Can IFR in a LSA be legal?

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
Say I have my IR and am current (neither of which is true). Can I legally fly IFR in a S-LSA that is fully IFR equipped? What about an E-LSA also fully IFR equipped?

I’m not a troll, just wondering.

legally equipped LSA's are few and far between, but I'm not aware of any reg preventing it if you have what is required.

legally equipped LSA's are few and far between, but I'm not aware of any reg preventing it if you have what is required.
Thanks. AFAIK, Evektor SportStars are fully IFR equipped.

The ASTM standards which govern S-LSA do not allow operation in IMC. You can file/fly IFR if rated and equipped, but only in VMC.

E-LSA aircraft can operate IFR in IMC if the operating limitations for the aircraft do not prohibit it.

so you have to either build a E-LSA or convert a S-LSA to E-LSA in order to legally fly IFR in IMC

The ASTM standards which govern S-LSA do not allow operation in IMC. You can file/fly IFR if rated and equipped, but only in VMC.

E-LSA aircraft can operate IFR in IMC if the operating limitations for the aircraft do not prohibit it.

so you have to either build a E-LSA or convert a S-LSA to E-LSA in order to legally fly IFR in IMC
Thanks for the clarification.

That may be the new ASTM but my understanding is there was at least a short period of time about 12-15 years ago when IFR in an S-LSA was legal - there is a FD CTLS at a local airport that is purportedly legal for IFR in IMC, so ti seems one must still do the research in the individual case.

That may be the new ASTM but my understanding is there was at least a short period of time about 12-15 years ago when IFR in an S-LSA was legal - there is a FD CTLS at a local airport that is purportedly legal for IFR in IMC, so ti seems one must still do the research in the individual case.

From my research it seems that things may have changed in 2010. I know a guy with an S-LSA that was built in 2007 which also appears to be legal for IMC.

I seem to recall Jay Maynard’s Zenith 601 was IFR legal. He had hoped one day that he could fly it IFR if the FAA rules changed and he could either get a medical or not need one for IFR flight anymore (which I think has happened since then - I forget what his limiting condition was).

I only found 2 manufacturers that had IFR options for their LSAs on the ByDanJohnson website.

The Operating Limitations for my 2008 AMD CH601XLi-B SLSA permit IFR operations in IMC:
N601KE Operating Limitations April 6 2008 – IFR Flight said:
Unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with part 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.

Aircraft instruments and equipment installed and used under CFR Part 91.205 must be inspected and maintained in accordance with the requirements of CFR Part 91. Any maintenance or inspection of this equipment must be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records.
My airplane is equipped for both night and instrument flight in accordance with part 91.205. I believe the ASTM rules changed around 2010 to not permit flight in IMC, but after converting to experimental flight in IMC may be permitted as reflected in my revised Operating Limitations.

After converting the airworthiness certification to experimental (ELSA) on November 29, 2016, the new Operating Limitations read:
N601KE Operating Limitations November 29 2016 - IFR Flight said:
Day VFR flight is authorized.

Night flight operations are authorized if the instruments specified in FAR 91.205(c) are installed, operational, and maintained in accordance with the applicable requirements of part 91.

Instrument flight operations are authorized if the instruments specified in FAR 91.205(d) are installed, operational, and maintained in accordance with the applicable requirements of part 91. All maintenance or inspection of this equipment must be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records and include the following items: date, work performed, and name and certificate number of person returning the aircraft to service.

SLSA_601XL_INFO_PACK pg 01.jpg SLSA_601XL_INFO_PACK pg 08.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW ... do a YouTube search using "S2E2 - IFR/IMC Approaches in a Light Sport" and you can see several videos of IFR flying in a beautiful turbo Bristell LSA.

The operating limitation boilerplates as of 2017 have verbiage that if included in your operating limitations may preclude an E-LSA from flying IFR if the S-LSA was originally not allowed to. Check it out. If you have operating limitations that are favorable to you it may be good to make sure you don't update them and get something you don't want.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/FAA_Order_8130.2J.pdf Table D-1.

Back