Canada VFR Flight Itinerary

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
For our Canadian pilots. Is there a widely used templates for a VFR flight itinerary?

For those who don't know, Canada rules require either a filed flight plan or an itinerary left with a responsible person for VFR flights. If leaving one with an FBO, I can see just using a regular flight plan form but wonder what people send to Uncle Ed. (Heck, half of us probably can't read an ICAO flight plan form :D)

I can’t speak for Canada, but when we used to do it under Part 135 I think our manual said we left the same information that’s on the flight plan with the company.

I usually file a regular flight plan with NavCanada for cross country flights. For local sightseeing flights (which I rarely do, not many sights to see where I live lol) I simply text Uncle Ed that I’m taking off, intend to fly to XYZ and return to home base by something o’clock. When I land, I send a text saying “landed”. If you file an itinerary with someone semi-official like an FBO or airport manager, then simply file a real flight plan.

So the “Gone Flyin’” bumper sticker isn’t enough?

I believe the purpose is primary for pilots in the bush where there is no FBO or telephone.

You can just text a family member or a friend and say: We are flying from X to Y today. Plan to land by XYZ. If you don't hear from us by XYZ + 2 hrs, try to reach us. If that fails, call NavCanada and report us missing. NXYZ123.

You just have to tell someone where you are going and from where. Time it will take you. I use my Dad, who has a CPL. I dont ever wander off to far these days but if you are going far, its better to file a flight plane. The air force will go looking for you fairly quickly, where an interary they wait 24 hours I think.

For our Canadian pilots. Is there a widely used templates for a VFR flight itinerary?

For those who don't know, Canada rules require either a filed flight plan or an itinerary left with a responsible person for VFR flights. If leaving one with an FBO, I can see just using a regular flight plan form but wonder what people send to Uncle Ed. (Heck, half of us probably can't read an ICAO flight plan form :D)
Of course, the easiest way is to call Nav Canada & file a flight plan, takes 10 minutes. Canada requires it for all VFR flights > 25 nm. But you mean if you don't have access to a phone, like you're in a remote area? I always wondered about that, learned something new today, so I'm glad you asked.

On my trip through Canada flying to Alaska I just used Nav Canada.

Canada requires it for all VFR flights > 25 nm.
Actually, it doesn't. For VFR flights > 25 NM,
Canada rules require either a filed flight plan or an itinerary left with a responsible person
(Canada Air Regulations §602.70 and following). It's the reason I asked the question.

The reason for the question was actually the US. Here, we tend to discount the value of VFR flight plans. That's fine but since flight following is not foolproof, it would be wise for us to leave information with "a responsible person." The Canadian version of the ICAO flight plan form is intended for use for either purpose but I was wondering whether there was some other form in use (with instructions who to call other than Ghost Busters) that could be a good sample for a template here.

Back