Canadian Flight

she started at the source of the Kazan which is right around the 4 corners of manitoba, saskatchewan, nunavut and the NW Territories. 600 miles in all.

i seem to remember some pictures of them with full bug net clothing.

Interesting side note: Before going on her 48 day trip, Leah actually weighed in around 220lbs. It was so cold where she was, combined with constant paddling, combined with running from ferocious bears, that she burned through her excess fat layer leaving the petitie 42lb version that she is today. :D

Lots of area, not so many folks. Kinda like Alaska.
Also like Alaska there are many settlements that are inaccessible or very inconvenient to get to by ground so they depend on airplanes quite a bit. I think Canada is where all the Beech 1900s went to live.

There's also a good number of DHC-8s up there still. Twin turboprop commuters that are pretty well rugged and can handle getting in and out of shorter strips are of high value when your strips are very small. Aircraft are of high value there for sure. The Aztec is a good fit there with its good short field capability (for a twin). The place where I'm heading next month is accessible by car, but it's a long trip for those who are driving. Flying we're going to be able to get there in a few hours. Next month I'm spending the weekend up in Chisasibi, I'm really looking forward to it.

Summer is the only time you could convince me to go there. I think heading up there in June there may still be snow. :)

Southern Ontario has had warm weather for weeks now. Here in Alberta we've had 30-degree days already (85°F) and the farmers are planting. today is rainy and cool.

I grew up in B.C. When we moved to Alberta in August '92 we left 100°F weather in BC and two days later in Alberta it snowed. A week later it did it again. By 1999 we had seen snow in every month of the year at some point; on a July morning in '99 it snowed for an hour or two. Alberta is one of those places where you might use both your furnace and your air conditioning in the same day. And one year, in December, I was flight instructing and below us the farmers were harvesting grain. The summer and fall had been late and the weather in December was beautiful early fall-type stuff.

Many Americans have misconceptions about Canada. It's a national joke here. I have encountered folks in the southern US who can't believe we live in ordinary houses and drive ordinary cars and don't have to hunt bears to eat. 80% of Canadians live within 160 miles of the Canada/US border, after all, and you have to go many hundreds of miles north of here to be really in the North where the population density is truly tiny. And even there the people live in ordinary houses and drive ordinary vehicles, though many will use snowmobiles around town in the winter. In the north in the summer, the days are very long, the temperatures can get rather hot, and people grow enormous vegetables in their gardens because of the sunlight and warmth.

Dan

Southern Ontario has had warm weather for weeks now. Here in Alberta we've had 30-degree days already (85°F) and the farmers are planting. today is rainy and cool.
Last week it was about 25F warmer when we took off in Calgary than it was when we landed in Denver where it was rain/snowing. That usually isn't the case, however. Denver and Calgary are definitely sister cities. They even have the same kind of weather with Calgary seeming like it is 5F or so cooler on average.

Dan, do you not consider Chisasibi to be many hundreds of miles north? It's further north from my house than Daytona Beach, FL is south from my house. Just curious.

I checked the weather, and was surprised to see how warm the temperatures are there. Right now it's 25F, but this weekend is forecasting for highs in the range of 60-70. That said, I hate the cold, and I can't imagine the winters to possibly be very warm. Pennsylvania is colder than my preference for winter, I'd rather fly south to the Carolinas and stay there.

Dan, do you not consider Chisasibi to be many hundreds of miles north? It's further north from my house than Daytona Beach, FL is south from my house. Just curious.

That's a pretty remote part of Quebec but it's not far north. Chisasibi is at 53°48'N; Edmonton, the capital city of Alberta and a city of a million people, is at 53°32'N. Prince George, BC is at 53°48'N, and Kamloops, BC, where I grew up, is at 50°42' and is the northern tip of the Sonora desert that extends all the way from Mexico. Sagebrush and small cacti grow there, along with Ponderosa pine and other desert vegetation.

The Canada/US border for the four western provinces is at 49°N. The northern boundary between the provinces and territories is at 60°N, a long ways from 53°N.

Dan

Good info, thanks Dan. I'll fully admit to not knowing much at all about Canadian geography.

Interesting side note: Before going on her 48 day trip, Leah actually weighed in around 220lbs. It was so cold where she was, combined with constant paddling, combined with running from ferocious bears, that she burned through her excess fat layer leaving the petitie 42lb version that she is today. :D

Well, that plus what the bugs ate...

Also like Alaska there are many settlements that are inaccessible or very inconvenient to get to by ground so they depend on airplanes quite a bit. I think Canada is where all the Beech 1900s went to live.

Not quite all. :D I'm riding one from OLM to HIO and back tomorrow.

According to this article, Canada is trying to extend itself even further north than it already is.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Arctic+Canada+Redrawing+lines/3063396/story.html

Canada has had a recognized boundary all the way to the North Pole since 1927. Now that the ice seems to be disappearing, and the fact that there appears to be considerable mineral wealth in the area, and that a Northwest shipping passage might actually open up, many other countries are conveniently revising history. The US has been arguing with Canada over some seafloor northeast of the Alaska/Yukon border for 40 years, for instance, since there's oil there.

Here's an excerpt from the article quoted earlier:

"What that map will look like in 10 or 20 years is anyone's guess. There are five coastal Arctic countries -- the United States, Russia, Canada, Norway and Denmark -- that are making bids to claim new territory beyond the 200 nautical miles. There are already clear signs that some of those claims, including those of Canada, Denmark and Russia, will overlap."

I fear it will likely be settled the way too many territorial disputes are settled: by force. Whoever can take it and hold it will control it.

Dan

Those Canadian flight briefers are very helpful and friendly. The whole country is friendly. Makes me want to move there.

I always liked Canada and have taken a special interest in it over the past few years since we come here so often (like now, eh). Today I spent a few hours in Edmonton and I thought about this thread. It was shirtsleeve weather there (in the 60s F).

Actually, it's an abreviation we use when talking to foreigners.

"A" is short for ****ole!:D

Back