Canards on a 182??? Please enlighten me.

http://www.controller.com/listingsd...-SKYLANE/1978-CESSNA-182Q-SKYLANE/1305699.htm

So....Why would you put canards on a Cessna 182? Please enlighten me. Decrease stall speed? Doesn't seem to increase max gross. Wouldn't this also increase drag (both kinds)?

Why? :confused: :confused:

No, it reduces drag because it lessens the down force the tail has to produce. The Katmai is the single most impressive, capable GA plane I have ever flown. If I have 100' to land in, I'll live. The first landing I did in it I was stopped in well under 400' without aggressive braking. Also it completely and perfectly balances a 182, no more nose heavy crap. Low speeds, high angles of attack, high angles of bank, it deals with them all. I could not pull it into a stall at full power on a 260hp one.

The only thing I wish it had was float certification, not impossible, but an added expense.

Last edited:
Do they move along w/ elevator or are they fixed?

Ok. I want one now. Just a few extra nights working the street corner should do it. :)

Do they move along w/ elevator or are they fixed?

I know of one in Decatur that you can see and maybe get some right seat time in, Bryan. The canards plus the extra HP engine that go with the upgrade do a lot of nice things to the C182 performance.

Anyone here buys it Jesse might be able to ferry it for you. SD isn't too far from us.

Peterson only goes up to 182P :mad:

Well, the good thing is, if you want to go through the process of meeting the STC requirements, he'll let you use his fuel heating rig to do it. You need to do two test climbs without experiencing a problem and you're good to go. The thing is, if you run into a problem, the fix is often deemed too expensive and not worth it, so unless he can just do the test flights and pass with no mods, he doesn't pursue it. He offered me to use his rig to do one on my 310 if I wanted.

It must be a Wren conversion, had one in the hangar next to me for a few years - never saw him taxi full length. Great for use in the cattle pastures here, see a cow needing help, set down beside her.

It must be a Wren conversion, had one in the hangar next to me for a few years - never saw him taxi full length. Great for use in the cattle pastures here, see a cow needing help, set down beside her.

The Katmai is a later use of the Canard without the wing mods of the Wren.

if you can stand the baby $#@& green interior...good lord.

A few cans of Marhyde could make it whatever color cheap and easy, I never understand why people live with those colors from back then.:rofl:

You guys really think someone will pay 200k for it?

It's a cool plane, no doubt, but you're talking a NICE U206,A185F kind of money

I think it will sell close to that, I listed a higher time engine/airframe Peterson conversion without a 530 about year ago, it sold for pretty close to what their asking.

You guys really think someone will pay 200k for it?

It's a cool plane, no doubt, but you're talking a NICE U206,A185F kind of money

They used to go over 300k. The capability difference between a Katmai and 206 are so different they really don't market to the same people. The Katmai is more like a fat Supercub.

There used to be a 182 that would stop at Wichita Valley for fuel quite often back in the early 2000's that had both the canard and the STOL leading edge kit on the wings. I think it belonged to some rancher out near Seymour. Everybody joked that he could probably take off and land on our ramp.

I see lots of 206s flying rough country in Alaska. Never seen a Katmai up here. Don't expect that'll change much. Say it what you want but a 182 nose gear isn't up to what a 206 can do. There's no contest when you compare the doors for utility ops. I like 182s just fine but a frankenstein 182 isn't what real bush operators want.

There used to be a 182 that would stop at Wichita Valley for fuel quite often back in the early 2000's that had both the canard and the STOL leading edge kit on the wings. I think it belonged to some rancher out near Seymour. Everybody joked that he could probably take off and land on our ramp.

Hey... I can do that.... Wanna see?:D

Over $200K? Yikes!

I paid less than half that for our low time 180 that I would pit against it doing anything.

:dunno:

I see lots of 206s flying rough country in Alaska. Never seen a Katmai up here. Don't expect that'll change much. Say it what you want but a 182 nose gear isn't up to what a 206 can do. There's no contest when you compare the doors for utility ops. I like 182s just fine but a frankenstein 182 isn't what real bush operators want.

Yep, it's not really a bush operators plane, it's a private transport plane that will get you in and out of anywhere without resorting to a Supercub, and cruises 155kts on 14gph comfortably. These will get in and out far shorter than any 180 or 185. He really should STC the canard onto the 206 as well, I think it would sell better than the Katmai.

Yep, it's not really a bush operators plane, it's a private transport plane that will get you in and out of anywhere without resorting to a Supercub, and cruises 155kts on 14gph comfortably. These will get in and out far shorter than any 180 or 185. He really should STC the canard onto the 206 as well, I think it would sell better than the Katmai.

Agreed.... :yes:

Yep, it's not really a bush operators plane, it's a private transport plane that will get you in and out of anywhere without resorting to a Supercub, and cruises 155kts on 14gph comfortably. These will get in and out far shorter than any 180 or 185.
image.jpg

I wouldn't go as far as to compare it to a skywagon, especially one with tundras.

There are areas where a skywagon can go with some beefy ABWs where the 182 would just break due to the terrian.

That canard 182 is a cool plane, just a very small market for a 200k STOL 182 IMO
He really should STC the canard onto the 206 as well, I think it would sell better than the Katmai.
:yes:

Last edited:
image.jpg

I wouldn't go as far as to compare it to a skywagon, especially one with tundras.

There are areas where a skywagon can go with some beefy ABWs where the 182 would just break due to the terrian.

That canard 182 is a cool plane, just a very small market for a 200k STOL 182 IMO

If you get the chance, fly one. There is a big nosewheel mod for it, I'm not sure if there is any othere beef added. You're right, it is a limited market plane, but he stays pretty busy with conversions, busy enough I heard he was also farming them out.

If you get the chance, fly one. There is a big nosewheel mod for it, I'm not sure if there is any othere beef added. You're right, it is a limited market plane, but he stays pretty busy with conversions, busy enough I heard he was also farming them out.

I'd love to get a chance to fly one, but I've never even seen one in person though.

I'd love to get a chance to fly one, but I've never even seen one in person though.

One of the guys on the Red Board stopped down to let me fly his. Seriously, holy ****, if you leave the throttle in, you can't really **** up maneuvering with this plane because it will not fly into a stall. With 2 up it came right off the runway and just kept clawing, and my first landing in it had it stopped in <400'. The best thing is the weight on the yoke reduction, it is no longer a nose heavy plane in any flight regime.

That was with a 260, there is also a 300hp King Katmai conversion I'd be interested to fly.

Put some mods like WingX on a 185 and see what happens. It isn't fair to compare a Katmai to a stock 185, right? The Valdez air show 2013 heavy touring winner was a 185. Combined take-off and landing distance was 370'. That with a marked strip and spotters to watch the foul line and rollout. Not bad.

Buy what you need to do what you want. Sift through a few and settle on what works best.

Last edited:
Back