can I log solo time with another pilot in the cockpit?

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
I'm still presolo, but one of my cfis former students mentioned that once I do solo that I should call him sometime and we could share some rental time.

Can I log my time at the controls as solo, or does he log it all as pic?

Solo means just that - no other living human being in the cockpit.

-Skip

I assume this former student is now a certificated pilot?

Yeah, he just got his ifr certification.

That's what I thought. I think he might be trying to pick up hours and have me pay for some without the benefit of logging time.
In this case then, since you are still a student you cannot log PIC unless you're the sole person in the airplane, thus means you cannot log solo time either. Get your certificate and do this same scenario with your buddy and then you can log some time.

That's what I thought. I think he might be trying to pick up hours and have me pay for some without the benefit of logging time.

Possibly trying to use you as a safety pilot and split cost. even then you can't even be a safety pilot for him under the hood. You won't be able to log anything flying with him and surely not solo. Solo is you being the sole occupant of the aircraft.

I bet so! Great idea! Only...if you off him enroute, it may make the true cost of the loggable hours seem egregiously high.

All in all, it sounds like to me the former student is looking for someone to help pay part of the rental cost. Only benefit to you would be to sit back and enjoy the view, because legally you could not act as a safety pilot for him. You would be better off putting that money towards actual instruction for your certificate.

You can log it; you just can't use it for the solo time for your Private. Won't do you any good for a rating, but you can record whatever you want to.

Back