFR destinations or cancelled IFR all together but I don't remember once being asked why.

"Arrow 3SA, what is your reason for cancelling IFR?"

"Because I'm in VMC conditions now and I don't want the f***d up routing you guys gave me."

I can't remember how many times I've changed IFR destinations or cancelled IFR all together but I don't remember once being asked why.

"Arrow 3SA, what is your reason for cancelling IFR?"

"Because I'm in VMC conditions now and I don't want the f***d up routing you guys gave me."

Good Lord. I don't make the rules, I just follow them. I assume you would do the same at your day job if every last thing you did was recorded. I also don't personally select your routing, I have what I'm given and IF I can I'll get the f***d up routing out of it. If I can't, it probably has something to do with someone down range having a conflict or being too busy myself separating planes to get you something more direct. Your getting direct is less of a priority than separating airplanes.

I hope I'm reading you wrong, but I really hope you aren't assuming good SA due to TIS or similar.

Good Lord. I don't make the rules, I just follow them. I assume you would do the same at your day job if every last thing you did was recorded. I also don't personally select your routing, I have what I'm given and IF I can I'll get the f***d up routing out of it. If I can't, it probably has something to do with someone down range having a conflict or being too busy myself separating planes to get you something more direct. Your getting direct is less of a priority than separating airplanes.

I hope I'm reading you wrong, but I really hope you aren't assuming good SA due to TIS or similar.

Relax!! I'm not knocking you or ATC, I get the whole point of separation, terrain, established routes blah blah blah I've just had some notable times, particularly in the LA and San Diego area where it was just easier for me to cancel (probably for ATC too for that matter) so I could go more direct.

...other than "Someone just stuck a gun to my head and told me to." :D

I wonder what a reply of,

"I've got seventy five hundred reasons I could give you, but how about 'just because I want to',"

would cause. :eek:

Relax!! I'm not knocking you or ATC, I get the whole point of separation, terrain, established routes blah blah blah I've just had some notable times, particularly in the LA and San Diego area where it was just easier for me to cancel (probably for ATC too for that matter) so I could go more direct.

Sorry 'bout that. I'm on edge working for IOUs. I took you the wrong way big time.

Back