Canadian Flight

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I'm flying to Canada next month for a Cloud Nine flight, although this one doesn't involve puppies so I don't have to deal with that aspect.

I've never flown into Canada. I remember NavCanada has the weather that I'll check, and my recollection is that I'll need to stop over the boarder at an airport with Canadian customs and clear myself and my passport, and then keep on going. On the return flight, I'll need to stop at US customs and do the same. Any other gotchas I need to remember or documentation they'll want to see? I'm planning on going IFR both ways.

I researched this some for Caribbean flight, but I seem to recall that Canada is easier, just don't remember the specifics and have never done it before.

Thanks!

Any other gotchas I need to remember or documentation they'll want to see? I'm planning on going IFR both ways.
Nowadays you need to do eAPIS in both directions. http://ntsb.gov/Publictn/2010/AAR1002.htm

You also need to call CANPASS at least two hours before your arrival time at 1-888-CANPASS and answer a bunch of questions. As far as documentation goes, you need a current passport. You also need a customs sticker for the airplane which you can either buy in advance or on entry (to the US).

The AOPA site has more detailed information on traveling to and from Canada.

http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/intl/canada/

Thank you Mari, that answers what I need to know. :)

I already have the customs sticker so I'm good to go there.

IFR or VFR?

IFR - not much different. A terminal approach control is known on the radio as "XXXX terminal", not "XXXX approach." I've noticed when listening that they require full readbacks on IFR clearances. Traffic patterns are "circuits." Add the "N" to your N# when talking on the radio.

VFR? There are some nuances. Required to file VFR, stay below 12500 without a clearance, No VFR over the top for the most part. When VFR, you will have a special relationship with 126.7 if you are going any distance, it is as ubiquitous as 122.9 in the US, except that is is sort of a CTAF, emergency and FSS frequency combined.

Standard traffic circuit entries are here.

Also in Canada your first landing must be at an AOE, but not necessarily the first AOE, unlike in the USA. If you are going some distance in and don't want to land twice, and your destination is an airport of entry, you are good to go.

Where are you going?

Edit: Ah, I see you are planning IFR.

Last edited:
And if you are at an airport where they do what we call "position and hold" it will be "line up and wait". Canada has gotten with the ICAO program in the last few years even though we are lagging.

Also, if you are going to Quebec or even Ottawa expect to hear some French on the frequency.

Once you see how nice and easy that Canpass works you will hate having to deal with US Customs. Its a really easy system to use up there. I have yet to encounter an unpleasant Canadian inspector. Not the same can be said for clearing to come back to my own country.

Also remember you are only permitted to bring back 75 gallons of maple syrup into the US but you can bring two 55 gallon drums of any Canadian beer that is still manufacured in Canada.

Also remember you are only permitted to bring back 75 gallons of maple syrup into the US but you can bring two 55 gallon drums of any Canadian beer that is still manufacured in Canada.
Imperial or US gallons?

Ahhh.. Are you picking up the Crown shipment for 6Y9 early this year, or are they sending enough that it will require multiple trips?

I have no doubt that the Crown requirements for 6Y9 this year will require multiple Aztecs for support. :)

I didn't think you had to stop at the first AOE in the US if you were coming from Canada, you can keep going to someplace convenient.

I didn't think you had to stop at the first AOE in the US if you were coming from Canada, you can keep going to someplace convenient.
That is true. You don't need to stop at the first AOE.

Once you see how nice and easy that Canpass works you will hate having to deal with US Customs. Its a really easy system to use up there. I have yet to encounter an unpleasant Canadian inspector. Not the same can be said for clearing to come back to my own country.
You can even get pre-approved (for a fee) for the CANPASS Private Aircraft program. Everyone on board must have done this. See http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/privateair-eng.html

Benefits:

• It can land at any airport of entry (AOE) in Canada;
  • It can land at an AOE any time the airport is open for landing, regardless of the hours of business of the local CBSA office;
  • It can land at a CANPASS-only airport, which may be nearer to your destination;
  • It receives expedited clearance; and
  • It can proceed to the final destination if there is no CBSA officer waiting for the aircraft by the reported time of arrival, without the pilot having to make a second call to the CBSA after landing.
Leslie and I did this when we were planning to head up to Alaska, but never took the trip. The membership is valid for 5 years, though.

Also, when you make a position report, you tell them you are "x miles back"

Canpass is simple. Depending where you fly, you're only contact will be a phone call, you check in when you're on the ground, they say "Welcome to Canada, eh" and you're done. No jackbooted thugs. No dogs. No fingerprints. No pictures. No retinal scans. Just a simple, "Welcome to Canada, eh." It's really nice.

