Can I fly a plane?

Interesting.

Funny thing, my daughter is here (she's 26) and I mentioned it to her and she said she wants to get her PPL...lol. She said wait till next year and we will go through it together....lol.

But she mentioned New Castle (PA) airport also does training. She lives in New Castle

I don't typically suggest this, but since there are 2 of you wanting to learn, it may be worthwhile to consider buying a plane to learn to fly in.

She had mentioned about buying one after we get our PPL but she has big ambitions...lol. But it's something we can talk about. I mean she is 26 and owns her own house plus 2 other houses and a 4 plex rental and in the process of buying a 12 unit so when she sets her mind to something she usually does it. She plans to retire next year and live off real estate endeavors. She is a financial advisor currently.

There are risks about not finishing if you buy a plane to learn in, but if you partner up (with someone you really trust), that risk is cut in half.

Having said that, if you buy anything that is not Sport Pilot Eligible (https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot see "What types of airplanes..."), then I suggest you both get your medicals before you buy. In fact, if you want to get a PPL next year, I suggest you (and possibly her also), find an AME in your area to schedule a consult (Do Not Fill Out ANY Paperwork before talking to the AME).

As soon as you fill out the paperwork, if you are not eligible for a Class 3, you lose Sport Pilot Privileges, so meet with an AME before you do anything.

The risk at her age is not quite as great, but it still may be worthwhile for her to meet with an AME for a Consult too.

That's interesting about the Class 3 rejection. Definitely good to know that. Thanks!

So I'm going to be 52 soon and was in a car accident when I was 4 and cannot use my right arm at all. I can squeeze something between my arm and stomach but that's about it. I did some Google searches and found some that said as long as you can do it safely you can get certified? I can drive a manual (althouth my drivers license has it restricted) but I can still do it and did for years. I used to ride dirt bikes when I was younger by moving the throttle to the left side so the throttle and clutch were on the same side. I mention this to show that I can adapt if need be.

I have never been in any aircraft of this type and have only flown on airliners and obviously never been in the cockpit of one.

Is this something that would be possible? Thinking if I do proceed I would likely be looking at 152/172 or maybe down the road a 310 or other comparable models.

Thanks!

I think you could.

Where does the paralysis on you arm end? Good shoulder control? Good elbow?

The reason I ask is that the throttle on most training aircraft is typically a push/pull knob just above and to the right of pilot's right knee and if you have good shoulder then all you should need is some DIY tools to interface your arm to it. If you have a good elbow then that's even better.

I'm amputated at the wrist on the right arm. Been flying that way 11 years now.

I think you could.

Where does the paralysis on you arm end? Good shoulder control? Good elbow?

The reason I ask is that the throttle on most training aircraft is typically a push/pull knob just above and to the right of pilot's right knee and if you have good shoulder then all you should need is some DIY tools to interface your arm to it. If you have a good elbow then that's even better.

I'm amputated at the wrist on the right arm. Been flying that way 11 years now.

I have some elbow movement but not real well controlled. My hand is in front of my stomach and I can pull it up towards my chest with a little strength to it but no strength trying to straiten it back out. Shoulder movement is decent but with not much control at the elbow it makes it hard to do much there. There is no hand or finger movement. I was in a car accident when I was 4 and the nerves were ripped from my spinal cord. I could pull throttle back towards me but would not be a linear movement is my hand would be in front of my stomach. But would not have strength to push it in.

Ugh. typed a response but wasn't logged in and now lost it...lol

I have no movement in my hand or fingers. My hand basically sits in front of my stomach and I have some strength to pull it up towards my chest but no strength to push it back down, pretty much gravity doing that. I have some shoulder movement but not much strength or control there. I could probably pull the throttle out but not push it back in with that arm.

Haven't went anywhere yet...lol. I bought Flight Simulator 2020 and the Honeycomb yoke to get the feel of things and gain some familiarity. Talked to my step-son who has a friend with a small plane at a local municipal airport. He is supposed to be finding out more like what type of plane, etc but I'm going to try to set something up for me to go talk to him and check out his plane. If did this I would want to have my own plane and that probably won't be able to happen for another couple of years so no rush here but if I decide it's a go I'll start the lessons pretty quickly. I will keep everyone updated on any decisions and if anyone around the northern Pittsburgh happens to see this and would be ok with me checking out your plane that would be appreciated. Not asking for a ride just want to see the layout and controls to get an idea of what I'm going to be up against

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back