Can I buy a fuel truck and fuel my airplane?

Most fuel pumps are self serve pumps in my area, except at private airports.

Sure. You may still have an airport manager who doesn't want to be complicit in breaking federal law or be involved in the liability chain if you dump your uninsured tote into a roadside ditch or stream. An acquaintance of mine was defense counsel for gas distributors. In a spill, everyone gets sued and it sure helps if you did everything to the t.

I'll also mention that an airport that's sell fuel significantly less than market price is doing so for the purposes of generating traffic. They might not look so kindly to someone showing up and in a tanker and draining their tank with a 750 gallon purchase, potentially wiping out their supply until the next delivery.

I'll also mention that an airport that's sell fuel significantly less than market price is doing so for the purposes of generating traffic. They might not look so kindly to someone showing up and in a tanker and draining their tank with a 750 gallon purchase, potentially wiping out their supply until the next delivery.
That's assuming the airport is the one selling the fuel. At lots of airports, the entity selling the fuel is a tenant of the airport rather than the airport itself.

To bad a person can't find some BIG old HIGH wing plane that's about to be parked for good. Have them land at the local airport. Then call that 100LL truck and have them pump a few hundred gallons into those high wet wing tanks. Then when fuel is needed just gravity drain it back into our small planes. How many rules did that break? Of course, probably no planes like that available.

To bad a person can't find some BIG old HIGH wing plane that's about to be parked for good. Have them land at the local airport. Then call that 100LL truck and have them pump a few hundred gallons into those high wet wing tanks. Then when fuel is needed just gravity drain it back into our small planes. How many rules did that break? Of course, probably no planes like that available.
Big? Check.
Old? Check.
High wing? Check.
Parked for good? Check.

Fill 'er up!

1280px-H-4_Hercules_2.jpg

We could hold our EAA meeting in there too. To bad it doesn't have a watertight ramp on the back so we can drive inside :)

Think pallet tank. I don't know if this was the tank in question but they are used for fuel sometimes.
View attachment 84172

Seeing those things always brings about a cold sweat...

Although they did allow me to pay for my seaplane certificate by trading underwater reconstruction services for flight time/training.

The seaplane base in Hawaii was kept afloat with those. After years of being under seawater, the aluminum cages started to disintegrate and the cubes were twisting and shifting. One at a time I had to puncture them to allow enough water in to make them neutrally buoyant, drag them onto the dock, repair the damage I caused, re-sink them and reposition them (this time without the aluminum cage) under the structure, and refill them with air.

Back