can I take a Commercial checkride in an experimental?

bluee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
AL
I know that an experimental cannot be used for commercial purposes, but I was just wondering if I could take the checkride in one. How about any checkrides?
No I haven't started commercial training, just mulling things over.

If it's a retract and you can find an examiner who will get in it, I don't know why not.:dunno:

I know that an experimental cannot be used for commercial purposes, but I was just wondering if I could take the checkride in one. How about any checkrides?
No I haven't started commercial training, just mulling things over.

Would that include the complex? I believe you must fly an RG at some point on the practical.... Not that many experimental RG's out there.

Would that include the complex? I believe you must fly an RG at some point on the practical.... Not that many experiemental RG's out there.

:confused: Tons of them out there. iIRC her dad has a Seawind which would allow her to do CSEL & CSES in the same ride like I did in a Lake.

Yes, it's RG, and HP.

:confused: Tons of them out there. iIRC her dad has a Seawind which would allow her to do CSEL & CSES in the same ride like I did in a Lake.

Well I hadn't thought of that.

You need to fly it down here and give me a ride.:D We'll go over to the Bahamas and I'll show you my favorite spots if you want.

My parents own a lot on some island in the Bahamas. They always meant to build a vacation house but never did. I think it's in the middle of nowhere.

My parents own a lot on some island in the Bahamas. They always meant to build a vacation house but never did. I think it's in the middle of nowhere.

"Middle of nowhere" describes 98% of the Bahamas lol. I'll treat to a cabin at Staniel Cay if you take me up on it though.;)

"Middle of nowhere" describes 98% of the Bahamas lol. I'll treat to a cabin at Staniel Cay if you take me up on it though.;)

I'm sure you'd love the toddler and the German Shepherd in the back seat. At least a Seawind has a back seat. Actually, you can haul a ton of stuff in that thing. The back seat folds down, and the rest of the fuselage is storage. There are photos of canoes and kayaks in Seawinds.

I'm sure you'd love the toddler and the German Shepherd in the back seat. At least a Seawind has a back seat. Actually, you can haul a ton of stuff in that thing. The back seat folds down, and the rest of the fuselage is storage. There are photos of canoes and kayaks in Seawinds.

It's all good lol, kids love feeding the pig. I've always been a fan of the Seawind, would love to have one.

When a test pilot takes a seawind up for its first flight, do they bother with a chute? In other words, could someone bail from a seawind with the overhead fan?

I love seawinds too. Offering rides? I'll pick up the gas!

When a test pilot takes a seawind up for its first flight, do they bother with a chute? In other words, could someone bail from a seawind with the overhead fan?

I love seawinds too. Offering rides? I'll pick up the gas!

Well my father didn't have a chute on, he was the test pilot. The canopy opens from the front, so someone could bail out. The airplane is currently in PA, but someday will be relocated here.

Attachments

• DSC01516.JPG
    DSC01516.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 66
Back to the original question. Yes you can take it in an experimental if the examiner is comfortable flying in the airplane. A friend of mine took his in his father in law's Nanchang CJ-6 experimental/exhibition. Don

The instructor involved must also be happy to fly in it, as well as the DPE, but other than that, as long as it's complex, it's legal. Note that there are many reasons why someone would not be happy to get in any particular E-AB aircraft, so don't be shocked or stunned if the first instructor or DPE you ask chooses to decline, but if you ask around, you'll probably find someone as long as the plane isn't a complete train-wreck.

And remember that a "complex" landplane requires flaps and a controllable pitch prop, not just retractable gear.

Back to the original question. Yes you can take it in an experimental if the examiner is comfortable flying in the airplane. A friend of mine took his in his father in law's Nanchang CJ-6 experimental/exhibition.
You may have trouble completing the training and other requirements in an Experimental-Exhibition aircraft, depending on its operating limitations, which are sometimes very restrictive. Check what they say before committing to such a plan. OTOH, once the initial Phase 1 and 2 flights are done, Experimental-Amateur Built operating limitations normally allow all the training and other experience flying to be accomplished.

It's all good lol, kids love feeding the pig. I've always been a fan of the Seawind, would love to have one.

If you are seriously interested, there is a yearly Seawind Splash-In. I didn't go to the one a few weeks ago in NY, but I went last year in NC. There were eight planes, one from Saskatchewan. He flies that airplane everywhere. Mainly people who have finished building help others who are not yet finished, so I do know there are several more Seawinds in the pipeline.

Only if the cabin has indoor plumbing.
Actually that airplane is made for flying where there isn't available fuel. It has main, outer, and tip tanks and can hold a total of 150 gallons of fuel.

If you are seriously interested, there is a yearly Seawind Splash-In. I didn't go to the one a few weeks ago in NY, but I went last year in NC. There were eight planes, one from Saskatchewan. He flies that airplane everywhere. Mainly people who have finished building help others who are not yet finished, so I do know there are several more Seawinds in the pipeline.

Only if the cabin has indoor plumbing.
Actually that airplane is made for flying where there isn't available fuel. It has main, outer, and tip tanks and can hold a total of 150 gallons of fuel.

The cabins at SCYC are quite nice, even have a pool and dinner at the club at 5. There's even a runway right up the street so the plane doesn't have to sit in the water or beach.

Well my father didn't have a chute on, he was the test pilot. The canopy opens from the front, so someone could bail out. The airplane is currently in PA, but someday will be relocated here.

Very cool. Where in pa? Do they let you land in most lakes in PA? Not many sea planes around here.

They just moved the plane from FL to PA, Pennridge Airport (CKZ). I have no idea if you can land on lakes in PA.

My father was also a pilot for Pan Am, which I'm mentioning since you have a photo in your avatar.

Remember that complex means more than just retractable gear. It also has to have a controllable pitch prop and flaps (hence the reason a Learjet does not meet the FAA definition of a complex aircraft)

Remember that complex means more than just retractable gear. It also has to have a controllable pitch prop and flaps (hence the reason a Learjet does not meet the FAA definition of a complex aircraft)

Brings up an interesting question, does a type rating supersede other endorsements?

Brings up an interesting question, does a type rating supersede other endorsements?
Moot question, because there is no legal way to get a type rating without already having any necessary 61.31 endorsements, since you're acting as PIC on the practical test for that rating. And I have heard of a CFI sending someone for a CP ride without a complex endorsement -- checkride didn't even start.

Last edited:
Moot question, because there is no legal way to get a type rating without already having any necessary 61.31 endorsements, since you're acting as PIC on the practical test for that rating.

What about type ratings issued in simulators?

What about type ratings issued in simulators?
In the unlikely circumstance that the applicant does not already have a complex endorsement, then that person would need to have one signed before acting as PIC of the real aircraft. Note that a complex endorsement can be done in an appropriate flight simulator, so it could be done as part of the training for the rating ride or, if the examiner is a CFI, based on the practical test in the sim. However, the FAA has said in the past that when an endorsement is required, it must be there unless one of the alternatives specifically authorized in the regulations (like grandfathering for complex, or a practical test for a certificate/rating in lieu of flight review) is accomplished.

Yes I know. The airplane I'm talking about has RG, controllable pitch prop, and flaps.

Back