Can you plug aviation headsets into your stereo ?

Joegoersch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeGoersch
In flight it seems like sound comes out of one earpiece louder than the other. With standard aircraft headset jacks can you plug the headset jack (i.e. NOT the microphone jack) into the standard 1/4 in headphone output of a home stereo so that I can check my headsets in the comfort of my living room ?

Thanks.

The audio plug is the same, you can plug it straight in to things like amps and digital pianos. For a stereo you will probably need a fitting to accommodate the little plug, like on regular headsets. You can buy them on amazon for a few bucks.
Edit: just saw that your stereo has the 1/4” output. If so, that will work.

In flight it seems like sound comes out of one earpiece louder than the other. With standard aircraft headset jacks can you plug the headset jack (i.e. NOT the microphone jack) into the standard 1/4 in headphone output of a home stereo so that I can check my headsets in the comfort of my living room ?

Thanks.

Could be a hearing issue. Have you tried swapping which earpiece goes to which ear?

Could be a hearing issue. Have you tried swapping which earpiece goes to which ear?
What did you say? Please speak up !!!

No problem with other headsets. Will try swapping...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If your headset has a stereo/mono switch, experiment with it. Also, I've seen headsets with separate volume controls for each ear.

The headset will *probably* work with the stereo, though its volume level will likely be low (150 ohm speakers vs. 8 ohm). I know a guy who listens to his Ipod with an aviation headset.

Does the problem occur in multiple aircraft?

Ron Wanttaja

Yes, but I find the sound quality in my DCs aren't up to par with a decent pair of studio headphones. Maybe the Bose/Lightspeed ones are better for that...

Most aviation headsets have a mono plug, called a tip/sleeve or TS. Your home stereo will have a stereo jack, called tip/ring/sleeve or TRS. If the mono plug is inserted into the stereo jack you will hear only the left channel of your stereo but in both ears. This will make some music sound a bit weird (some instruments missing etc.) but voice will usually be OK. To do it right you need an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPP-419-Female-4-Inch-Adapter/dp/B001JYSMV0

This will add the left and right channels of your stereo and send this signal to both ears. It will still be mono, but it's the best you can do without a stereo headset.

Back