Can we do better than the "Red Board"?

Mike Schneider

Pre-Flight
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Very early this morning Henning posted this on the "Red Board" and the "Technical Corner" of this board:

"What are the chances of hitching a ride GA from LA to Ft. Lauderdale? Looks like I'm gonna come home in a week or so. and it got me wondering if it was possible to hitch hike GA rides across the country. That got me thinking that if GA had a Co-Op ride share network, it would be a lot more useful. Here in Oz a PP is allowed to collect Pro Rata of the costs from anyone riding with them. I think in the states it could be worked out by commonality of purpose. There's a lot of planes flying around everyday with just one person in them going all sorts of places."

I can't believe that I'm the only one thus far to offer him a "bona fide" ride. My offer is a free ride from De Funiak Springs, FL to Cross City, FL. Hopefully, the "Blue Board" can do better than that. With less than 15 pilots flying a similar distance to mine, we can get him from Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale. Who will fill in the next link? -- Mike

Last edited:
There are a number of boards starting to do this. I think pilotsharetheride.com or something simliar. Seems to me that no one posts often enough to get a ride.

I can give him a bona fide ride from the Houston, TX area to Panama City, FL.

If he's not afraid to ride in an "experimental" foreign built job.

Further if there's an airshow nearby.

Last edited:
Mike Schneider said:
My intent with this thread is getting Henning home, not the pros and cons of "share-a-ride.com" sites. Thanks. -- Mike

My Bad...

Bravo for coordinating, Mike. If I was in a position to help something like this, I would.

sigh.

one day!

Keep up the good work! I will cheer you all on.

terry

Mike Schneider said:
Areeda from the "red board" will fly Henning from Los Angeles to Phoenix. Steve will fly him from Houston to Panama City, FL. I will fly him from Panama City to Cross City, FL. We need some help filling in the missing links. Flights of one or two hours would help out a lot. This will be fun. Thanks. -- Mike

I'll fly him from Seattle to Spokane !

Best of luck, should be a fun project.

Depending on the specific date, I may be able to get him from somewhere in West Texas to Houston.

Not meaning to outbid anyone for a hop, I'd be willing to take a shorter leg between Houston and Panama City if they want to participate.

Houston and Panama City are just the extreme limits I can do without additional FAA paperwork (outside my "proficiency" area). I can always claim "training flight" with the likes of Mr. H. :p

I could do palm springs/vegas/phoenix to ABQ new mexico.

Michael said:
I could do palm springs/vegas/phoenix to ABQ new mexico.
I wouldn't have any trouble dropping him off in KHII instead of Phoenix.

Need to figure out when he gets to LA, to make sure I can do the first leg.

Joe

ps. "Areeda from the red board" sounds a bit odd to me;)

If he comes through KS, I could probably take him a little ways.

Just kind of depends for me, but if it gets planned out and he needs a ride in the great state of KS(lol) then I would try and work something out.

Best,

Mike Schneider said:
Areeda from the "red board" will fly Henning from Los Angeles to Phoenix. Steve will fly him from Houston to Panama City, FL. I will fly him from Panama City to Cross City, FL. We need some help filling in the missing links. Flights of one or two hours would help out a lot. This will be fun. Thanks. -- Mike

Whoa! Is that in the 28:rolleyes: ?

Areeda said:
I wouldn't have any trouble dropping him off in KHII instead of Phoenix.

Need to figure out when he gets to LA, to make sure I can do the first leg.

Joe

ps. "Areeda from the red board" sounds a bit odd to me;)

Ahhh yess, another day of Beaurocratic Limbo has come and gone. Tommorrow I will quest to add a new word to the Australian Vocabulary:
Manana (sorry, don't know how to put the squigglies up there). I'll either have permission to work or permission to leave by the end of the week. I appreciate y'all offering rides, this could be fun. Hey, are we talkin a ride in the 28 or a 172? Either way is fine, but the 28 would be cool.

Steve said:
Not meaning to outbid anyone for a hop, I'd be willing to take a shorter leg between Houston and Panama City if they want to participate.

Houston and Panama City are just the extreme limits I can do without additional FAA paperwork (outside my "proficiency" area). I can always claim "training flight" with the likes of Mr. H. :p

I have no problems with experimentals as long as you have no problems with me preflighting for a while.:D Personally, I'm a fan of experimentals.

I'm too far north of the proposed route to help, but it sounds like great fun!

Henning said:
Hey, are we talkin a ride in the 28 or a 172? Either way is fine, but the 28 would be cool.

It would either be the T28 or an SR22 depending on VFR/IFR conditions. On the other hand I could rent a 172:no: (no offense to 172 pilots it just slower than the other choices, and I spend alot of time teaching in them).

Joe

I'd welcome an extra set of eyes. Despite being "experimental" it's being maintained by a couple of A&P's who also maintain a Great Lakes, a Wittman Tailwind, and an RV-6, as well as Beech 18s and a DC-3, in addition to the normal gamut of spam cans.

If we're ready to talk details I suggest CXO (Conroe, TX) as the Houston area transfer point.

Henning said:
I have no problems with experimentals as long as you have no problems with me preflighting for a while.:D Personally, I'm a fan of experimentals.

I'm happy to help if timing can be worked out. Unfortunately, I just can't leave my businesses at just any time.

San Diego to Dallas in mid February could be possible. Dallas to Wisconsin on Feb 9th or 10th is doable (or Wisconsin back to Dallas that Sunday).

