"Can I speak with the person in charge of credit card processing?"

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Line 6 at the salvage yard rings in (which is clue# 1 it's telemarketer since we don't advertise that number any more), and after announcing myself, the caller says, ""Can I speak with the person in charge of credit card processing?"

Mike: "Sure, but it's a different phone number, do you have your pencil ready to copy it?"

TM: "Yes."

Mike: "Ask for Michelle, and call 202-456-1111" (google it)

Other times, I'll say, "Call 512-463-2100, and speak with Ken Paxton"

Or, "Call 512-463-1782, and speak with Greg A."

What ways to you like to use to mess with unwanted telemarketers that makes them think they are actually being successful?

I like to ask them to wait a few minutes and then just put the phone down and walk away. I like to waste their time just like they did to me. "Oh, I'm sorry you have the wrong person but I can get him for you. Can you hold on for a few minutes?"

I like to ask them to wait a few minutes and then just put the phone down and walk away. I like to waste their time just like they did to me. "Oh, I'm sorry you have the wrong person but I can get him for you. Can you hold on for a few minutes?"

That's what I do, just lay it down and pick it up after a few minutes and they're gone. Lately I just cut them off and say I am not interested, bye bye.

They are getting a bit more annoying for sure. You could always pull the Seinfeld approach:

I used to tell them "He's deceased". If they ask for someone else, I do the "just a minute" drill.

Since I switched to cable phone, the nomorobo app works 95% on the time. One ring and there're gone. If somebody sneaks thru, it's back to "just a minute" drill.

Cheers

This obviously doesn't work if you're running a business, but if I don't recognize a number I don't pick up. There have been a handful of times that I've broken that rule, and I think I've regretted it every time.

Others I've used:
(tack put phone down and walk away after each line)
"Help, Help me. I'm having a heart attack."
"It's done. There's blood everywhere."
"Mommy doesn't let me talk on the phone. Mommy!"
"Mort's Tavern. Mort Speaking. I'll get him\her."

My wife gets mad. She comes home and the phone is off the hook (for hours).

I used to do the "hang on a minute" and put the phone down. It turned out to make about half of them mad enough to just keep calling for the sheer aggravation to me. Now I use a different approach, I interrupt them at the beginning and tell them that I never, ever buy anything over the phone, but i am a gentleman and I will listen to you pitch before I tell you no, works every time and they take me off their list.

I used to have my business line forwarding to my cell phone and if I got a call while driving (have speakerphone) I would see how long I could keep them on the line and twist and mis-understand every one of their questions while pretending to be interested just to screw with them. Usually had passengers in tears.

Now I use Google Voice for my business line and my life is much more peaceful!

If I don't recognize the number on caller id, I won't pick up and I let the voice mail system get it. If I recognize the voice or determine I do need to speak to whomever is calling, I'll pick up or let them finish and call them right back. We've got some bill collectors trying to get me to pay bills for a deceased relative and I don't even bother to listen to the messages if they even leave one now.

I get the guy for debt collection services. Always says " I hear your the hardest working guy in town "

And I say " and I hear your biggest Douche. Bag to call today "

NOMOROBO works wonders. It intercepts a lot of these.

Just say you want to be put on the no call list.

About as useful as rubber lips on a woodpecker for cold calling robot telemarketers. They ignore it. I used to get the "Your credit card is fine" and "Hello Seniors" robot calls several times a week

Cheers

One thing I've noticed more of in the past year or so is that the telemarketers are now more frequently using phone numbers from my own area code. I'm sure people are more likely to pick up if the number appears to be a local call.

They're professional telemarketers; I'm a professional telemarketee. I ask for their mailing address so I can send them an Application for Telemarketee Services. After they fill it out (name, address, employer, date of birth, SSN, etc.) and return it, and after the routine credit and criminal background checks (always entertaining) I'll notify them if it's approved. If it is, they can send their check for the first hour (I bill in 15-minute increments, one hour minimum). When the check clears, I'll contact them to schedule an appointment.

When I see a number that I do not recognize, in my best old lady that is bored and smokes constantly voice:

"Thank you for calling the Bijou Theater. Today is a special day for you movie goers as we have a double feature, 'It Came From Mars' and 'The Blob That Ate New York'. Show time is 2PM, 6PM and 10PM. Please no children for the 10PM showing. Thank you and lets all go to the movies.!!!"

One thing I've noticed more of in the past year or so is that the telemarketers are now more frequently using phone numbers from my own area code. I'm sure people are more likely to pick up if the number appears to be a local call.

It's called number spoofing, and it's not hard to do.
I got a call from my favorite, "Rachel, from card holder services" the other day. Imagine my surprise, the call was coming from my own phone number.

In fact, they are using not only the same area code but often the same exchange as my phone. I don't answer those.

For any question that includes "the person in charge of ____" I respond the same way: "Sorry, I can only connect you to employees you request by name. Have a nice day"

We just turn off the land line each evening. Anyone we care to talk to has our cell numbers. . .

I had one at work call me back and tell me I was rude for hanging up on her. I said, 'Guess I get to be rude twice'. Selling junk office supplies.

Last edited:
I get about 3 or 4 calls per week for credit card processing, my responses range from, we are happy with our current company to we only accept cash. The cash one throws them off, sometimes I go into the part about our business being "under the radar" and our customers don't want to be tracked! :eek: Sometimes I just hang up, but if they are polite, I will be polite as well. :)

Tell them your company is in bankruptcy proceedings!

Back