Coming back is the fun stuff. Park in the white box. Dunno what to do if the white boxes are full. Don't even think about leaving your plane 'till the friendly jackbooted thug comes out with his radiation detector (seriously). Once they see you're not wearing a turban you will be allowed to walk into the office, and stand behind the white line, and do the shuck and jive.

Yeah. Good times, US Customs & Immigration. Makes you long for Canadian citizenship.

Trip is coming up. On Friday I'm flying into Montreal, and then continuing on up to Chibougamau in the middle of nowhere.

I'm planning on having IFR flight plans on file. I know how to pick those up here in the states at untowered fields - what phone number do I call for picking them up in Canada, and can I pick them up in the air as easily?

I'm very excited about the upcoming trip. Should be a ton of fun!

Ted, I wrote this a few years ago, i.e. before Eapis. I have to take the time to update it but it still has some useful info.

Attachments

• Before You Go.doc
    52 KB · Views: 10
Engine is back together and test flown alright? I thought you were in Boston this week? Sounds like a good trip, hope everything runs smoothly for you in the air and on the ground with customs.

Well grr... I would like to stop at Syracuse instead of Watertown for my port of entry (I know the airport and the people, even though not the customs people), but my understanding is you need to stop at the first airport of entry which is... Watertown. Syracuse is another 50 nm miles or so down. Oh well.

Looks like everything's coming together for the flight, and I've found the info I'm looking for. I'll be taking pictures, it looks like it should be a beautiful flight. I'm excited!

Rob: I am in Boston this week, leaving here tomorrow night or Thursday morning. Flight to Canada and back on Friday before heading to Wings. Please tell whoever picks me up from LOM to have a margarita ready. :D

Last edited:
Well grr... I would like to stop at Syracuse instead of Watertown for my port of entry (I know the airport and the people, even though not the customs people), but my understanding is you need to stop at the first airport of entry which is... Watertown. Syracuse is another 50 nm miles or so down. Oh well.

Looks like everything's coming together for the flight, and I've found the info I'm looking for. I'll be taking pictures, it looks like it should be a beautiful flight. I'm excited!

Rob: I am in Boston this week, leaving here tomorrow night or Thursday morning. Flight to Canada and back on Friday before heading to Wings. Please tell whoever picks me up from LOM to have a margarita ready. :D

I didn't think the "first port of entry" applied to flights in from Canada...

Ted I saw where you are going I don't think that Canada Knows that where you are going is even part of Canada!:rofl:

Are you trying for a spot as a rampie on Ice Pilots YT?

I didn't think the "first port of entry" applied to flights in from Canada...
It doesn't. We always fly all the way to KAPA from Canada which is definitely not the first port of entry. The first port of entry rule is if you are entering the country from the south unless you are able to get an overflight permit.

There's usually a kiosk with computer and phone link to the Canadian equivalent of the FSS at every (or most every) airport. Drawback is you have to be registered with CAA to use it, so I would look into that before you leave. You can get wx briefings, clearances, the works. Neat little system.

I'm planning on having IFR flight plans on file. I know how to pick those up here in the states at untowered fields - what phone number do I call for picking them up in Canada, and can I pick them up in the air as easily?
FSS in Canada is 1-866-WXBRIEF. I don't know about picking up flight plans in the air since I have never done it but I know that in Canada you are supposed to be on an IFR or VFR flight plan or list an contact who knows your route.

Here is the link to NavCanada's main weather site.

http://www.flightplanning.navcanada...nconnu&Page=forecast-observation&TypeDoc=html

You can file a flight plan from the US to Canada or Canada to the US using Fltplan.com. However, Fltplan.com will not file flight plans between Canadian destinations so I use DUATS ICAO flight plan feature.

Hope you have a great trip!

The first port of entry rule is if you are entering the country from the south unless you are able to get an overflight permit.
Ummm... so then if you take off from Windsor, Ontario for Michigan you have to land at... DET? :dunno:

(Yes, I'm being a wise-a$$. Sorry. Ted, have a good flight!:smile:)

Well, I keep on reading different things about it. I already gave the Watertown, NY guys a call so I figure I'll just go ahead and do that. Mari, thanks for the heads up on FltPlan.com and Canadian flight plans.

Well, as evidenced by the new provinces visited map on my signature, I made it to Canada and back. It was a great trip! While I don't pretend to know enough to do a real guide, I found that the process was very simple (just as everyone had said) and not a big deal at all. Here are some of the highlights.

