Can real airplanes do this stuff?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I love watching aerobatics, but the RC guys seem to be doing some pretty awesome stuff. Maybe I am not looking in the right place for videos. Stuff like this is pretty cool!

RC helicopters that have collective can do some crazy stuff in the hands of a skilled operator.

Most of those RCs have a power to rate ratio that would scare a F16

All it is is a factor of power to weight ratio. I could probably get an MX to do it using a heavy flow nitrous oxide setup, probably 800-1000hp would hang it from the prop, but torque and translation may prove problematic without contra-rotating props. I think it was Ryan who did the Pogo project for the Navy that proved the concept.

That's not an airplane, it's a helicopter.

The last time I saw Wayne Handley fly he was supposed to be flying his Turbine Raven but the delivery was late so he had the piston version. The turbine version was supposed to have a thrust output greater than the airplane weight so it should have sustained vertical flight. I'm glad I wasn't there to witness the crash that ended his airshow career. I like watching cool flying. I don't like seeing crashes.

The last time I saw Wayne Handley fly he was supposed to be flying his Turbine Raven but the delivery was late so he had the piston version. The turbine version was supposed to have a thrust output greater than the airplane weight so it should have sustained vertical flight. I'm glad I wasn't there to witness the crash that ended his airshow career. I like watching cool flying. I don't like seeing crashes.

It was my understanding that he made a full recovery. Did his injuries leave him physically unable to perform or did he elect to cease airshow performances due to that crash?

It was my understanding that he made a full recovery. Did his injuries leave him physically unable to perform or did he elect to cease airshow performances due to that crash?

He is still flying. Doesn't fly air shows anymore to my knowledge but he is still active as a CFI specializing in aerobatics and upset recovery. I know several people that have flown with him and they all said it was a great experience.

Wayne Handley Aerosports

He is still flying. Doesn't fly air shows anymore to my knowledge but he is still active as a CFI specializing in aerobatics and upset recovery. I know several people that have flown with him and they all said it was a great experience.

Wayne Handley Aerosports

Add me to the list of folks who say "it was a great experience" - I flew with Wayne for an hour (actually 2 ~half-hour) flights in his Extra a few years ago after my wife surprised me with a gift of an hour of flight time with him. Even tough I've been fortunate to be able to fly a Pitts for the last decade, I really enjoyed both the experience of flying the Extra, and even more so the experience of flying with Wayne - highly recommended!

I hope he at least won a Darwin Award for that.

You don't really mean that I hope. My understanding of the DA is it is 'awarded' only for fatalities. Therefore, to wish one 'wins' is to wish him dead if only for his apparent stupidity. Which means the same applies to me about 100 times and counting.

You don't really mean that I hope. My understanding of the DA is it is 'awarded' only for fatalities. Therefore, to wish one 'wins' is to wish him dead if only for his apparent stupidity. Which means the same applies to me about 100 times and counting.

Well, he is already dead, so wishing him an award for it isn't really wishing him dead at this point. However a Darwin Award does get enough publicity it might make other idiots think twice about flying a Cuisinart right next to their head.

All it is is a factor of power to weight ratio. I could probably get an MX to do it using a heavy flow nitrous oxide setup, probably 800-1000hp would hang it from the prop, but torque and translation may prove problematic without contra-rotating props. I think it was Ryan who did the Pogo project for the Navy that proved the concept.

Well, there are also some physical limitations for the pilot. There are a couple guys out there doing incredible things with real planes, but a lot of the stuff I see RC fliers doing would simply put so much G loading into the pilot that their eyes would pop out.

Back