Can someone explain "tilt angle" in Forrest Gump terms

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
as it applies to an attitude indicator? I have a Piper Cherokee 140 and I don't know nuttin' 'bout no tilt angle. I'm thinking of exchanging my vacuum AI to either a Dynon or the Garmin G5.

I'm pretty sure that's a reference to the angle of the plane of the instrument panel in relation to vertical when the aircraft is in level flight. In other words is the gyro instrument going to be installed in a panel that is tilted from vertical. I don't think you need to worry about it as, iirc, the instrument panel in a Cherokee is vertical (zero tilt). You should double check that with your mechanic or an avionics shop, just to be certain.

Something to look at when it's getting weighed. Since in that process it's lifted and held where Straight and level should be, and you can then check for any tilt in the panel.

Something to look at when it's getting weighed. Since in that process it's lifted and held where Straight and level should be, and you can then check for any tilt in the panel.

I would just put a digital protractor across the leveling points, zero it and then measure the panel tilt.

Looks as if the leveling points are 90 degrees to the panel, therefore a zero degree tilt in my case.

Well that's good. Ditch your old AI and have at it with a G5. You won't have to worry about putting it in the TC spot and the extra cost that comes with it.

But the Dynon has an AOA!
:D

I find the Dynon to be a bit ugly. I'm so vain. The graphics are out of a Commodore 64 or something. Maybe it looks better in person than the screenshots they have posted.

Most of the AIs I've seen have a little calibration wheel on the side to take care of tilt. You just adjust the guts of the instrument to be level and that's that. Now if you are talking IAs instead, most of us are more than a little tilted.

Jim

Back