You'll want to order your Canadian charts, which you can easily find from the standard sources. The IFR charts are updated regularly, but the VFR charts are only updated when there's a reason to. So if nothing changes (and there's not much to change up there), then they keep with the same chart. The IFR charts don't have all the airports on them (including some with instrument approaches). The charts do have a few minor differences vs. NACO charts, so it is a good idea to look over everything carefully and be familiar with them, especially if you're going into a busy airport on a bad weather day. I flew into Montreal (CYUL) and broke out on the ILS at 600 AGL, so it was pretty busy that day.

You'll also want to make sure you get your customs sticker. I got mine in 2 weeks from the time I ordered it, and that's pretty easy. There are a few other requirements that you should have, like a notarized letter authorizing use of the aircraft in Canada (assuming you're not the registered owner - in my case the plane is registered to an LLC that I own), a copy of your insurance policy showing that the plane is insured for flight in Canada, and some other papers I carried with me. I had them along just to make sure, but nobody asked for them.

Survival equipment requirements are interesting. If you're over "wilderness areas", you're required to carry survival equipment with a few exceptions. One of them is if you're in a multi-engine aircraft. I'd add the personal stipulation of a multi-engine aircraft that you know will be able to continue to an airport without your second engine. Where I flew, the terrain was low enough that this wasn't a problem in my plane, but depending on what you fly and your loading this may be something to consider. Keep in mind that your nearest airport may be more than 50 miles away. There's a whole lot of nothing out there, more than I've ever seen here.

The controllers in Quebec are bilingual and very good at it, they'll speak both French and English on the radio. I didn't hear them screw up once, they are sharp folks. They're also very friendly. The folks in Canada treated me very well all around, I was impressed and it made me want to return.

CANPass is a dream. Call up a few hours before coming, tell them what I'm doing, call them on the ground in Montreal and get told to enjoy my trip. No headaches, no hassles. You have to file with eAPIS both departing and returning to the USA, but this is not a big deal, although it's a bit more confusing than CANPass. CANPass needs to know when you arrive, but not when you leave, unlike the US.

Once you're in Canada, it's quite the experience. Get north of the controlled airspace and you're in the middle of nowhere. What's more, I was on an IFR flight plan and got told "Radar services terminated." After talking back and forth a bit I was able to keep talking to the controller for another 15 miles or so on flight following, and then had nobody to talk to at all until 70 nm south of Chibougamau. It's uncontrolled airspace. No separation services (there's nobody to separate you from), pick the altitude you want to fly at, and no controller to talk to. It's very different to anyone who's used to east coast American IFR flight. Got back on flight following about 70 nm south of Chibougamau, and then talked to the local radio when I got closer. Reported a bunch of things to them, then they closed my flight plan.

Speaking of flight plans, I filed my flight plans into and out of Canada on fltplan.com. I filed my Canadian flight plan with Canada's 1-866-WX-BRIEF, which was very friendly. They were very patient with me being an ignorant American. I ended up being a bit early, but my flight plan heading home apparently never popped up in the system. Quebec radio was happy to file a new flight plan for me (Quebec radio was different than the other radio I talked to for canceling and starting my flight plan). Next time I'll file my outbound Canadian flight plan with Canada.

I called Watertown, NY two hours ahead of schedule I was supposed to to let them know I would be there. I landed right on time, and they showed up 25 minutes late. It's hard to say what the exact problem was here. I was ahead of my eAPIS schedule by about 25 minutes (which I'd filed the day before, I didn't expect as quick of a turnaround as I had), so they may have followed that and ignored my phone call. So that meant I had to sit in my plane for 25 minutes while they drove to get to the airport. I think next time I'll try a different airport just to see if it goes faster. Anyway, they were pretty quick about their inspection. Walked around my plane with the radiation detector, and then asked me a few questions, looked at my passport, then said "Well, you're good with us." I hopped back in the plane and was on my way.

The whole process was very easy, certainly easier than I expected. While it does have a few extra steps vs. flight in America, those extra steps aren't very difficult. Canada is a beautiful place. It's a very different flying experience than America (at least the parts I've flown), but in a very cool, pioneering sort of way. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'll be making some more trips and am very much looking forward to it.

I've attached three pictures. One was Chibougamau airport where I landed (actually a very nice strip - next month where I'm going is "unimproved" and further north), one was a general view of all the lakes flying over that area, and then the last one is my GPS screen on 80 miles after taking off from Chibougamau. Lots and lots of nothing.

Attachments

• DSC_0841.JPG
    DSC_0841.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0842.JPG
    DSC_0842.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0843.JPG
    DSC_0843.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
And part two. Yesterday I flew back to retreive the veterinarians from Chibougamau. The whole trip went off without a hitch. Going up north I flew into Ottawa, adding a new province to the map. Plus it was directly on my route from Williamsport to Chibougamau. Landed in Chibougamau right on time, passengers were waiting. Loaded up, headed south, dropped them off. Had a nice chat with the folks at the Montreal FBO, and then over to Syracuse for US customs. The people were on time, friendly, and got everything done quickly. I wasn't on the ground more than 10 minutes most. Engines fired back up and home to Williamsport. Whole trip went off within 10 minutes of schedule start to finish.