Dave

Is the specific time frame set yet? I might be able to do the OCF -> FXE (or wherever) leg. But only if Henning travels light! Ain't much baggage space in a Pitts.

Re: Henning

Mike Schneider said:
No specific time at present.

How about it, Henning, are you traveling light enough. A Pitts would be one heck of a ride!

Ken, if this works out, I could bring Henning to Jacksonville and save the little coordination problem in Ocala. What do you think? -- Mike
Mike, that would be much easier for me.

Mike Schneider said:
Joe, that looks like a good plan! Michael, any chance you could you bring Henning to some where south of ABQ along I-10 (say close to the AZ NM state line)? This would get Henning closer to Bill Suffa who is in San Antonio. -- Mike
Sure. I could do that.

Ok I wish I could help but I'm outside Philly sigh. Anyway I think you need the following:

1) A name for this mission ie operation LAFLA or operation Henning needs home.

2) One of you computer techno genius geeks needs to start a thread with a radar scope tracking Hennings progress arcoss the country

3) Every pilot involved needs to provide photos for the Thread.

P.S. Good work Mike

Mike Schneider said:
No specific time at present.

How about it, Henning, are you traveling light enough. A Pitts would be one heck of a ride!

Ken, if this works out, I could bring Henning to Jacksonville and save the little coordination problem in Ocala. What do you think? -- Mike

I'm about 210 with my duffle, can we keep CG with that?

Ken Ibold said:
Weight's fine for my ship. Space is probably the issue.

There's always UPS for all but critical items in the duffle.

Re: Bill Suffa

Mike Schneider said:
Bill, what would be a tentative place in West Texas that would be good for you? Thanks. -- Mike

Junction, Ozona, San Marcos, or Fort Stockton are probably best options.

Depending on the day, I could do HII (AZ) to west TX. As long as it is a weekend. Nick lives by ABQ, thats why i suggested HII to ABQ. Im guessing Nick hasnt found this thread yet.

I would love to fill in on the NM leg, it will just depend when. I am leaving for Minnesota on the 5th and be gone for 10 days. Not sure I could squeeze it in before and not sure I will have the strength after. Now where did I put that down jacket? Hmmmm
Don

Re: Status Report 2

Mike Schneider said:
Thanks to some great pilots, this is the preliminary routing:
Joe Areeda: Los Angeles to Lake Havasu, AZ
Michael Driggs: Lake Havasu to Ft. Stockton, TX
Bill Suffa: Ft. Stockton to Houston
Steve: Houston to Pensacola, FL
Sworrjr: Pensacola to Tallahassee
Mike S: Tallahassee to Jacksonville, FL
Ken Ibold: Jacksonville to Ft. Lauderdale
As said before, this is tentative.
We really need some more help. Some of these legs are really long. Would some more of you folks sign up under the "maybe column"? After this happens some folks are going to be saying: "I could have been a part of that".
Thanks to all.
I could talk to my brother in law who lives near San Antonio about flying from there (Bill's home base) to Houston letting Bill either shorten his leg or move it westward a bit. And I'd love to help out here, but it appears I'm just too far north to be of much help unless something forces a more northward route.

I'm yet anouther of the northern bound who want to see particapate at least by reading progress reports with pictures! What a great group this is!

Missa

Mike Schneider said:
Thanks, Lance. Maybe, he could join the "stand-by" list. If so, that would be great. We really need more like your brother-in-law to be there for contingency situations. We know it will not go as planned. Good idea. -- Mike
Do you have any proposed dates yet? My understanding is you're targeting mid Feb, is that correct?

Also this mission needs a name. Henning's Homeward Odyssey?

Last edited:
I am in the mid continent gap but have to stay free for my paying gigs so cant commit availability til a day or two before
If I pick him up he might have an overnighter forced on him with steak and beer

As the pilot of the first leg, I can offer some flexibility on the start date. He can stay in our guest room. My biggest problem is going to be clearing a day and scheduling a glider lesson in Phoenix. The farther in advance we can get the start date for this adventure the easier it will be.

For example, if he shows up today, it will be Sunday before I can go.

Henning, even if you can't give us a specific date, can you narrow it down? Can you estimate how much advance notice you will have?

Let me try to motivate you, for your first leg would you prefer T28 (1:02 flight time) to Havesu - Plan A :yes: or Greyhound bus (11:50 drive time) to Kingman - Plan Z (closest stop 46nm NE):no: ?

Joe

Last edited:
Mike Schneider said:
Thanks, Lance. Maybe, he could join the "stand-by" list. If so, that would be great. We really need more like your brother-in-law to be there for contingency situations. We know it will not go as planned. Good idea. -- Mike

I would appreciate there being a stand-by on this. I have a couple of things cooking that might cause a problem if the dates fall wrong.

How about some contingency plans? A central phone number, a list of names, routes, and ph #s to give him. Think ahead to if the next guy doesn't show, will I be able to take him to the subsequent stop (charts), where is the nearest airline-airport at each stage of the route

I knew I was on to somethin!! Wonder how manny Hennings will turn up. We may have to have a gathering the night before the flight to pick the real Henning!! :yes:

Dave Siciliano said:
I knew I was on to somethin!! Wonder how manny Hennings will turn up. We may have to have a gathering the night before the flight to pick the real Henning!! :yes:
Well, there's always the "docking the yacht in the hurricane" test. That should weed out an imposter or two.

Dave Siciliano said:

I want a picture of that!

Back