Can they pull an HSI from plane to test?

Jmcmanna

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jmcmanna
My plane is currently down getting an engine overhaul. Before this, I was having an issue with my Century HSI and/or Bendix GPS. Some Googling leads me to believe it is probably the HSI. There is an avionics shop on the field; can I pull the HSI and bring it to them to test and see if it needs to be overhauled/replaced? I’d like to deal with this now while the plane is grounded anyway. Would this be in the realm of something the average avionics shop could do?

My plane is currently down getting an engine overhaul. Before this, I was having an issue with my Century HSI and/or Bendix GPS. Some Googling leads me to believe it is probably the HSI. There is an avionics shop on the field; can I pull the HSI and bring it to them to test and see if it needs to be overhauled/replaced? I’d like to deal with this now while the plane is grounded anyway. Would this be in the realm of something the average avionics shop could do?

Most avionics shops do not do instrument testing and repair.

Try midcontinent instruments, they are pricey but my avionics guy swears by their work

HSI are not repaired. The entire instrument gets an overhaul. $2500 would be a rough estimate.

I have a Century HSI I’m selling on the cheap. Pulled it for the G5. PM me for details.

This is why I am trying to figure out if it’s the HSI...I don’t want to repair/overhaul it, I want to replace it with a G5 if there is in fact an issue with it. Since the plane is down and the battery isn’t connected, I was hoping to work on that issue separately and get things ordered for when the engine OH is done.

I would just bite the bullet and upgrade now.

You will need a Part 145 Repair Station with an Instrument Rating to repair/overhaul the HSI. And while you can remove it, you will need either the shop or a mechanic to reinstall it.

I’ve been on the fence with this for a while, so I scheduled the G5 install today. I’ll have a new engine, touchscreen WAAS GPS, and a pair of G5’s....I can’t think of anything else I will need for the next 2000 hours!

I’ve been on the fence with this for a while, so I scheduled the G5 install today. I’ll have a new engine, touchscreen WAAS GPS, and a pair of G5’s....I can’t think of anything else I will need for the next 2000 hours!
Remember that we will need before and after pics to verify this.

Congrats on your choice.

You’ll love the G5.

Back