Canadian flight is lots of fun, and customs really isn't a problem at all.

And part two. Yesterday I flew back to retreive the veterinarians from Chibougamau. The whole trip went off without a hitch. Going up north I flew into Ottawa, adding a new province to the map. Plus it was directly on my route from Williamsport to Chibougamau. Landed in Chibougamau right on time, passengers were waiting. Loaded up, headed south, dropped them off. Had a nice chat with the folks at the Montreal FBO, and then over to Syracuse for US customs. The people were on time, friendly, and got everything done quickly. I wasn't on the ground more than 10 minutes most. Engines fired back up and home to Williamsport. Whole trip went off within 10 minutes of schedule start to finish.

Canadian flight is lots of fun, and customs really isn't a problem at all.

Holy cow man,.. you are way up there! (Google Map Location)

BTW, Ted, do you have a 406? I understand from a recent AirNav article that they're liking to resurrect the requirement for an installed 406 at the behest of he Canadian forces.

BTW, Ted, do you have a 406? I understand from a recent AirNav article that they're liking to resurrect the requirement for an installed 406 at the behest of he Canadian forces.

Implementation to be delayed three years for private aircraft.

Rob: Plug in Chisasibi (CSU2 airport identifier) and see where I'm going next month!

Grant: Right now the plane only has a 121.5 ELT. I'm planning on adding a 406 to the plane. I need to figure out which one I want. That will likely be a this summer project, along with a couple other things I'd like done.

Implementation to be delayed three years for private aircraft.
Hopefully. From the AvWeb article by Russ Niles on Saturday (not AirNav;sorry, typo):
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/406ELT_Canada_Required_202558-1.html said:
There will likely be a three-year grace period before Canadian private aircraft have to be in compliance, but it's not clear when the regulation will be applied to aircraft flying into Canada from other countries.

Rob: Plug in Chisasibi (CSU2 airport identifier) and see where I'm going next month!

Holy buckets, Batman! Right across the Hudson Bay from 'Polar Bear Provincial Park'!?!? Sounds pretty 'north' to me. ;)

As much as I hate cold weather (especially in the summer)...... that would be an awesome trip to be shotgun on - I even have the shotgun! ;)

Summer is the only time you could convince me to go there. I think heading up there in June there may still be snow. :)

Summer is the only time you could convince me to go there. I think heading up there in June there may still be snow. :)

My in-laws are DRIVING to Alaska right now. They left Iowa on Saturday and I think they were somewhere in the Yukon yesterday. I think their nightly calls only consist of letting everyone know where they are bedding down for the night - no 'stories' have been shared yet.

I don't really like driving anymore, but that would be a fun trip to have under one's belt - as long as it wasn't with my in-laws. ;)

We're considering spending Thanksgiving in Alaska, but we'll definitely be flying.

its amazing how far north you can go into canada and still be nowhere near the northern boundary.

After Leah graduated high school she did a 48 day canoe trip in northern canada on the Kazan River, ending up at Baker Lake in Nunavut. NW corner of Hudson Bay. Pretty far north but according to Wikipedia is about at the Geographical Center of the country. She was portaging over ice in July and August.

After Leah graduated high school she did a 48 day canoe trip in northern canada on the Kazan River, ending up at Baker Lake in Nunavut. NW corner of Hudson Bay. Pretty far north but according to Wikipedia is about at the Geographical Center of the country. She was portaging over ice in July and August.

Wow! That's some canoe trip! That's Black Fly he77 right there...

Wow! That's some canoe trip! That's Black Fly he77 right there...

she started at the source of the Kazan which is right around the 4 corners of manitoba, saskatchewan, nunavut and the NW Territories. 600 miles in all.

i seem to remember some pictures of them with full bug net clothing.

My SO spent time in Newfoundland in her youth. Saw icebergs. Bugguns. Keep in mind that 90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the US. And half the country is arctic, or something like that. Lots of area, not so many folks. Kinda like Alaska.

she started at the source of the Kazan which is right around the 4 corners of manitoba, saskatchewan, nunavut and the NW Territories. 600 miles in all.

i seem to remember some pictures of them with full bug net clothing.

Yeah -- I've spent time in the Laurentians fishing, and in the Adirondacks in late May and if you're not covered, you're being eaten.

Black flies make mosquitoes seem downright pleasant.

No fun. :mad:

Back