Can of Soda - Explosive decompression danger to cargo hold?

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Interesting discussion on another forum took an aviation turn. Discussion about a package being opened by the USPS because of suspected soda.

Question arose concerning why soda isn't allowed to be shipped via air. Argument going on right now about whether a can of soda in a non-pressurized hold could pose a risk to the aircraft in any form. This would be on a USPS aircraft.

Any mechanics wanna chime in? My position is its unlikely, but in a court of law (discussing possibility of suing the USPS for improper search) the RISK (real or imagined) would be used to justify the search and find the USPS teller/supervisor at no fault.

Not going to cause immediate physical damage, but the stuff is highly corrosive, so I can understand why air carriers would want to ban it.

First class mail apparently in this case is where its prohibited. Don't ask me why.

First class mail apparently in this case is where its prohibited. Don't ask me why.
USPS is trying to put itself out of business. I had trouble trying to ship an oil sample through them. They claimed it was explosive. You get bad infor form the counter people. Here is what the DMM states
DMM 601.2.4 Liquids
Mailers must mark the outer container of a mailpiece containing liquid to indicate the nature of the contents. Mailers must package and mail liquids under the following conditions:

a. Use screw-on caps, soldering, clips, or similar means to close mailpieces containing liquids. Do not use only friction-top closures (push-down types).

b. Liquids in steel pails and drums with positive closures, such as locking rings or recessed spouts under screw-cap closures, may be mailed without additional packaging.

c. Package glass and other breakable containers of liquid with a capacity of more than 4 fluid ounces according to the following requirements:

1. Cushion the primary container with material sufficient to absorb all leakage in case of breakage.

2. Place the primary container inside another sealed, leakproof container (secondary container), such as a can or plastic bag.

3. Use an outer mailing container that is strong enough to protect the contents.

d. As an alternative to 2.4c above, mailers may use containers certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) that passed ISTA's Test Procedure 3A. Mailers must provide their ISTA 3A Package-Product Certification Notice at the time of mailing as verification that the mailpieces they are submitting passed the required performance test.

There are other topics that list restrictions or prohibitions for some types of liquids. You did not mention what kind of liquid you are trying to send, nor did you say where it would be shipped. This info could make a huge difference in my answer.

Mailing Standards are available online in our Domestic Mail Manual or International Mail Manual.
Basically it says that soda has to be double packed in a leakproof container.

Last edited:
I'd guess the issue is more one of water damage to adjacent parcels and the potential for a messy clean-up than anything else.

I am sure that is why the DMM regulations state double packaging for items over 4oz with one of the packages being leak proof.

3 ounces but you durn well better have it in a quart - no more, no less - zip lock baggie... ;)

In the days before the ban on carry-on liquids, my wife was on a United Express flight. Seated next to her was a woman who had a souvenir bottle of wine in her carry-on in the overhead bin.

When that very turbulent flight was over, there was a huge purple stain running down the sidewall panel from the overhead bin, and the passenger had a repair bill from the airline. :cheerswine:

We are not talking about bringing soda on a commercial flight. We are tlaking about shipping it via the Us Postal system.

You either missed the smiley or are humor impaired. ;)

I think our minds could rest at ease if we're just worried about rogue soda.

USPS is trying to put itself out of business. I had trouble trying to ship an oil sample through them. They claimed it was explosive. You get bad infor form the counter people. Here is what the DMM states...

Basically it says that soda has to be double packed in a leakproof container.

Section 601.10.12.1 (Hazardous Class 2 - Gasses - Definition) of the DMM says:

b. Division 2.2, Nonflammable, Nontoxic Gases. A material that does not meet the definition of Division 2.1 or 2.3 and exerts in its packaging an absolute pressure of 40.6 psi (280 kPa) or greater at 68°F (20°C).

A little googling shows a room temperature soda can probably crosses this pressure threshold, especially if shaken, err, "jostled in shipping." Bets the USPS considers sodas a Hazmat.

Y'all better run for the hills. I have a Coke and I know how to use it!

I think our minds could rest at ease if we're just worried about rogue soda.
Knowing these realities, America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof -- the smoking gun -- that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud of soda froth.

Knowing these realities, America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof -- the smoking gun -- that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud of soda froth.

As silly as that sounds and was written in jest, there someone out there, who is probably in a position to establish policy or fear, that actually seriously believes it.

Rest assured that even when policy is established and we're protected, a thoroughly shaken 12 oz pop can at 6000AGL on a hot summer afternoon that is opened quickly (which by the way spews out approximately 34 gallons of liquid froth) in the lap of the pilot of the dreaded Cessna 150 is totally incapable of doing any more damage or creating more hazard than soaking the pilot's underwear as it puddles under the pilots derrier. Q.E.D.

We were going camping in my Bonanza and part of the food supplies was a bag of potato(e) chips. Climbing through 9 thousand a loud BANG came from the back seat (sort of like a shotgun going off). The bag blew up - no damage though.
Skip

We were going camping in my Bonanza and part of the food supplies was a bag of potato(e) chips. Climbing through 9 thousand a loud BANG came from the back seat (sort of like a shotgun going off). The bag blew up - no damage though.
Skip

I have had several chip bag pop on me in my glider. Usually they go somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 feet. I have never had one go bang. Usually it is just a muffled POP. usually it is only a small break in the bag and never have I even lost any chips when it did it. Of course these are smaller bags.

I don't know that a pop can on a an airliner should be any problem. Maybe if they had a decompression problem. But then the airlines serve pop out of a can all the time.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Back