Canada Day Trip Sectional Question (Thunder Bay CYQT)

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
All this Canada talk lately, figure we're close so time to take quick trip across the border and figure out how it all works.

Outbound: KGYL -> KTWM (Fuel) -> CYQT (Thunder Bay, Customs)
Return: CYQT -> KDLH (Duluth, CBP, Fuel) -> KGYL

Then I started looking at sectional and seeing stuff I don't normally see up here. On the way up there is one MOA (Snoopy) which starts at 6000msl so no problem there. But the sectional on the Canadian side has some markings I don't recall or have never seen. See image. Curious what all the items in Green Circles mean if anyone can help? And that weird marking North East of the city - no clue?

We already have the sticker and eAPSIS login stuff. Same goes for CPB contact numbers for (return) and obvious 1888CANPASS for the way up. Both pilots are 3rd class medical and we have ADSB-OUT. Will file VFR flight plan and FF on the way up. Obviously we'll file VFR flight plan on the way back. As well as the eAPSIS forms and timing of everything. We have proof of insurance, registrations, checking plane for radio license thingy, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations for restaurants or places to see?

Topping off at KTWM gives us enough fuel and reserves to not need fuel in Canadia at just shy of $10/gal. And maybe enough to get back to our $5.80/gal
ThunderBaySectional.png

The blue altitudes indicate where Class E begins, when it's not either the standard fuzzy magenta (700) or fuzzy blue (1200).
The borders of the Class E regions are the thick blue lines that look like razor wire. There's an altitude inside each one.

The other thing means.... "Caution: stepladder factory"?

Thanks Kath!

I love the stepladder factory LOL! I have been looking on google satellite view and figured it would be something Hydro power or mining related but don't see anything. So stepladder factory it is!

or
"Caution: golf balls from very very large driving range"?

In seriousness... staring closely at that thing, I'm guessing it is a very long and narrow Restricted or Prohibited area. The lines are the "inner tick marks" that are just so close together they look stepladdery.

I've always wanted to go to Isle Royale. I know there's nowhere to land there, but if this were my flight, I'd fly over it and take pictures.

In seriousness... staring closely at that thing, I'm guessing it is a very long and narrow Restricted or Prohibited area. The lines are the "inner tick marks" that are just so close together they look stepladdery.

I've always wanted to go to Isle Royale. I know there's nowhere to land there, but if this were my flight, I'd fly over it and take pictures.

Isle Royale is awesome. Been wanting to go back. You can't land ON Isle Royal, but you can land AT it. Those asterisks are landing areas/seaplane bases.

CYD Thubderbay is a danger area. Very small, but its labeled.

Last edited:
That’s not the full VNC just your American sectional with bits of our side. It actually looks very different from the VNC.

Suggest you get your hands on the real VNC. If you really want to have all the info you also need to get the CFS, new stuff/changes that hasn't made it to the VNC goes to the CFS.

Are you also familiar with the GFA and the weather products used up here? Those are also quite important. And they use all sorts of abbreviations on those.

Here’s the Canadian version of just about the same area. I don’t see the step ladder factory on it

Attachments

• A2C9AA4D-0833-4552-BF7D-803307B75FEF.png
    A2C9AA4D-0833-4552-BF7D-803307B75FEF.png
    2 MB · Views: 18
Back