Can I really make snow this way?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I like snow. I like it a lot. My kids LOVE snow.
I have no idea what wet and dry bulb temperature are but I am wondering if I am setting myself up for major disappointment if I spend money on this potentially amazing snow generator.

Okay, my next question is this...
Suppose I got the bulb temps in the right place and just bought a nice power washer, would it possibly do the same thing?

I want snow dang it!!!

It would be worth a grand just to be the only house in the neighborhood with snow.

I have no idea what wet and dry bulb temperature are but I am wondering if I am setting myself up for major disappointment if I spend money on this potentially amazing snow generator.

Suppose I got the bulb temps in the right place and just bought a nice power washer, would it possibly do the same thing?

I want snow dang it!!!

It would be worth a grand just to be the only house in the neighborhood with snow.
Hang on, I'll mail you some.

Yah they use something similar here in MN to make snow if we don't get enough for the ski hills.

Just stay away from the yellow snow....

The problem with snow is, you see, it will eventually turn into water, which will turn the yard into mud...

my brother-in-law built one of these things for his backyard so they could have snow here in the winter for the kids to play in, it worked decently well and was a pretty cool little project

I want snow dang it!!!

Do it. You will have to give up the right to ever say "get those kids of my lawn" though.

Yup, another solution to a first-world problem...

I get at least 5 months of winter snow every year where I am (this year the first snowfall was on Sept 13). Send the kids on up. I'll make sure there's snow shovels available for all. I figure 3 days should cure them once and for all. ;)

Yah they use something similar here in MN to make snow if we don't get enough for the ski hills.
I wonder if any of the ski resorts have any surplus they'd want to sell for cheap?

Viking Ocean cruises have a "snow room" in the spa, just next to the hot tub, sauna, and steam room. Might ask them.
viking-snow-room.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

The Grumman's cavernous luggage area could haul a heap o' snow.

You can drop some off at home, and still fly around at Christmas scattering it about.

Saint Papa Charlie?
Six Papa Claus?
Frosty the Snowman?
Scarface? (Oops wrong kind of snow)

Dear Saint Papa,
I want a new airplane. With wings, and machine guns.
That shoot M&M's.

Viking Ocean cruises have a "snow room" in the spa, just next to the hot tub, sauna, and steam room. Might ask them.
viking-snow-room.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

LOL. Nothing better than feeling like you are in a winter cave in Norway while floating around the Caribbean with 929 other people. :D
And I though owning and flying an airplane was indulgent. :p

As a kid, my parents and I lived right at the base of a popular Michigan ski resort, which from ages 8-18, from November to March, I practically spent every day there skiing. They made snow with snow guns that looked/worked just like a bigger version of that thing. A couple of things I remember:
1). Snow making is LOUD! Sounds like a jet engine on takeoff. It would probably pi$$ off your neighbors.
2). It takes a LOT of water (as someone mentioned=mud when it melts).
3). Compared to real snow, artificial snow sucks. It’s like styrofoam, or the frost in your freezer. Of course, compared to “no snow”, it’s pretty good.

2). It takes a LOT of water (as someone mentioned=mud when it melts).

That seems confusing. Maybe it's the difference between real snow and fake snow. I remember weather forecasters telling us 1" of rain equals 1' of snow. As snow comes in different forms, that could vary.

That seems confusing. Maybe it's the difference between real snow and fake snow. I remember weather forecasters telling us 1" of rain equals 1' of snow. As snow comes in different forms, that could vary.
Of course, I’m remembering a ski hill, with a large area, but their snow guns were fed with high pressure 3-4” lines. As a teen, my friends and I all got part-time jobs there, and we ran the chair lifts, drove their snowmobiles, etc. But, they wouldn’t let us touch the snow guns due to the high pressure water lines.

I remember weather forecasters telling us 1" of rain equals 1' of snow.
lettuce assume that you want to bury a 50 foot by 50 foot space with your one foot of snow. Assuming your rememberating is accurate, that means 1 inch of water so 50*12*50*12*1 = 360,000 cubic inches of water.
360,000 cubic inches * 0.004329 gallons per cubic inch = 1,558 gallons of water.
Also, artificial snow is pretty crappy icy snow - so you likely won't get nearly the 12 inches of snow from the 1 inch of water.

There are many types of snow making equipment; which can produce many types of snow. The latest versions no longer use high pressure water and air lines, instead they have fans which look like jet engines and pump the water out of misters into the air stream.
Way back when I got a tour of the operations center of Wisp Ski Resort they covered the basics. You can have larger crystals which are good for building a base, all the way up to fluffy snow which most closely resembles dry powder. Temp and relative humidity play a factor in the "quality" and the size of the snow crystals.
Last point, I recall they saying something like between 25% and 75% of the water they spray ends up on the ground. The rest is lost due to evaporation and/or wind. The larger the crystals the more ends up on the ground, the better the snow "quality" for skiing, the less ends up on the ground.

Tim

Another thing to consider, years ago, there used to be a "ski hill" built on a landfill just up the street from me. They finally gave it up because even with snow making machines, they couldn't keep enough snow on Mt. Trashmore to keep the place open. Now, I will admit this is southern Michigan, and Mr. 6PC lives in NORTHERN Texas, but...

If you know snow, you really don't want it in your yard, but here you go.

You’re gonna need more than a flu shot to make this happen in a Texas. We got about a foot of new snow last night. Still snowing...

Another thing to consider, years ago, there used to be a "ski hill" built on a landfill just up the street from me. They finally gave it up because even with snow making machines, they couldn't keep enough snow on Mt. Trashmore to keep the place open. Now, I will admit this is southern Michigan, and Mr. 6PC lives in NORTHERN Texas, but...
Ah yes, Mt Trashmore in Riverview...I always wondered if there was extra heat, coming through the ground, from the decaying trash...

It's fun to play in the snow for a couple hours.

But, a couple hours is all I need for the entire year.

LOL. Nothing better than feeling like you are in a winter cave in Norway while floating around the Caribbean with 929 other people. :D
You just described my October. On the plus side, I came back with a new Batik flying scarf. On the minus side, we visited seven Caribbean islands and I saw only three GA aircraft (other than tourist helicopters). Two of the three were apparent derelicts.

The snow grotto was nice after the sauna...100+ degree temperature change.

Ron Wanttaja

Back